2020 - The Year of the Droid?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bugwar, Aug 27, 2013.

1. bugwar

bugwar Emperor

2. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Deity

I personally have no particular desire for a self driving car.

3. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

While it will take a hell of a long time for this technology to develop and become 100% reliable, it would certainly reduce or stop most driver-related accidents. Looking forward to it.

4. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Sounds like a "hack" just waiting to happen.

5. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

i'd be skeptical of success of the automative drive, because when they test it, they'll still have to test it with humans on the road :p

plop one of these babies in any major traffic pattern and try to have it merge to/from the exit lane, its algorithms are going to eventually calculate the "lay on the horn" and "merge in front of nicer cars because that guy will probably--reluctantly--let you in since he wants to avoid being hit more than the average joe" factors

and of course, when people just use the shoulder as pretty much an extra lane in stopped traffic.

granted this can be alleviated by of course toggling manual control like cruise control, but then that just gives humans back the wheel :p

actually best use for automative systems I would think are buses/shuttles, but of course, that will place people out of a job.

6. bugwar

bugwar Emperor

Just out of curiosity, how many technologies with moving parts have ever been "100% reliable"? :confused:

7. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

Looking forward to the implementation of 100% automated cars for everybody:

Significantly reduced (or near-zero accidents)
    Higher speeds
    No traffic
    You can actually do other things while commuting
    No more drunk or otherwise impaired driving

8. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Ok, not 100% reliable, but as close as possible. Obviously, some human interaction should be allowed in these vehicles, particularly in the event of a malfunction.

This!

9. Akkon888

Akkon888 한국 사람

It will be extremely tough to implement since these automated cars would not be able to communicate well with human-driven cars.

What if some person wants to drive a car, or what if the person can't afford an automated car? They can't drive at the high speeds automated cars are accustomed to, and this disparity would be hard to handle.

10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yup, unfortunately it's going to be a loooong time before we see the bulk of those perks because people are either not going to be able to afford the new driverless cars, don't want the driverless cars and opt for drivable models and also because they'll never be able to pass a law mandating them because MAH FREEDOMS!

11. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I would assume they would make them like the cars in "I, Robot" where the driver can switch between automated and manual control.

EDIT: Hopefully, minus the creepy AI that wants to lord over us for "our protection".

12. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Damned right MAH FREEDOMS! What the hell is the point of driving if you cannot, you know, drive? I hate being a passenger in cars. If I am in a car, I want to be driving it.

13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yeah probably, but so long as a large minority still choose to drive themselves, it's going to be difficult to get anywhere close to the max benefit out of the system. The drivers are going to create bottlenecks and the AI's won't be able to necessarily just avoid them because let's face it, we're all derps. Put us behind the wheel and we're deadly derps.

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

From #fiftychat:
    they're going to have to pass new laws to protect kids from seeing 15000 guys jerking it on their morning commute

15. schlaufuchs

Because traffic slowdowns will be reduced and because speed limits (particularly on freeways) will be able to be raised significantly.

Because being able to cut out drunk driving completely would be perhaps the greatest achievement in automotive safety since the introduction of the seatbelt

Because people can be more productive doing better things during the commute to work than driving?

16. bhsup

bhsup Deity

What is the point of driving if you don't get to drive? That's stupid. You guys want it for your big inner city congestion problems, be my guest, but keep this crap off the rural highways.

17. schlaufuchs

The point of driving is to get from point a to point b in the fastest, cheapest, safest and most efficient way possible. Driving currently achieves the best balance between these 4 points of all available transportation methods, so therefore it is the best option. Implementing full automation in cars would literally improve every one of these points. Speed limits improve so you get there faster, you're basically permanently on cruise control so mileage improves, no more accidents/impaired driving so it's safer, and it still gets you directly to your destination (as opposed to mass transit or planes) so it's still efficient.

18. bhsup

bhsup Deity

And Owen loses 100 points of "American Male" cred.

19. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Deity

Its simply not practical to expect that fully automated roadways will happen. Most people cant afford to just go buy a new car, or in the case of many families multiple cars. So legally mandating them at any point in the near future is fiscally impractical.

I also am a little confused by this idea that speed limits can be pumped up greatly. Just because a robot has quicker reaction speeds doesnt mean the laws of physics break down and that its safe to operate at 100 mph in a world with animals and people to dodge.

20. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

pick up las chicas