1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL Regular Season Thread Presented by Bizzaro World

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Serutan, Sep 10, 2020.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I haven't been watching the Bears this year, but they have managed to lose 3 games in a row. Maybe they're not for real after all. If they don't make the playoffs: is a regime change imminent?

2. Darsnan

Darsnan King

The Jets gave it their best shot last night, with Joe Flacco dialing back the clock and throwing some real dimes, but then they reverted to form the last 5 minutes of the game and literally handed the game to the Pats. And kinda glad the Jets did lose to the Pats, as that pushes the Belickeks further away from one of next year's top-tier college QBs, which is probably their biggest need.

As far as Cam goes, he bet on himself this season with the one year contract, and its looking like he lost that bet, as his stats are pretty blase' at best. Maybe a back-up gig somewhere next year?

D

3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

The Jets losing also helps them secure Trevor Lawerence so it's a double win from an anti-patriots point of view.

If Tua continues to play as he did against Arizona, then clearly, Tua, Herbert, and Burrow are legit. In that case, we haven't had a draft this good for quarterbacks in a long time. This list doesn't include first-round pick Jordan Love who has yet to play a single snap.

I like it when teams have competent quarterbacks, it makes them more fun and interesting to watch.

4. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Two games is an awful small sample for Tua. If he keeps up the progress then I'll get more on board with that.
    But at the moment I'm thinking that COY is currently between Tomlin and Flores.

5. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Is COY coach of the year? I had to google that. Tomlin has always had a winning team in like 14 years of being a head coach. That alone is incredibly remarkable. Has literally anyone else done that in the same timespan outside of Belichick? Honest question.

What Flores has done is impressive too. But I'm not comfortable giving COY to any coach that didn't take their team to the playoffs that year. Miami has a legitimate playoff chance but it's not obvious as of right now. With Tomlin, it's virtually guaranteed.

6. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

7. Darsnan

Darsnan King

I cracked one rib once: just trying to get out of bed was excruciating, and I'd do anything to not sneeze or cough. Can't imagine what its like with multiple broken ribs, and at Brees's age that's gonna take longer to heal, so I'm surprised he's not going to IR.

Definitely both Tomlin and Flores should be considered, as well as Gruden, as he's really maximizing that Raiders roster, especially in this year of COVID. And yeah it should end up being someone who takes his team to the playoffs.

D

8. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

It's not a certainty as of right now that both the Dolphins and Raiders are headed to the playoffs. The Raiders talent, on paper, is not THAT bad so he's hardly performing a miracle IMO.

It's not guaranteed that the Cards make the playoffs but if they do, Kingsbury should be considered. Considering the success he's brought to the team compared to what they've had in quite some time. Almost everyone (myself included) thought he would be a horrible head coach but he's already proved doubters wrong.

9. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Even if Winston is a noticeable downgrade from Brees, I'm not sure how much that will matter unless Brees still isn't healthy come playoff time. They only face one good team for the rest of the year (Chiefs). They could absorb one loss. The Bucs face betters teams for their remaining schedule AND the Saints own the tiebreaker.

If Kansas City is their only loss, that would make them 13-3. Obviously whoever wins NFC is not a threat for a playoff home-field advantage, and it is highly unlikely that anyone in NFC West doesn't lose at least one more game, meaning the Saints would do better.

The only threat for the first seed at that point would be Green Bay. They would be a threat. They currently have fewer losses than the Saints AND own the tiebreaker against them. Although, the Packers are playing better teams.

If Winston is a significant step down from Brees, and Brees hasn't recovered by that point, then the Saints are toast in the playoffs unless they play whoever "won" NFC East.

Edit: unrelated note. I just realized that even if the Browns don't make the playoffs this year, they are virtually guaranteed to finish at or above .500 this season. Which doesn't sound remarkable, but I checked and found out the last time they did that, it was 2007. Over 10 years ago. I can't imagine what their loyal fans are feeling.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  10. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

11. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Saints fans: "we're pretty anxious about starting Jaemis Winston"

Sean Payton: "don't worry we're starting taysom lmao"

one team is coming out of this game with a clown nose* on, I just have no idea which

*in addition to the ones the Falcons always have on

12. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

It is worth noting that Hill has a cap hit of about 16 million next year. If he appears to be an acceptable starting quarterback, with that salary, is a relative bargain for any QB not on a rookie contract. Anyone who thinks they're a QB away from being a contender could go "all in" and do whatever they can to acquire Hill. The Saints would get a valuable draft pick(s) in the process, and take his hefty contract off their hands, a double win. If he plays well enough to not make you lose against bad opponents then it won't even cost you anything for the purpose of this season, but the potential of how it would pay off in the future is worth noting. And I know he plays such a good role in your offense (if trading him doesn't sound nice) but the problem is you're about to be in salary cap hell and there's absolutely no way you can keep everyone regardless. Something like this would be the best-case scenario. Winston is on a one year contract, thus no potential for trade value.