2020 - The Year of the Droid?

Robot masters? Where's Rockman?
Can we compromise:

Automated-only on congested freeways and big city center (no one really enjoys being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic burning gas that much), but freedom to choose everywhere else?

Mmmm. Free-diving zones.

Owen Glyndwr,

As stated before, while there are occasions where they do, there are many times (as mentioned in earlier posts) when they don't.

You're talking over his head.

I'm sorry? That doesn't really make any sense.

It does to some of us though.

(QED).

Because people can be more productive doing better things during the commute to work than driving?

Clearly the goal of this operation.

From #fiftychat:
they're going to have to pass new laws to protect kids from seeing 15000 guys jerking it on their morning commute

I'm thinking of replacing or covering the windows, and installing cameras. No one has to look inside if they don't want to. Except law enforcement, or secret agencies..

Significantly reduced (or near-zero accidents)
Higher speeds
No traffic
You can actually do other things while commuting
No more drunk or otherwise impaired driving
Everyone will stay inside the designated lines. If only coloring books for kids were that easy.

Soon enough.

As soon as more advanced AI (and hell, just AI being able of telling info) will be possible to be integrated into cars, somebody will remember KIT and Mr. Hasselhof!

Too bad he'll be dead by then.

You can have my Mustang's steering wheel when you pry it from my cold dead hands. :twitch:

I'm mostly with VRWC on this (big surprise eh), but there are times when I do prefer efficiency and "just get me there" to the pleasure of piloting a car. I take the stick-shift ragtop Mustang for the fun-drive (usually - the weather needs to be stang-worthy and I'm trying to keep the mileage down anyway), and the A/T AWD SUV for the just-get-me-there.

Its simply not practical to expect that fully automated roadways will happen. Most people cant afford to just go buy a new car, or in the case of many families multiple cars. So legally mandating them at any point in the near future is fiscally impractical.

I also am a little confused by this idea that speed limits can be pumped up greatly. Just because a robot has quicker reaction speeds doesnt mean the laws of physics break down and that its safe to operate at 100 mph in a world with animals and people to dodge.

It is improvements in the design of the car itself that allows you to drive at faster speeds. For example: in my 2006 Nissan I feel like I'm going too fast and will lose control at anything above 70 mph; while driving my parents' 2012 GMC Terrain I feel like I'm moving at a snail's pace and in complete control of the vehicle while going 80+ mph. I attribute this to improvements in the design of cars.

So if we assume that vehicle designs will only continue to improve, and that AI can eventually surpass a human in driving ability then we can assume the speed at which a car can safely operate will increase.

While it will take a hell of a long time for this technology to develop and become 100% reliable, it would certainly reduce or stop most driver-related accidents. Looking forward to it.

If all the cars on a road or highway are autonomous, it should also help reduce traffic jams bigtime, assuming that the path-finding algorithms in use are much much better than those employed in your average video game.

If all the cars on a road or highway are autonomous, it should also help reduce traffic jams bigtime, assuming that the path-finding algorithms in use are much much better than those employed in your average video game.

Haha, I just conjured the image of a car getting stuck on a curb and just continuing to floor it.

Haha, I just conjured the image of a car getting stuck on a curb and just continuing to floor it.
I, for one, was thinking about GTA NPC cars swerving and accelerating around an accident in front of them, only to run into...more accident. Or buildings. Or pedestrians.

I've often promised myself that my next car would be electric. It would be cool if car automation did some type of Moore's law thing.

No one mentioned http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car yet?

Exisiting cars can be retrofitted so if there's enough critical mass, there shouldn't be a problem to require everyone to follow the new standard. (Think back to how hdtv worked)

People will get over it when it happens. Just like people got over horseback riding everywhere.

Huh.

I work at the Nissan plant here in Tennessee and hope we get to build some of these.

Huh.

I work at the Nissan plant here in Tennessee and hope we get to build some of these.

I don't work at the Tennessee Nissan plant and hope that I can afford one of those. ;)

Considering how much of a premium is attached to the price of just buying a hybrid, self-driving cars are likely to be out of my reach for many years after they are for sale.:(

Top Bottom