1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Where you at again Inno?

2. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

He claims Portugal and I'm inclined to believe it, as he can telecommute for TASS thence.

3. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

So I'd assume he'd be for the break up of Spain? The Russian Federation? India? Obviously any non Han area of China? And on and on just thousands of pockets of "culturally" isolated areas of the world so these little pockets of humanity can continue hating each other like most of the rest of human history? I just don't understand the long term goal other then wallowing in hate and mistrust.

4. Takhisis

I don't know; basically he's anti-EU and anti-USA except that at the same time he supports the (current) US federal administration and I can predict a large amount of his drivel by watching Telesur and the local Russia Today feed.

5. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Yea I get that feeling too, but that is sad.

6. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I will grant that the predicted outcome of a Republican victory has become terrible than in previous election cycles. But that is a question of stakes. The basic claim, that now is not time to criticise the Democrats from the left, is not new. And there is a certain point at which people will begin to wonder, when will it be the time to criticise the Democrats from the left?

Even reasonable arguments tend to ring hollow when the listener does not believe that they are being made in good faith, and when the listener is not a small fringe of disgruntled leftists but, give or take, the entire voting public under the age of forty, this could develop into a real problem for the Democratic Party. Even if very few of them make a conscious decision to withhold their vote, enough will lack the enthusiasm to engage with undecided voters or non-voters, and enough will find themselves otherwise preoccupied on election day, that it could very plausibly throw the election in favour of Trump.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    hobbsyoyo, Socrates99 and cardgame like this.
  7. Takhisis

The (or, rather, a) problem is that people have been immersed so deeply into a cultural war that they now equate criticisng somebody with rejecting them wholesale.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  8. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

The time is when you can reliably win those purple states and some red states are purple.

Also SCOTUS.

If you genuinely believe it's better to throw the election to Trump that's on you.

Realistically 2024-32 is when things will likely change.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. rah

rah Deity Supporter

If the bernie bros cost the Dems the election, they'll deserve what they get. (A tipped SC that will take decades to swing back)

10. Takhisis

Does everybody else deserve what they'll get as well?

11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

No, but what can you do? But we will know who to blame.

12. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Biden, you blame Biden. It's the politician's job to earn votes.

Imaus and cardgame like this.
  13. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

No offense, but unless you excuse the fact that Biden is very much a life long friend of right wing policies, then you should realize that blaming people who want left wing policies from supposedly left wing politicians are not to blame. Biden himself is for catering the corporate interests most of his career. Will I vote for him? Yea, but I will hate every moment of it just as I did voting for bloody Clinton.

Socrates99 and cardgame like this.
  14. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

It is a voter's responsibility to elect politicians who can advance the the voter's goals. Right now, Biden is the best (only?) viable candidate running against Trump. Either Biden wins, or it is four more years of Trump and probably President-for-Life Ivanka. Nobody is asking you to go on a date with Biden, and if you insist on needing to be wooed like a Regency spinster, well, you will only have yourself to blame when we are celebrating Ivanka's new (and compulsory) clothing line.

hobbsyoyo and EdmundIronside like this.
  15. Takhisis

Is this a reference to everybody wearing green and black when She-Go takes over the world or is this just a happy coincidence?

16. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Problem is I dont have any reason to believe Biden advances any of my goals. In fact I still worry he may do to trade and social security what Clinton did to welfare, mass incarceration, banking and trade.

If Biden loses because of the left definitely blame the left. I want to be blamed. Then they admit we have power and have to actually do something to get my vote other than "putting a black woman on the SCOTUS" (this hypothetical judge will likely be pretty conservative for a "democrat".)

That was the whole purpose of blaming Russia and racism. To cover up the fact that they don't do anything for their base.

cardgame likes this.
  17. Takhisis

How about judiciary appointments?
    That is only partially true. The fact is that Russian interference and racism (or do you mean gender bias in the case of people not voting HRC because she is a woman?) are real and a lot of people are genuinely concerned about that.

18. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Will he be closer to your goals than Trump, and will his policies be less cruel and mean than Trump? Who would be more likely to go along with what congresscritters you like support? The Intercept had a good article on Biden's "Unity Team" reaching out to a whole host of progressive democrats and putting them on various task forces, like AOC being co-chair of the Climate Change task force and one of the democratic candidates for Michigan governor, Abdul El-Sayed, on the health care task force. The author argued these appointments showed Biden is serious about reaching out to the Left because you don't put a bunch of very vocal people in positions of influence if you plan on ignoring whatever they say.

It doesn't mean you 'have power', it means you threw the election to Trump because you decided being wooed by a candidate was more important than chosing one that could advance your goals, or was at least not actively opposed to your goals. I'm sure everyone will appreciate your principled stance should Trump win in November.

The only thing more annoying than the "Trump is Putin's Puppet" crowd are the "Nothing to see here with Russia/Ukraine and the Trump campaign" crowd.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  19. Imaus

Imaus King

Imagine if the Democrats came out and declared all-out war and put civility to the chopping block. This nation would rip itself apart in a month.

It does mean the Left has power. If the Left is a coherent enough bloc and doesn't vote for the Dems, and the Centrists/Silent Majority wasn't enough to cover for it, then it does mean the left have power. Would the outcome be preferable?

No, but it'll be a solid affirmation that you can't ignore the left in this country; or that 30% of 25% of the voting bloc (roughly Bernie's Dem support numbers) IS enough to tilt it over; and you'll see the Dems either scramble for two years to get enough of that over for midterms or the Dems will shift even more to the right to nab 'reasonable' Republican votes, which, good luck with that in an era of Trump's party going around making rounds and purges like we saw with the death of the RINO ('moderate' republicans) in Obama's second term along with a half-century of demonization.

You can say the Left is selfish, holding the nation hostage, yadda yadda, but if the system is so weak that such a niche area can take out victory from a candidate, then two things are wrong: the system, and the candidate. Oh I agree the system won't change if no such candidate even willing to be more centrist emerges, but if that is what passes, then that is still why it passes.

20. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

If Democrats were genuinely concerned about Russian interference why are they ignoring the introduction of the Steele Dossier into the election via the FBI and a fraudulent Fisa warrant application to spy on their opponents? They only care when the interference hurts them, like Assange's emails showing DNC corruption. Same with Trump, he cheered Wikileaks but got mad at Ukraine because they took down Manafort.

bizarre video of Biden not asking Abrams to be his VP

Last edited: May 20, 2020