1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Not an unreasonable point. It definitely is a division where four strong DBs really isn't enough though. Like I said, at least four games a year they'll be playing a nickle base; key divisional games at that. Plus, with the Chiefs winning the super bowl that kind of offense is gonna be the flavor of the month, at least for a while.

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish triggering far-left sjw snowflakes

You’re overthinking this. The team is already stacked with talent ant DB and linebackers, adding more to it is a luxury pick, especially we are talking about spending a first rounder on one, when Carroll has done a great out making legit starting DBs drafted well after the first round before. That is one thing he has consistently done even after the original LOB era.

Meanwhie, our pass rush is amongst the worst in the entire league, and that was even while we had Clowney which might not come back. Only the Dolphins had less sacks than us IIRC.

Edit: also, as of right now, the Rams are a joke. At least on paper. They weren’t that great last year, they lost a lot of talent this offseason on both sides of the ball, and they don’t have a first round pick for the next two years.

I agree that the Cardinals are much more legit threat to actually beat us in games.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  3. caketastydelish

I hate reading crap like this. Bill O'Brian might be dumb enough to agree to a trade like that, but no one else. And certainly not John Elway. Blind, pure homerism/wishful thinking, trying to get people's hopes up for nothing.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I could see Denver trading Miller, but a second and a fourth aren't gonna do it. Especially not from Seattle. Too many teams that would put up a much better second round pick if it came to that.

caketastydelish likes this.
  5. caketastydelish

If this is coming from Seattle, I’d imagine it would cost at a bare minimum one of our first round picks. I wouldn’t even be opposed necessarily, but this is (from a Seahawks fans perspective) feel-good baloney.

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Seems like. The whole "then we rework his contract" is pretty far fetched too. He has one year of big money, and he's probably more than willing to test the waters in free agency. He's not gonna sign to a big pay cut this year to get a couple years of mediocre money tacked on the end.

7. caketastydelish

I’m tired of reading articles implying there is any “controversy” at the QB position in Vegas. Carr is miles better than Mariota.

Carr is incredibly accurate, and gets rid of the ball very quickly. Frankly I think he’s underrated and the only reason why I keep seeing these stupid mock drafts having the Raiders spending a first rounder on a QB is because Carr himself was drafted in the second round, so they aren’t impressed with his “pedigree”. He’s comfortably better than plenty of QBs drafted in the first round. If Chicago had Carr for example, I doubt they’d consider their QB to be problematic. Not a Raiders fan or anything but I can’t wrap my head around why so many people think he’s a bad starting QB who needs to be replaced.

edit: for reference PFF had Carr rated significantly higher as a QB than Jared Goff (and he’s also playing on a much cheaper contract, at that) and no one is saying the Rams need to move on from Goff.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

The only solution to being tired of reading them is to stop reading them. Idiots will certainly keep writing them.

9. caketastydelish

I just feel sorry for the poor guy for being what is in my opinion by far the most under appreciated QB in the league. I hope ordinary people/fans don’t agree with the idiots writing these articles. If I were Carr in that situation it would piss me the fudge off.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I'm sure he looks at his older brother as an example of how much worse it could be and just shrugs it off.

11. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Amen to that.

It's amazing when you have an example of something like that in front of your own eyes that you understand "It could be worse" much more clearly.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  12. caketastydelish

I wasn’t watching football when his older brother played, so I wouldn’t know.

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

He was the first player ever drafted by the Texans. In the previous expansion (Jags and Panthers) the expansion draft was so favorable that both teams were competitive right from the gate and made the playoffs in their second season. The Texans and Browns paid the price and their expansion drafts were basically "you can take any player from any team so long as they suck." But they did get first and second picks in the regular draft and Houston took Carr number one overall as their face of the franchise quarterback. They couldn't come up with a line and he led the league in getting sacked, took a probably crippling beating for like eight years, was constantly vilified as a "wasted pick," and basically was the human sacrifice for an organization that got kneecapped by the league and took a decade to get themselves in some semblance of order.

14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Just read an interesting theory that Tom Brady isn't concerned about winning in Tampa Bay, he's there because if Jameis Winston can sling a 5000 yard season maybe an old man like Brady can too, and that would be good for shilling his TB12 longevity merchandise.

15. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

It's a fair point, but... how many millions does he have in the bank already? Not counting Gisele, who is not exactly struggling for money either?

Personally (and unfortunately getting immersed in Brady/Pats news as a local over the years), I think Brady just wants to keep having fun playing football, and the Patriot Way isn't fun, and seems to get a lot less fun when the team isn't steamrolling the AFC.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Do you think someone who has been immersed in the cheatriot way for twenty years can start a business and say "doesn't really matter, I have enough money anyway?" I'll bet he would ruthlessly gut a distributor for a nickle.

17. caketastydelish

Brandon Cooks and a 2021 fourth rounder to the Texans in exchange doe the 57th pick of this draft.

I actually like this. The Texans have no one individual wide receiver who is “elite” like Hopkins but they have several who are solid, above average starter quality. Honestly, I think it’s almost better that way. The problem with putting all your eggs in one basket with one player is he gets hurt or can’t play because of off the field issues, your team is destroyed.

Considering all the additions the Texans have made at wide receiver this offseason (and we haven’t even reached the draft yet) I would they are at least as good as they were before the Hopkins trade. On paper, the Texans offense very solid and deep.

If David Johnson plays to his potential, they will be borderline unstoppable. Meanwhile the Rams are continuing to prove that they are absolutely collapsing.

edit: and as for the “but they’re eating a lot more cap space now” argument:

I am almost certain that BOB will pick up the fifth year option on Watson’s rookie contract. It will be way less than his market value, and especially since he was drafted after 10th overall (Mahomes option will cost a lot more but still be cheaper than market value).

With that being said, by the time Watson’s rookie is over (supposing they use the fifth year option, and I’m almost certain they will) by the time it’s over David Johnson’s contract will have expired. And the cap will have risen by then as well. If BOB is planning in the way I think he is, which is “keep your franchise QB healthy and on the team for as long as possible” then he’s actually not doing a terrible job. The Colts managed to mess that up with Andrew Luck, and the Redskins did with Kirk Cousins.

It’s also worth noting that unlike Goof for the LA Lambs Watson actually DESERVES to be paid top tier, elite QB money. Making it a number one priority to have Watson (an easily top 10 QB) healthy and available for as long possible for his career (while he’s playing at this level, anyway) seems like a smart plan.

There’s not a Deshaun Watson in every draft, and even when there is, you probably be lucky enough to select him.

In the short run, the Texans offense is stacked and deep, in the long run they’ll be able to keep their current team assembled without having to just release players and absorbing dead money.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  18. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

lol what the actual hell are the Texans doing

Ship probably the best WR in the game out of town for peanuts, trade a 2nd rounder in a WR-heavy draft to replace him with a guy with an awful contract who is now on his 4th team in 7 seasons (there's a reason for that) and, by the way, has five concussions. This completely torpedoes the idea of trading Hopkins to make cap space for Watson.

You can say "Cooks has no guaranteed money after this year"; great, that means they traded a 2nd-rounder in a WR-rich draft for a WR they cut after 1 year and don't have Hopkins or Cooks.

David Johnson is a 28 year old RB who couldn't get on the field when healthy in Arizona and hasn't rushed for 1,000 yards since the Obama administration.

We can agree to disagree about his coaching but he should be fired into the sun for his job as GM. Saints need to call him and offer Latavius Murray and a 5th rounder for Watson before Belichick steals him.

19. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

The cheatriot way was(/is) more about winning at all costs than saving money, they had the checkbook of "Mr Kraft" after all. And notably, Brady took regular pay cuts (against what he was worth to the team) for years in order to afford other players that did help them win more. He started a business, sure, really it's more of a branding exercise than anything else. How much actual "blood sweat and tears" has he put into it? Players start businesses or charities as little more than hobbies or pro forma "star athlete" obligations. Brady can (and I'm presuming, does) pay people to do everything except occasionally show up for board meetings and photo ops.

20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

A lot of players do, but I don't think Cheatin' Tom sees it as a hobby. The biggest source of tension in Cheatriot land was Billy Bellyache running Cheatin' Tom's personal trainer/business partner out of the facility as a charlatan instead of backing their play to replace the team's training staff with their acolytes. Have you ever seen him shilling his book? He's in it to win it as much as he ever was during one of his sideline rants. He has that messianic gleam in his eyes, and you better believe that if he achieves high political office we will all be bound by law to follow our TB12 longevity diets.