1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 24, 2019.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

He can always play Madden to train to get back in shape.

Edit: but that’s just for the specific football part. As for actual physical fitness, there’s always Wii Fit.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Ezekiel Elliot tests positive for cornovirus. I am seriously beginning to think there won’t be football this year.

3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Jamaal Adams requests trade, Jets give him permission to look around.

4. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Cam Newton signs one year contract with the Patriots. The amount it's for hasn't been released yet, but it is "an incentive-based contract". My opinion is Newton is a huge upgrade from what they currently at the position. Whether it will be enough to make their offense better than it was last year I'm unsure of, but at least their QB position went from awful to acceptable (as long as Newton can stay healthy).

edit: deal up to (including incentives for the max value) 7.4 million. Potential bargain if he stays healthy and plays like he has the majority of his career. Could keep the Patriots in playoff contention.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

They will have to completely reorganize their offense to adapt to Newton spraying the ball around. Not saying that they can't or won't, but it's a reach.

6. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

From a financial standpoint, it's low risk for the Pats (1 yr vet minimum + incentives). Obviously the real question is a) is he more or less fully recovered from injuries and b) If so, can he stay that way. IMHO the beating he's taken over the years argues against it but we'll see.

7. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Honestly, the Pats can't lose. Even IF he fulfills all incentives on his contract (probably meaning he had a pretty good season with them for this year), he only gets 7 million, tops. That's less than one-third of what Brady is definitely going to get. If he turned out to be garbage, they didn't pay significantly more than the vet minimum amount for him, and they traded away absolutely no draft capital (or players) whatsoever to get him.

If he turns out to be garbage (as well as all other QBs on the Patriots roster), then it was safe to assume that there was nothing they could have done anyway, thus the blame cannot be put on the front office. So the fans shouldn't be too angry, especially considering they sacrificed almost nothing for him to begin with. And in that case, they would almost certainly have very good draft picks the following year. And with the AFC East being far more stacked (outside of the Patriots themselves) than it's been in a long time, that could easily happen if they don't get good QB play. At worst, they get nothing out of him (or the other QBs on their roster) giving them great draft picks to reload the next year, possibly even scoring Trevor Lawrence.

At best, he balls out like he has the majority of his career, making mediocre wide receivers seem much better than they really are, and is also a legit dual-threat, and puts the Patriots right back in contention to win the AFC Championship game, in conjunction with having found their long term answer at QB for possibly the next 10 years or so, while giving up nothing for him and one year of him for a very inexpensive contract, compared to other non-rookie QBs who would put up that kind of production.

"But he's injured"

First, again, the risk here is virtually non-existent. So what?

Second, he hasn't actually played in a long time. And based on his workout videos, he seems like he has made the most out of his time off and is in incredibly good shape. And at the very least, he did pass his physical and will have even more time to recover. And he passed his physical back in March, not even now. He could be in even better shape now, and better shape than that by the time the season starts.

They would have to scheme differently for Newtons' skill set (if they play him at all) but I trust someone who has a legit argument as the GOAT head coach to figure that out.

They managed to absolutely humiliate a competent Texans defense several years ago with Brissett, and a healthy Cam Newton is definitely not worse than Brissett. But the point is Brissett's playstyle is also very different than Bradys, and they made it work with him. Meaning having to change their offensive scheme to match Newton's skillset probably won't be an issue, especially if they have several months to prepare for it rather than one week.

If he plays like he has for the majority of his career, the front office of teams like the Chargers are going to have some very serious questions to answer.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Making mediocre receivers look better? The only receiver he has ever been able to hit unless they were wide open has been the tight end. He has high throw hung out to dry put more receivers in the hospital than he has ever made look better than they are. Dude is a ball sprayer, always has been. The fullback body and halfback speed made such a dangerous run option that receivers could get open enough to be able to adjust to a catchable but not really on target ball...but NE has never had an offence built on those concepts.

9. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I thought his receivers in their super bowl year were very meh and he elevated them.

10. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Any reason why the Colts are paying Jacoby Brissett 27 million dollars for this season? Is someone who meets the criteria of "solid backup quarterback but far from a long term solution" good enough to justify that? I could understand if they signed the contract in the past and are stuck now, but they made the deal THIS year.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020 at 9:55 PM
  11. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

LMAO I read this and thought "Who the eff is the Colts starting quarterback right now?" :lol:

I had to look it up... Phillip Rivers... so yeah, signing Jacoby Brissett to a big contract, as a "backup" makes total sense. He'll be starting before the end of the season.

12. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

All Jacoby Brissett does is make it harder to get good draft picks. In other words, you're not going to the playoffs regardless of how good your roster is otherwise as long as he's your starter. There are also capable backups you could sign for far less than that. Cam Newton signed for one million. Andy Dolton signed for three million. Nick Foles is getting 8 million, which I think is an overpay, but still nowhere near what Brissett is getting.

Brissett is getting paid more than Drew Brees and Tom Brady. Do you think Brissett is better (or as good) as those two, even at this point in their respective careers?

13. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Drew Brees and Tom Brady are old. They're possibly riding on their laurels at this point. I'm interested to see how they perform going forward.

14. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Both of them were significantly better last year than Brissett. You can point to "Brissett didn't really have a good set of weapons to throw the ball to" which is true. But Brady didn't have that either, but he was still better than Brissett. And Brissett was protected by an elite offensive line. Brady wasn't. Brees had more talent than Brissett or Brady, but he put up significantly better numbers than Teddy Bridgewater did by every meaningful metric, other than the win/loss record which obviously has more to do with the rest of the team than him. It's possible that Brady and Brees will decline, but even they do, they could still be comfortably better than Brissett. That's how much disparity there is between them. As for Brissett, we already know what his ceiling is. This is like paying Osweiler the money the Texans paid him AFTER having him as your starter for one year, so you already know how bad he is. And Bridgewater himself had a significantly higher PFF grade, for example, than Brissett. Not near as high as Brees, but still. Andy Dolton was bad last year, but even his PFF was comfortably better than Brissett's, and he is getting paid like 3 million this season. Do you think Brissett is as good (let alone better) than Andy Dolton? And even if so (he's not) is it enough to justify paying Brissett over 20 million more?

edit: In other news, the Washington Redskins have just came out with an official statement saying they are seriously considering changing the team name, and Rodger Goodell responded by basically saying he supports the move.

edit 2: In my opinion, that's not the only racial issue the team has, in my opinion. Even if others seem far less concerned about it:

Is it just me, or is there a double standard that all black NFL quarterbacks are, automatically, by default expected to be dual-threat? That if Dwayne Haskins was white he wouldn't be under as much criticism for it?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020 at 12:53 AM
  15. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Patrick Mahomes gets a 10-year contract. Has that ever happened before in the history of this league? Honest question.

edit: Over 400 million dollars? I am speechless.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020 at 5:01 PM
  16. Serutan

I'm pretty sure they can dump Brissett after this season with little consequence. And by QB standards it isn't a massive contract. But you may be right, as I am not sure how much Rivers' problems last year were O-line and how much were age related decline.

17. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Even for just this season, he is not worth anywhere near that much. Can you name any other team that would even remotely try to match that?

18. Serutan

19. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I don't understand the contract. How the hell are they even able to keep their current team assembled while he's being paid that much?