1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 24, 2019.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Considering the Packers first-round pick, if they want to dump Aaron Rodgers somewhere else (after Brees has retired), I'd reckon that would be a good landing spot. Can't really think of anyone who would become free agents in the next few years that could realistically go to New Orleans. Am I forgetting someone? Yes, there will QBs with expiring contracts, but I can't think of anywhere where the team that already has them won't do what they can to keep them. I mean, there will obviously always be free agent QBs, but I'm talking about long term starter material. There's the draft. But short of Drew Brees sucking to Peyton Mannings last year level of bad, I don't see the Saints getting particularly good draft picks. I can easily see them tanking for one year, probably the year after Brees retires.

edit: as a side note, I think this is the Patriots year to do the same.

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Are you saying the Patriots have no chance of finding a legitimate long term solution even if they tank?

3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I think of poorly of Patriots fans too, but do you think they are THAT spoiled?

4. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

It wasn't just that they crashed while he was still on the team. They had 2 consecutive 8-8 seasons with him where they missed the playoffs, then he was hurt with that severe neck injury that was questionable whether he could ever recover from, and he spent the whole season on the sidelines with a headset on watching them "suck for Luck". So the team was already starting to suck bad, fans were aware that he was finished, they had three whole season to acclimate themselves to it, and they were fully aware that a plan was in place to replace him with the next big thing. So that gave the fans plenty of room to be onboard with the loss of Manning.

There is no such situation with Brady. Brady's departure is just looking like a flaming train derailment careening off a cliff. I think they should have just paid him until he did what Manning did... lead the team to a playoff-less season... or retired.

But I think that the ownership can safely ignore whatever cows the fanbase has. First of all, when corona-crisis ends people are going to be so desperate to return to the stadium they wont care about the on-field product. They'l be too drunk and too busy reveling in just being able to go see sports again to be depressed about poor performance by their home teams. The next thing is that having been on the receiving end of a 20 year dynasty is going to sustain the bandwagon for decades to come. The Celtics fanbase is a perfect example of this. They are still basking in the glory of the Bill Russell championship years and balk at being told how pathetic that is. Patriot fandom is here to stay, regardless of what happens for the next few years.

caketastydelish likes this.
  5. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah it took a few years for the energy in Chicago to die down after the Jordan fueled dynasty. Even after basically kicking him out of town, the fans filled the stadium for every home game for many years, despite not even being mediocre.

6. Sommerswerd

Exactly. Plus given that the dynasty has been so ridiculously long, the Pats have tons of self proclaimed "fans for life" who have been fans for over a decade but literally never had to suffer through a dry spell.

Those folks are going to get shamed hard if they try to abandon ship once the team isn't doing well. Both by the loyal fans, as well as by non- fans relentlessly reminding them what spinless traitorous bandwagoneers they are. "Oh so you're a Chiefs fan now?? I thought you were a lifelong Pats fan?LMAO GTFOH..." and so on.

7. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I don’t personally know any self proclaimed Patriots fans, but if I did and they abandoned ship once they suck, I would absolutely ridicule them for it.

8. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

In that case, they won’t be pissed if the Patriots suck because they’ll just hop on somewhere else.

9. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Well that is only the problem of Robert Kraft. Not an individual i am particularly concerned with or feel sorry for.

Timsup2nothin likes this.
  10. Sommerswerd

I was in the middle of typing pretty much that when I was making my last post, but it was getting too ramble-ey so I deleted it. Part of what I was going to say was that when I tell people I am a 49ers fan it is very common for me to hear people say in response "Oh I used to be a Niners fan!" and the people who I hear say that are pretty much exclusively now claiming to be "Pats fans". It makes sense though, since the 49ers were the dynasty team of the 80's. We all jumped on the 49ers train back then when they were the hot team, and the true bandwagoneers jumped onto the next bandwagon when things went south. Its funny, sometimes when I meet guys claiming Pats fandom who say they "used to be 49ers fans", I kind of give them the double-take/raised-eyebrow, and they look down sheepishly/embarrassed and either try to defend themselves by claiming that they've been Pats fans "since Bledsoe" or "for years" or something along those lines. Some of them just smile or shrug their shoulders and fess up to being shameless bandwagoneers.

Of course, since I live in New England, I meet tons of Pats fans, so I constantly run into "Pats fans" who "used to be" Niners fans. I have met a small handful of folks who actually claim to have been Pats fans all the way back to the Steve Grogan years. My baby sister is actually one of the few legit lifelong Pats fans I know who started claiming Patriot fandom back in the early nineties, specifically coinciding with the release of Tecmo Superbowl, in which they were one of the absolute worst teams, arguably along with the Colts. One of my favourite challenges in the game was to try and win the Superbowl with the Patriots.

11. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

As a result of recent political events, is there any genuine chance Colin Kaepernick could make a comeback in this league?

He might be an upgrade from anything the Patriots, for example, have on the roster. Of course, then again, no one wants Cam Newton either...

12. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

The only argument for Kaepernick (over Cam) is the lack of injuries. I agree that it’s not enough, but some could think otherwise.

13. rah

rah Deity Supporter

My daughter went to grad school in Boston so she's still a big fan but not a die hard so I'm sure she'll still root for them regardless.
    As long as she still roots for the bears, I'm ok with it.

14. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

So this is applicable both in the NFL thread in sports forum and here, so I will post it both places:

Some think the Minnesota Vikings should sign Colin Kapernick to help calm things down.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...s-former-nfl-exec/vi-BB14SaEv?ocid=spartandhp

How realistic it would be idk. Of course, that's also assuming Kaepernick would agree to it, which is far from a guarantee.

If Kaepernick signs with any team (and especially them) he will instantly be the defacto spokesperson for that team, and everyone knows it.

15. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Maybe the Patriots could sign him. With the theme and team name, perhaps that would be very appropriate. (dead serious)

16. Sommerswerd

Commissioner Roger Goodell apparently just released a statement on behalf the NFL apologizing for not being supportive of the kneeling protests. They now see that they were wrong and the protesters were right.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  17. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

It's a for-profit league and claiming to care about black lives is the profitable thing to do right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's finally saying the right thing, but this isn't a change of heart.

18. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, it does seem to sound like a cave in to the pressure.
    He didn't mention Kap specifically, so I wonder if that was because of the monetary agreement the league reached with him a few years back.

19. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

How about the Saints? :mischief:

20. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Gah, sorry, it was a joke, pointed at Brees' shooting his mouth off a few days ago about supporting kneeling or not and seemingly half the NFL coming down on him for it.