1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 24, 2019.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Fitzmagic was actually pretty good last year, especially given what he had to work with. Compared to the rest of the team, he’s a hardly a liability as long as he continues to play at that level.

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Seahawks sign Dorsett. As long as we didn't pay too much, I'm ok with this.

ironically, ex-Patriots have played better when they join Seattle in recent years than they were in New England.

Coleman, Hollister, Gorden (while he lasted).

I say "ironically" because the opposite is true the majority of the time when patriots players leave to join other teams.

3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

So I didn't know this was a thing until just now, but there are rumors that the Dolphins are willing to give up all 3 of their first-rounders to swap with the Bengals to be able to take Joe Borrow.

If this were to happen, I think it would incredibly dumb for Miami to offer, and equally dumb for the Bengals to refuse.

Three first-round picks is a LOT just to move up 4 spaces, especially when Tua and Herbert both will almost certainly be there at #5.

The Bengals could add WAY more talent to their team in such a short period of time with what will most likely be an insignificant downgrade at QB (We already know Tua is legit and now we know he's healthy).

How is this even a thing? Yet so many people are saying this is the right move for the Dolphins to make.

4. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

While I'm one of the first emphasize on how much the Dolphins have improved, I don't they're Super Bowl favorites, or serious contenders. And by giving a potentially incredible amount of talent for only one player won't help matters either in the long run, probably.

If I want a culture of winning in the long run I'd get Tua (maybe slightly trade up a spot but not all the way to number one where you'd have to give up an arm and leg), but keep most of your draft capital to improve the team at large. Fitzmagick can work his wonders for one more year then set Tua loose in an environment where he will not only have had a year to learn the system (worked for Mahomes and Rodgers), but he will have far more talent to work with.

The Dolphins are an up an coming team, no doubt, but they still have plenty of holes to fill. The Rams, for example, gave up an arm and leg to select Jared Goff. How has that worked out? There's no absolute guarantee that Burrow will be legit at the next level, no matter how successful his college career was (there have been plenty of people who were unbelievably good at college but couldn't translate to the pros for whatever reason), especially when he was only good for one year of his college career.

I agree that he's far more likely to be successful than not, but the chances are not THAT much worse with Tua.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  5. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

New England couldn’t afford to keep their reliable veteran kicker they’ve had for over one decade, because of salary cap reasons. No other kicker on the roster last year was remotely as good.

If the patriots are also going to be trash with at least a significant portion special teams, that means they’ve experienced downgrades at all 3 phases of the game.

Also the Rams lost ANOTHER good player (solid, above average cornerback) to the Eagles, presumably for the same reason.

Rams and Patriots have lost so much talent, all in one offseason.

They will both be jokes in the 2020 season, short of having spectacular drafts or the league being canceled this year for heath related reasons.

6. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I think @rah would attest to reaching for QBs with a less impressive resume than Tua's...

caketastydelish likes this.
  7. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I thought the Eagles aren't paying him that much, and PFF has him rated as a legit starting corner in any event.

8. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I'm tired of so many people (such as Cowherd) seriously indicating that the Pats are going to intentionally tank for Trevor Lawrence.

Does tanking on purpose sound like the Belichick way? Especially if it's right after Brady left. If the Pats go from good to awful as soon as Brady leaves while Belichick is still the head coach, it will look like Belichick had nothing to do with the success the Pats had in the Brady era. Do you think he would intentionally sabotage his legacy just to help the organization draft their next franchise QB? This isn't happening until Belichick voluntary leaves (he's not getting fired).

9. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Why he wouldn’t want Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, or even Jamies Winston over those nobodies is something I wouldn’t understand, supposing they are on the table.

10. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

That sounds pretty hard to achieve, given the lack of talent on the Patriots roster (especially on offense).

I wouldn’t put a nobody rookie into that situation, but that’s just me.

11. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

The problem is, I think their defense won’t be the same.

edit: and as you once said yourself, part of their “best defense” was their schedule.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  12. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Also if by "they won a super bowl with that not long ago" if you're referring to the 2018 Patriots I'm not entirely sure I agree. Their offense wasn't THAT bad that season and Brady was still playing at a reasonably high level, Gronk still there, etc.

For "championship defense with the game manager on offense" the Broncos in Super Bowl 50 sound like a genuine example.

In the Rams vs Pats super bowl itself two years ago was a low scoring game, but that's not indicative of how both teams scored in the entire season.

The Broncos style of play in Super Bowl 50 was the same as how they played in the regular season and playoffs.

13. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

Out of date... but still funny for how accurate is has been for the last two decades:

Spoiler :

rah and caketastydelish like this.
  14. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Not saying Foles is a particularly good starting QB but there’s a legit chance he’s better than Tribusky

If that turns out to be remotely true, I’d say the Bears did pretty well.

The Rams had the worst offseason by far in my opinion. Lost lots tons of talent at once (while getting almost no compensation whatsoever for it) because of no planning for the long term whatsoever which put them in this situation. Even Bill O Brien looks like a genius in comparison because he is at least getting SOME compensation for star Houston players so when Watson + a few others they absolutely need get new contracts, they will have the cap space to do it.

For the second worst offseason I would say the Patriots because they a lost of impacting starting players without really adding any. But I put the Pats as the second worst because unlike the Rams I think the Pats situation was unavoidable, at least for the most part.

Sacrificing a second round pick for Sanu may come to bite them in the ass (especially in a draft deep with WR talent in a year where the Pats got much better picks than they almost always do), but other than that, no particularly bad decision making where they had the choice in the first place.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  15. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Pace has been spending a lot of effort saying how GREAT the off season has been for the Bears.
    The fans think differently and the bears don't win 11 games he'll be gone next year.

16. rah

rah Deity Supporter

And that will be more luck than Pace's skill.
    The last time they won 12 it was playing the last place schedule.
    I don't know what that proves.

17. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I'll have to find that article, 'cuz I think the Texans are right up there.

18. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

The Texans have had a bad offseason but as to who has had the very worst I am going with the Rams. The Rams made no effort whatsoever to plan for the long run, and as a result not only lost a lot of players with basically no compensation whatsoever but ended up eating a lot of dead cap space.

People are particularly complaining about taking on David Johnson's expensive contract but that's not going to matter in the long run, if BOB has the plan I think he does.

Keep Watson on his rookie deal this season, then next season pick up his fifth-year option. Also, since he was drafted past 10th overall his 5th-year option of his rookie is going to be a lot cheaper than Mahomes (Tribusky doesn't matter because there's no way they're using that, short of massive improvement.).

By the time Watson's fifth-year option is finished David Johnson's contract will have expired. Clowney and Hopkins will also no longer be on the team (probably) meaning more money to pay Watson and whatever other players he thinks they absolutely need. With that second-round pick they acquired from the Cards they can probably pick up a WR that is at least decent, who will be on a rookie contract when Watson gets a new deal.

He's going to avoid the Rams situation. I agree the details of how he's going about it could be better, but it potentially be a lot worse, like the Rams.

19. Sommerswerd

Nah... I suspect Andrew Luck tbh

20. Sommerswerd

"Win now" is inherently bad approach to team-building for exactly this reason.

On an off-topic but related note... my fav NBA team the Los Angeles Lakers are staring down the barrel of the win-now/self-inflicted shotgun-blast-to-the-face because of coronavirus. They were in first place by a mile, clearly poised to make a deep playoff run, and quite possibly win their elusive 17th title... but this roster that they've Mac-Guivere'd together was a one shot deal, which likely falls apart after the current, now apparently cancelled season. So next season its back in the toilet, with nothing to show for it... for another decade :shake: :cry:

And that's assuming COVID-19 doesn't mutate into something worse and kill us all before everything is said and done. :yuck:

caketastydelish likes this.