1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part One)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Nov 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

The rule of law has been a slave to the rule of money since before Trump came along. Everything wasn't perfectly fine in 2015.

2. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

The problem with Bloomberg is that he doesn't need to do well in the debate... other candidates need big splashes/good performances in debates to fuel fundraising, while Bloomberg has no such concerns. He can and will self-fund as long as being a candidate amuses him.

As for his stop-and-frisk policy... his new approach is to just apologize and say "That was then, this is now"... which is all he really needs to do for folks that are inclined to support him and looking for an excuse to do so. Voters seem to break three ways on this. 1) Folks who don't like/trust him, think he's just saying whatever he needs to get elected and will not be persuaded by his "apology". 2) Folks who have already decided to support him, recognize that he's probably just saying whatever he needs to get elected, so will praise his "apology" and help push the narrative that he's "changed/evolved." 3) Folks who know his "apology" isn't genuine, and that he's just saying whatever he needs to get elected, but are just hand-waving all that, because they don't like the other candidates and view him as the best chance to win.
    Bloomberg is essentially a Never-Trump Republican who was clever, cynical and rich enough to recognize that a Never-Trumper had no chance getting nominated by running as a Republican so he ran as a Democrat instead.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Rashiminos and GenMarshall like this.
  3. Sommerswerd

Yikes...dude
    Personally, I don't find persuasive the notion that people will turn out to vote for Sanders, and then in non-insignificant numbers... leave the rest of the ballot blank and/or vote Republican or third party. People who are die-hard for Sanders have to realize the only hope to get any of his agenda passed is with YUGE Democratic majorities. The rest of the Sanders' voters will just be Democratic voters, so they're voting downballot for Democrats regardless.
    I'm very curious about this myself... over the years I've heard quite a few Conservative/Republican leaning folks intimate they would vote for Sanders... but I've always wondered if that was more akin to an "eat my hat" type of claim... essentially there was no risk in virtue signaling "independence" by claiming they would vote for Sanders, knowing that he had no chance...

By way of comparison... I will note anecdotally, that I haven't seen many of those folks commit to voting for Sanders this time around... with the notable exception of @onejayhawk who did at least, state explicitly that he would vote for Sanders (in the primary I'm guessing as opposed to the general... but he can correct me if I'm wrong.) I don't remember what thread Jay posted this but I remember trying to post "That's the spirit!" or something like that in response, but my compy crashed and I wasn't able to find the post again. Maybe he sobered up and deleted it :think: :lol:
    I think this is exactly what happened with Warren. She got excited when she tied/passed Biden and thought "OK now its time to tack towards the center to pick up moderates"... she was labelled a flip-flopper, and the bottom promptly fell out of her support.

4. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

<shrug> We're still in primaries and the blue overlords separate the ballots around here. So pretty much the normal, just watching what the beast to the east does.

5. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

You were doing fine at the start. The rest is meh. Sanders appeals to the same people that vote for him in primaries. I would not see the general election significantly enlarging that number. He will do better with the 35%-40% of the country that is anti-Trump.

6. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Let's all take a moment of silence for Michael Avanetti.
    One of the first big media darlings who took on Trump.

He will probably be going to jail for a few decades for attempting to extort Nike for $20 million by threatening to expose their crimes if they didn't hire him for a freakish amount of $$$ to investigate their executives.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisett...ed-in-25-million-extortion-case/#3a3f2ff2421b

With Trumpian logic, he didn't get the money, so did he really commit a crime? :crazyeye:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/03/michael-avenatti-is-mulling-a-2020-run-for-president-again.html

From August 2019:
    Dems need a fighter!

7. Sommerswerd

Mike Tyson 2020

amadeus likes this.
  8. Farm Boy

He seems to have traded in pugilism for cannabis.

9. Sommerswerd

10. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Memorable presentation in Lip Sync Battle, but afterwards? Besides, he did finish second out of two there. Which in the US translates to winning the presidency, so that's a thought right there…

11. Farm Boy

More just general interest, but he may be less into fightin' these days. He's probably put in his time. :lol:

12. Arwon

Arwon

There is a lot about his time as mayor in New York which suggests he's not a big "rule of law" guy, I can see the danger in cementing that kind of casually corrupt autocracy immediately after Trump has done so much damage.

Traitorfish, Lexicus and Cloud_Strife like this.
  13. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

If there's one thing that will be taken away from this election cycle it's that rule of law is irrelevant.

I'd prefer a moment of schadenfreude-filled laughter. I'll take a moment of silence from MSNBC though.

I suspect it's mostly the perception that Sanders is not as much of a deep state tool as other Democrats so there's a good chance he crashes the system faster rather than solidifying it. Better to crash the car than have the wrong driver. Yang was also an option for that, this time around.

That is how Sanders supporters will feel. Won't even matter if it's true or not.

14. Narz

Narz keeping it real

He is a convicted rapist which is almost as bad as being accused of rape.

15. ThERat

ThERat Deity

A new poll for Nevada has Bernie at more than 30% and up 19% or something. Woot, eat that Tim

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Is there some reason your world revolves around me?

Sommerswerd likes this.
  17. Farm Boy

I think you should roll with "charisma."

IglooDude and Sommerswerd like this.
  18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Beats "unknown parentage," which was all I had been able to think of, so thanks.

IglooDude and mitsho like this.
  19. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Looks like Trump is worried about Bloomberg. I can understand Democrat opponents going after him but so are Trump's people while playing up the Bernie is getting screwed by the DNC angle. This latest outrage over Bloomberg's comments about farming is hilarious.

20. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I think you should consider that American exceptionalism is overrated. There's no reason why the US can't go the way of Hungary or Poland. If Bloomberg wins this year, progressives will still have a decent shot next time around. If Trump wins this year, it's hello President Ivanka in 2024.

Even if one were to assume that Bloomberg and Trump are literally identical, voting for Bloomberg would still be the best choice, as his regime would at least have to start the consolidation of power from scratch, rather than building upon four years' work.

But luckily we don't have to worry about something that's not going to happen - Bloomberg winning the nomination. Bloomberg only wins at a contested convention if he has a plurality of delegates, and there's no indication that's going to happen. Biden is still more likely.
    There's a distinction between Berejiklian and Bjelke-Petersen. You don't have to pause to choose between the two, even if strip search quotas are under the former.

I may be thinking about 'rule of law' in a more abstract, fundamental sense than you are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.