2020 NFL offseason thread

I expect we'll hear about them negotiating all of next year but by the end of the season, sign him to an extension.

Saw headline that AB was apologizing to Pittsburg & Ben for his actions there. Now if I were of a cynical bent, I would say
he's getting ready to beg them to take him back.

Considering he's a rapist, jail is where he belongs.

Antonio Brown.

I wouldn't put any rookie QB behind that oline, especially one that already has a significant injury history. They should use their best draft capital (and maybe some free agency signings/caps space) to improve the oline and then sign Brady or Bridgewater or Fitzmagick or someone else in free agency. Oline is the only remarkable weakness the Chargers have as a team as far as I can tell, the offense has plenty of talent other than oline. Perhaps even Josh Rosen could succeed there with a decent oline. (I am being serious).

They should use their best draft capital (and maybe some free agency signings/caps space) to improve the oline and then sign Brady or Bridgewater or Fitzmagick or someone else in free agency. Oline is the only remarkable weakness the Chargers have as a team as far as I can tell

I read somewhere that the Chargers are projected to have around $48M in cap space, so yeah what you laid out definitely sounds doable. I'm mainly focused on them as I see the Chargers really being the only legitimate threat to leapfrogging the Dolphins in the draft and grabbing Tua: the Chargers could probably easily swap with the #3 or #4 team in the draft, and whichever team they swap with would have a high degree of confidence their desired pick is still gonna be on the board at #6.

Beefing up the offensive line and then signing a proven veteran in free agency sounds like a much safer bet IMO. Josh Rosen, which I listed, isn't "proven" but if you can get him for dirt cheap he's worth a shot. Or they could get one of the others.

Right now the Chargers have a bad offensive line. Is it worth trading up to acquire a QB with an already significant history of injuries and thus hindering your ability to build your oline? I wouldn't do this unless they not only think he's the next Mahomes or whatever, but they can also rest him for a year to learn the system and give them time to build their oline

I'm not sure I'd want to move up to get Tua - a player who is injury prone in college rarely morphs into an ironman in the NFL.

I tend to agree but Frank Gore wants to have a word with you.

Not necessarily. Swapping with the Chargers and putting themselves behind the Dolphins runs a strong risk that the Dolphins either pick other than a quarterback or trade down with someone who will, because that puts the Dolphins in the five slot with both top five caliber (or even remotely top five caliber) quarterbacks off the board. Not that it isn't still worth doing, since the Chargers would be expected to really pony up to make that kind of move, but assuming they get the player they want anyway is not a really good bet.

So I was talking with a coworker today and he came up with a different slant on the Chargers: the Chargers pull a "Tank with Tyrod" this season so they can grab the Clemson QB/ whoever next year's sweetheart QB is coming out of the college season. That way they don't have to expend draft capital this year to leapfrog the Dolphins, and can instead invest that same draft capital on fixing their O-line, which usually takes a season to gell anyways. The major flaw I see in this is that they are in desperate need of filling the stands/ getting their new fanbase off the ground now. Delaying that another year could seriously put a dent long-term in getting people interested in the LA Chargers.

D

Honestly this almost sounds like a publicity stunt so he can get a lucrative contract that he doesn’t deserve, because he wants them to believe what you are saying. I could always be wrong of course.

Fair enough, wasn't aware of this. In that case, it is silly this hasn't been taken care of a long time ago.

I am of a cynical bent, and I'm thinking his lawyers for the battery case he just picked up have told him "you are guilty and nothing changes that, so you need to start thinking about how to find a sympathetic judge at sentencing...and hint, right now there is no such thing." He's getting ready to beg not to go to jail.

Judging by his last apology (I didn't realize how good I had it with Ben), one could be persuaded that he hasn't quite figured out the
"laying the groundwork to avoid jail" part. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it would seem like his best shot at a
"get out of jail free" card would be to have a teary eyed announcement that he realizes he has anger issues and is seeking help.

His vision problems are pretty well documented going all the way back to college. Bruce Aryans brushed it off once with "well, he can't read the scoreboard but he sees the guys in front of him well enough." But I gotta think being able to see well would have to produce at least some improvement. Wouldn't it?

Since he's nearsighted, one would think that would show up in his INT rate getting disproportionately higher the longer the throw (no, I don't know if that's true). So yes, you'd think so. Of course if the primary problem is behind his eyes (and his off field history suggests this is in play) then the Lasik won't help as much as it could.

Allegedly, the Raiders plan to offer Brady a two year, 60 million dollar contract.

Personally, I think Carr is good enough to be a long term solution. And he has a similar play style to Brady regardless. If this is true, I don’t get it.

Indeed. If they sign Brady they'll have to replace him in the next couple of years, and I doubt Carr would be a Raider at that point.

Looks like Gruden's incompetence at GMing may be starting to show through.

Why does Brady have to sign with the Patriots ?

I don’t think AFC East will be a joke. The Bills are already legit. The Jets appeared to be legit after Sam Darnold came back. Even the Dolphins started showing significant improvements near the end of the season, and considering their draft capital and cap space they’re almost guaranteed to get even better. And they usually lose against the Dolphins at least once a season anyway. I don’t think the division will be a cakewalk for the Pats as it’s been in the past. It might even be the toughest division in the AFC (I am being serious).

Top Bottom