1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 24, 2019.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I still think they should be getting more production at the position than they did last year.

In other news, I actually agree with the 3 picks so far. Hopefully the Giants take whoever is the best offensive lineman is available. Daniel Jones has a fumble problem as it is, and they’ll have to play the loaded Redskins dline at least twice a year. Eagles dline is no joke either.

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Everyone has drafted the way I thought they should so far. Now I want the Chargers picking Isiah Simmons. Everyone already know how good the Chiefs offense is, but the Broncos offense is very underrated and the Raiders offense will be even more loaded if they draft at least one legit WR this draft. Actually, the Broncos will also probably. In a division where all three of your rivals have at least above average offenses, having a top notch defense should be a priority.

edit: picking Simmons would also give them easily the most versatile defense in the league, in conjunction with what they already have.

3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

In that case, surely the Panthers will take the best Keuchly replacement they could possibly ask for. I think the Bolts made a massive mistake, though.

4. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Wow. How far will he fall? Genuinely shocked at this point. I hope our division rival, the Cards, aren’t smart enough to do the right thing and select him. Although there’s a reasonable chance they’re taking an offensive lineman. Murray took a lot of sacks. But if at that point the Jags don’t take him I don’t know what to believe anymore.

5. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Damn it.

6. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

With Cleveland’s pick (in conjunction with what they already accomplished this offseason) I have Nick Chubb as the one running back I’d want to draft for fantasy purposes.

7. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Pete Carroll’s twitter draft clues heavily imply we’re trading out of the first round. That will make me furious if a good player is available. I want YGM and Espensa in particular.

8. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

And with that, Cowboys offense (on paper) will be unbelievable.

9. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I am furious. I’ve never even heard of this ******* before, and he doesn’t remotely play a position of need, and there’s absolutely no way he was the best player available. When YGM and Espensa were still on the board, at that.

10. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Well at least the Chiefs did what I wanted. With this, no one is stopping the Chiefs offense. And with him being selected in the first round, they will have the fifth year option. This offense isn’t going to get any worse any time soon.

11. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

So what do the Packers know about Rodgers that we don't?

12. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Nothing necessarily. They just had a good experience making this kind of decision before, so they probably thought why not do it again.

The prospect they got meets the criteria of “ceiling is out the roof but needs time to develop” which was identical to that of Patrick Mahomes. Obviously time will tell if they hit the jackpot but it’s easy to give them the benefit of the doubt when basically they made the same decision before and it couldn’t have worked out better.

13. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

I'll concede that I pretty much only follow Miami and New England personnel moves, and the more high-profile ones on the Bills and Jets. That said...

I (like most of South Florida) am happy Miami went with Tua instead of Justin Hebert, the durability risk has too much upside in his game history compared to "just another college quarterback with good raw material". Miami is due to finally have some luck (if not Luck) with bringing in a QB post-Marino.

14. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Hmm, for the second year in a row, the Bears didn't screw up in the first round. ;)

caketastydelish likes this.
  15. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

The Rams can say the same.

16. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

17. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

They know what we know: he's 36. The Patriots also spent early round picks on QBs during the/Brady era. Not 1st rounders, mind you, but Jimmy G was a 2nd rounderand Ryan Mallet and Jacoby Brisett were 3rd rounders. The Saints also spent an early-mid 3rd on Garrett Grayson in 2015.

18. rah

rah Deity Supporter

The worse thing is that most of Chicago figures the Packer's new pick will eventually be better than who the Bears traded up for to get.

19. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

The odds of that are pretty good. I already made the (accurate) Patrick Mahomes comparison. The new Packers head coach is extremely good at developing quarterbacks (it’s his speciality) and Aaron Rodgers of all people is who he gets to sit behind. I can’t think a better situation than that for a player with a sky high ceiling but needs polish/develop his fundamentals. Even if they plan on starting Rodgers for the rest of his contract, if it only takes one year for this guy to reach his potential, then the Packers season won’t be over each year if Rodgers goes down. There’s not a chance on earth the Eagles would have won a Super Bowl without a competent backup QB. And the potential of this guy is wayyyyyy higher than Foles ever was.

Tribusky has been garbage for Chicago so the odds that he ends up better than that is not terribly low, especially when he’s been put in an absolutely wonderful position to succeed.

the only question: if they plan to keep Rodgers for the rest of his current contract and not start their new guy until then, by that point his rookie contract will be almost over. Competent starting QBs on rookie contracts are widely viewed as the best deal in the NFL. How much would be able to demand, supposing he doesn’t the field very often for most of his rookie contract ?

20. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

I don't get that Jalen Hurts pick at ALL. It's really hard to judge Wentz when he was throwing to 15th-string receivers last year and using a 2nd rounder there seems like a huge waste of resources, especially since Wentz was finally able to start all 16 games (Yeah he got knocked out in the playoff game but so would any other QB that got hit like that)