1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 24, 2019.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

List examples. I haven’t really noticed them having an off season this good ever since I’ve been watching football.

2. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

2017 for sure they were pretty unanimously the team to beat in the NFC. A great offseason blostering their defense when they had a rookie of the year winner QB and all-pro running back from the seaon before. Of course they fell on their face and a division rival went 13-3 and won a SB. The Cowboys for 20 years have been the king of being on paper great and never translating it to success. I doubt McCarthy is the guy to take them over that hump either.

3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Fair enough.

4. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Well the Cowboys actually won the Super Bowl in ‘95 so that’s the farthest back we can go.

5. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Dont forget that from ~1998 - 2009 Dan Snyder routinely "won" the offseason to the point it became a joke. And in the last decade,
    the Jags have been proclaimed offseason winners several times. Up until ~6-7 years ago the Cowboys were more likely to win the "head scratcher"
    award for their offseason than "winner".

On paper, they do look to have had a great offseason. But as you and others have stated/implied, history has shown that being proclaimed the offseason winner has been a lot like the Titanic being proclaimed "unsinkable".

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  6. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

I'm slightly exaggerating that Dallas is always the offseason winner (Washington is likely a better choice for that) but they do pretty much always land somehow in the like top 12 in power rankings every start of a season. Doesn't help as Tim just said that Dallas fans are just everywhere so you can't escape.

7. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I'm not talking about the long run, but just for this offseason, I think NFC East, in general, had a stronger one than any other division in the NFL.

The Eagles fixed their cornerback problem and wide receiver problem, thus making them a complete team again.

The Redskins added so much talent that I don't even feel the need to defend. That will be one stacked defensive line. And I think Ron Rivera is a definite upgrade at head coach from what they had before.

Daniel Jones will have a much better offensive line protecting up, and they upgraded their defense too.

The Cowboys draft was unbelievably good.

It helps the "division that improved the most" when two out of the four teams had top 4 draft picks. The Cowboys didn't but they made the most out of them, and the Eagles addressed the few weaknesses they had, arguably bringing them back to their Super Bowl year levels. Only one of those teams can win the division. I think the worst team in the division this year will be the Giants, and the Giants will be not awful, as in better than last year. The Giants are the only ones that I think could feasibly finish sub .500

8. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Obviously they trust in Dawyne Haskins or they'd have drafted Tua. That said, if they think they have their franchise QB (they are probably right) then as of right now they probably have the best front 7 in the league, as far as their defense goes. Their defense appears to be comparable to what the 49ers had last year. On offense, probably not, but might not be THAT much worse. Obviously, they're counting on Haskins to step it up in year 2. If he does, watch out.

9. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Reminds me of that Sam Bradford joke.

Sam Bradford’s wife came home from college one day really excited. She says “Sam, today we learned about the ocean! It’s really, really deep!”. Sam replies,"Whoa, cool, honey! How deep are we talking, like 15 yards?”

10. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

And for the same reason, Fox Sport's Bundesliga ratings records are about to get shattered next week.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  11. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Normally I'd agree but I'm curious if Bengals fans are hyped for their new QB.

edit: especially considering from my understanding he's homegrown.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  12. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I will admit the Cards were much more fun to watch last year than the year before and I don’t even feel the need to defend what happened to the team with the second pick.

Im not saying the same thing will happen twice in a row, but you never know.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  13. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

A team that went to the Super Bowl.

14. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I doubt it. OTOH, they meet the criteria of “after all these years of building up we finally have an absolutely dominant front 7, and we think we have our guy (supposing he stays healthy) at QB.”

Again, I don’t actually think they’ll follow those footsteps, but on paper the similarities are undeniable.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  15. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I’d let him play a single season before determining that.

16. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Touché. OTOH I don’t think Kirk Cousins is “legendary good” either. If you give him a strong supporting cast (which he’s had in Minnesota) he will play the system properly to put up good numbers but he’s not good enough to elevate bad talent surrounding him IMO.

They (Washington) have at least one wide receiver who is incredibly good, are pretty deep at running back, and the offensive line is not awful. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-2019-regular-season

I’m not saying that’s a particularly good supporting cast, perhaps even less than league average, but it wouldn’t take a miracle to be decent with that to work with.

Ron Rivera has lead a Super Bowl team before with an incredibly highly effective offense so I’m not particularly worried about that.

The organization is bad, that much is undeniable.

17. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

So I thought the Seahawks would be a hot team this season, but I am beginning to question that with the endorsement of Colin Cowherd.

18. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Someone on r/Seahawks has started a rumor that Myles Garrett is going to the ‘Hawks in exchange for a second, sixth, and seventh rounder, and everyone there has already decided it must be true. Makes me embarrassed for our fan base.

19. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

20. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

After digging more research, the only reason why (some) people are believing him is because this Reddit poster (guy who started the rumor), who goes by the name of "EveryoneLovesNudez" correctly stated that Britt was going to be cut before any official source did (or any respected media did), and he claimed to have insider information. As a result of this, tons of people now believe any crap he says and as this link shows, he's made it to an actual radio station to be interviewed in Seattle where people are taking him seriously.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Seahawks/comments/ghurt9/i_will_be_on_in_9_minutes_to_reveal_the_name/

radio interview: https://www.iheart.com/live/sports-radio-kjr-2565/?autoplay=true

Frankly, I think this is a troll who just got lucky predicting Britt being cut, and now he's playing on everyone's heartstrings. Obviously, as a 'Hawks fan, I want this to be true, but one random Reddit user who was right about something in the past doesn't cut it for me.

edit: summary of key points in radio interview

• His source is a player on offense and has known him for a couple of years

• Said player is friends with one of our players since high school and have been texting ever since and has had their agent talking

• Revealed it's Myles Garrett and apparently the Browns organization and Garrett have a fractured relationship which started the ball rolling
    https://twitter.com/vountee/status/1259936921045864448

Last edited: May 11, 2020