1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part One)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

The article is not suggesting that stop and frisk is equivalent to slavery nor that killing one's children would be an appropriate response to stop and frisk.

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

It's actually from a much longer running campaign...the one pushing the idea that any black person who manages some degree of success isn't "really black" so cannot be used as an example against the "all black people are really just animals and should be treated as such" stance favored by racists. I'm sure that as an apparently successful African American Sommerswerd gets plenty of that thrown at him and it is understandable why he doesn't want to hear it from you.

hobbsyoyo and Sommerswerd like this.
  3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Only it isn't - I am not even american, and not part of the problem. Ancestry-wise afaik the vast majority of "white" americans are german or british, with southern or other europeans only immigrating in the early 20th century (cause they weren't allowed prior to that, to keep your country pure :) )

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

With Luis the question "could he be out of touch" is usually used when searching to excuse him.

One might suggest that if you want to be "not part of the problem" you could try avoiding the appearance of taking sides. I know nothing interesting ever happens in Greece so it is probably hard to find topics that you can participate in with any genuine self interest, but if you look beyond politics surely you can find something.

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  5. Kyriakos

Ok, a slight push on the shoulder is something I can refrain from reacting to - calculus does that :smug:

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Yeah, I have never been a fan of slight pushes on the shoulder. If I'm inviting someone to fight I usually do it with an elbow to the back of the head.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

So because a comedian said something, that's your proof that its not offensive? That's literally the stupidest thing I've heard said today. :shake: Comedians live to offend... its practically in the job description.

Also... I'm not surprised that I have to explain this to you... because being clueless about this kind of thing kind of seems to be your jam at this point... but the fact that a black person said something does not remotely mean that it isn't racist or offensive towards black people. One of the most textbook, cliche, tactics that racists always use, is to go find some example of a black person agreeing with their racist ideas, statements, positions etc., and say "See! I found a BLACK GUY who agrees with me so what I said/think can't possibly be racist! Herp derp":crazyeye:

Also... I find it absolutely hilarious... and by hilarious I mean an absolute steaming pile of fresh horesqueeze that you conveniently can't even name this "comedian" who you claim said this BS that you're apparently hanging your racist hat on. You who constantly spam the thread with videos on literally every topic you bring up... and spam the thread with non-sequitur videos about every random topic that pops in your head and you want to shoehorn into the discussion, and spam the thread with videos seemingly just for the hell of it... NOW SUDDENLY you conveniently cant find a video to support your dogsqueeze argument? :rolleyes: gimme a break you're full of it and I'm calling BS.
    But it was used offensively, even assuming that statement you claim happened by the person you conveniently can't remember the name of... the use that you're describing is offensive. Just because a black person said it doesn't mean it isn't still offensive. But more importantly, forget about your nebulous unidentified "comedian"... your use was offensive... and your error is you keep doubling down trying to defend it even after its been explained to you multiple times.
    And this is the icing on the cake... you're so desperate to cling to this ridiculous nonsensical, argument, that you're linking arms with a Hillary supporter to do it? Because as we all know... You totes agree with Hillary supporters and everything they say, amirite? :mischief: What a crock:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

9. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Moderator Action: I will take a moment to point out that, here at CFC, being deliberately offensive is against the site rules, so whilst one may not be in the US at home, they are definitely at CFC when posting here.

10. Arwon

Arwon

A good lesson you can learn from preferential/runoff voting systems is that no group of supporters is 100% unified in their second preference being the same just because of broad ideological similarity.

The assumption that every single Biden, etc, "moderate" voter will go "anyone but Sanders" in a head to head is not necessarily accurate. Even ideologically similar parties or individuals often only get 75% of second preference flows from other supporters.

To that end, here's Sanders doing generally pretty good in H2H polling, suggesting that a chunk, even if probably a minority share, of every other candidate's supporters prefer Sanders to some of the others.

IMG_20200215_113118.jpg

I'm not sure how this works with pledged delegates etc, like are they free when someone drops out or does the former candidate still direct them. But it does suggest if there's a winnowing during the primaries period, it won't just be voters unifying against Sanders.

11. Arwon

Arwon

A good rule of thumb when looking at anything in Australia is that for any given institution or organisation, NSW has the worst one. Consider for example that they are strip searching kids and using dogs at music festivals, to search for cannabis that isn't even illegal to possess over the border here in Canberra.

That said, yeah, there's no constitutional or legislative bill of rights here. So if a bad police force or authoritarian police minister happens, the only way to stop stuff like, say, cops strip searching children is to embarrass them and their political matters into stopping doing it. This story is the result of Freedom of Information Act media inquiries trying to do exactly that.

hobbsyoyo and Imaus like this.
  12. Kyriakos

Thanks for the bizarre accusation I made this up, but as usual you are plain wrong; you could have just searched from the info on Kramer and defenders/(&Apollo theatre/Pryor). I didn't feel like revisiting that garbage bin, but anything for a "friend":

The black celebrity saying Obama wasn't black enough, and wanting Hillary for potus in 2008, (drum-roll) was Paul Mooney. Sorry for your loss :vomit:

Not sure if this (NBC New York?) is respectable, but if so the current mayor there will endorse Bern.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Planning to deal with the meat of the observation? Such as that comedians are paid to say things that are offensive, so the fact a comedian said it isn't really relevant anyway since it is crystal clear that you aren't saying it to be funny.

Interesting that you put "friend" in quotes, since once again you are clearly not here to make any. As someone I cannot quote seems to be saying, it looks more like you are just here to be deliberately offensive.

14. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

@Sommerswerd Does this meet the sufficient comic threshold?

Berzerker likes this.
  15. Kyriakos

I am not here to make friends or enemies.
    Mooney is a political comedian and he was being interviewed - but it's not like I expect logic by now.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Sooooo...you're here to dazzle us with your encyclopedic knowledge of USian comedy?

hobbsyoyo, GenMarshall and Kyriakos like this.
  17. Kyriakos

Don't pretend you do not have any Pryors ;)

18. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

I feel that I should remind you of the Abilene problem at this juncture.

19. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I am enjoying the show right now with the MSM freaking out as Bernie takes the lead nationwide and in Texas too. The narrative is how Bernie cant win cos he got a ceiling. Yeah, good thing they got everything right so far, especially the part about Biden being super electable and Warren the better progressive lol.
    Remember in 2016, when Trump was belittled cos he got that 30% ceiling and we all know what happened. It was also a big topic here on CFC as people agreed he got staunch supporters but that base wont expand.

hobbsyoyo, Estebonrober and Kyriakos like this.
  20. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Can't say I'm suprised that all you wanted to respond to was the name of the comedian without addressing the real issue... because your argument is trash and you can't defend it... but don't worry "buddy" I'm happy to remind you. You tried to claim that because a comedian said something, that's was proof that its not offensive... which was flat out brain dead wrong. You also trotted out the typical racist's tried and true defense that "if a black person said it, then it can't possibly be racist/offensive" which is also completely preposterously wrong. So that's strike three... have several seats.

Meanwhile... Bootyjudge is ahead in the delegate count... I guess we will see pretty soon what's what in South Carolina about who can attract the voters there. This could potentially be a knockout blow for Bernie if he can manage to deliver a win.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.