1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 NFL Regular Season Thread Presented by Bizzaro World

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Serutan, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy CheeseBob

So earlier this year, the broncos were with no QBs in a game, last week brown's were with no WRs (losing to the Jets), now the Saints are with no RBs.

I think having no RBs are not as big of a problem as having no WR or QB, so it shouldn't be that big of a disaster for NO as those other games were.

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

If the Panthers had McCaffrey back, I'd say they have a chance with NO out of their running backs. As it stands, I think NO should still be the heavy favorites to win. If their backs are still out in the playoffs, though, they are in trouble.

3. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

And it's looking like the Fins will be left standing when the music stops and all the playoff slots are filled, unless the Jags beat the Colts. Ah well, it's been an unexpectedly good season...

4. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

10-6 is pretty good as far as teams that didn't make the playoffs go. Especially now, with a third wildcard team. At least it gives them better draft picks than they probably deserve. In conjunction with what they got from the Texans plus having the seventh most cap space, they could be contenders in short order.

Btw, my opinion of Tua is they should keep him and not draft another QB. He didn't have much help, was still learning the system, and has already demonstrated in college that he's more than capable of getting the job done with enough talent around him. I think they should just fix that situation for him, which they can easily arrange.

5. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I know it's still only the 2nd quarter, but man oh man Pittsburgh is imploding.

6. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Steelers still have time to come back. The falcons managed to choke from a similar lead with less time on the clock IIRC.

As for my Seahawks: time to clean house with the entire coaching staff (but not the players).

The talent on the roster is phenomenal, but we simply got outcoached with horrible, outdated schemes. Personally, I want Eric Bieniemy as our new head coach. Wilson's performance is not a significant step down from Mahomes, nor is the talent around him. A competent coaching staff gives him elite numbers, and a decent defensive coordinator makes a competent defense with the pieces we have there as well.

7. Serutan

There's a reason I said "I know it's only the 2nd quarter". ;)
    But just as it looked like Falcons 2.0 might happen, Tomlin chickens out on a 4th and 1, Ben throws another pick, and the Browns wind up getting 13 points to seal the deal.

PIT is in for an innerstin offseaon - cap issues, Ben is toast, several important FAs.

8. Serutan

Aaannd Doug Pederson has been drop kicked through the goalposts of life by the Igges.

9. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I think they might regret that. And someone else should hire him. IIRC, he has brought his team to the playoffs every year of his tenure except for this one, and of course the Super Bowl championship. Someone else should hire him.

Someone ought to hire Adam Gase as an OC, hopefully, my Seahawks will. Some people have made it clear they excel as a coordinator but can't handle the responsibilities of being a head coach. He's one of them.

10. IglooDude

Agreed. Third pick can get them much farther ahead by improving Tua's receiver corps with DeVonta Smith.

caketastydelish and Darsnan like this.
  11. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Robert Saleh hired today as the new head coach of the New York Jets. With this, the NFL has an openly Muslim head coach for the first time in league history. The people butthurt about players kneeling for the anthem to protest police brutality will cry even more over this. Especially when this Muslim head coach specifically is the coach of "The New York Jets" out of all possible teams.
    Also: as a Seahawks fan, this will be the second time in less than 365 days that something happens that benefits both of our times. First the Jamal Adams trade, now this. He was an excellent defensive coordinator for a divisional rival that will now be taking his capabilities and talent away from there. And the Jets will almost certainly get a far more competent head coach than they've had in a long time. For both of these reasons, I am thrilled to hear this news.

IglooDude likes this.
  12. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Some people think the Jags should give the number one overall pick to the Texans for Deshaun Watson. Normally I'd tend to agree, but not when they are a division rival.

The Texans with a QB as good as Lawerence is expected to be on a rookie contract will make them dangerous. If Watson leaves the division without them getting someone that good in return, that could be the knockout punch OTOH.

I just hate the idea of handing Trevor Lawerence on a rookie contract to a division rival.

13. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I'm sorry @Light Cleric and any other Saints fans but the Bucs deserved that. The officiating wasn't particularly bad, and they were simply outplayed. No offense that anemic is championship worthy.

14. IglooDude

As happy as I am about a Muslim getting hired as a head coach, as you say pissing off the people that really care about it, it still won't make me stop rooting against the jets no matter who they play, except sometimes the Patriots at which point I just hope both teams lose.

15. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I think the Jets have competent coaches for the first time in a long time, because I have a lot of faith in both their head coach and offensive coordinator from an on the field point of view, off the field issues and politics aside. The Bills are already good. The Dolphins are already good and have a truckload of draft picks and cap space.

Even if the Patriots improve from where they were this season, the days of the AFC East being a joke could be gone for the indefinite future. I look forward to someone besides the Patriots winning the division every year again and again.

16. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I'll sit with you

This was a great joke while it lasted... RIP

caketastydelish likes this.
  17. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Obviously, this is far from a guarantee, but looking short-term it appears we can replace "New England Patriots" with "Kansas City Chiefs" for the indefinite future.

18. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Isn't like half their team free agents within 2 years or so? That core won't last more then a season or so more. Andy is a great coach and Mahomes is really freaking good but let's see what he'll do without top 3 talent across the entire offense.

19. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Mahomes is obviously locked up for the long term. Tyreek Hill doesn't become a free agent until 2023, and Travis Kelce doesn't become a free agent until 2025.

Those are the big 3.

Then on the other side of the ball, the two main contributors are Tyran Mathieu and Chris Jones. Mathieu will be a free agent in 2022, although he will be turning 30 so might want to let him go after that regardless.

Chris Jones won't become a free agent until 2024.

They might have a lot of other players becoming free agents, but I think a lot of the others will be interchangeable as long as the core is around, as was the case in the Brady/Belichick era.

20. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Hill is younger then I thought he was. Still if they keep drafting at 28-32 I don't think they'll keep up they same pace in a salary capped era. The Eagles admittedly had a weaker QB (let's not pretend McNabb wasnt very good though) but did it before under Andy and after that magical 4 year run never had a bye again in the playoffs. KC has also been very very lucky this year in close games they'll need to play better overall if they wanna repeat a #1 seed season next year.