2020 US Election (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have arrived at the point where the total banana republic outcome of the military removing D'ump from office on Jan 20th and establishing an acting government pending elections seems plausible. The strange part is that I have sufficient confidence in the US military to actually see this as a positive outcome. I believe they would hold power just long enough to hold the postponed election then step aside. Whether the country could ever recover is a question.

It just never stops. Arena in OKC bought "social distancing, please do not sit here" stickers and applied them to every other seat in the arena...something close to ten thousand stickers put on by arena staff. Plenty of photos and footage ahead of the rally Saturday night and you can see the stickers on the seats in the background. "Mysteriously," when the doors open for dingbat Don's rally no stickers, and no spacing.

Soooooo...who took the stickers?

The arena that bought the stickers and paid people to put them on changed their mind and paid people to pull them off?

A hoard of curiosity seeking sticker collectors who breached security on a presidential appearance and stole these valuable prizes?

Space aliens?

Or...gosh, do you think maybe the Trump campaign did it? Nope. Denied by the campaign and the white house press office.

My money is on the aliens, because of course the white house would never issue such a blatantly obvious lie in an official statement.

Oh.

Wait.
Never believe something in politics until it's officially denied. ;)

We have arrived at the point where the total banana republic outcome of the military removing D'ump from office on Jan 20th and establishing an acting government pending elections seems plausible. The strange part is that I have sufficient confidence in the US military to actually see this as a positive outcome. I believe they would hold power just long enough to hold the postponed election then step aside. Whether the country could ever recover is a question.

If it comes to that scenario... yes... why would the army trouble itself with the hassle to keep on ruling ?
They are sitting in a comfortable chair in terms of money and peoples support. Restoring that status quo after a minor disruption the most sound way forward.

I wonder
When are the rats going to flee from the sinking Trump ship ?

There is still time for Trump to rebound... but the perspective is bad for him... the door closing

What is the optimal self preservation strategy for individual GOP politicians and the GOP as a whole ?

when ?
how ?

If it comes to that scenario... yes... why would the army trouble itself with the hassle to keep on ruling ?
They are sitting in a comfortable chair in terms of money and peoples support. Restoring that status quo after a minor disruption the most sound way forward.

I wonder
When are the rats going to flee from the sinking Trump ship ?

There is still time for Trump to rebound... but the perspective is bad for him... the door closing

What is the optimal self preservation strategy for individual GOP politicians and the GOP as a whole ?

when ?
how ?

They're stuck with him until after the election.

If Fox news Turns on Trump it's because the Murdoch's and co are cutting their losses. At that point or leading up to it will be when.

If he losses there's that dead duck period between November and January.

*lame duck*, but yes. That's when all hell will break loose. Don Jr., is already "joking" that they should replace removed statues with statues of his father. For all we know, they're floating the idea to see what the reaction will be.

If Fox news Turns on Trump it's because the Murdoch's and co are cutting their losses. At that point or leading up to it will be when.

Fox News has no motive to turn on Trump to cut losses. Their objective is to keep a rock solid grip on the Trumpist audience. Trump is very likely to have his own show once he leaves office.

Fox News has no motive to turn on Trump to cut losses. Their objective is to keep a rock solid grip on the Trumpist audience. Trump is very likely to have his own show once he leaves office.
Unless the SDNY puts him in jail, yes...

Show title:
"Who wants to be a President of the United States"
"America's Next Top Elected Official"
"Keeping up with Ivanka's election campaign"

I don't know, they might be turning on him a bit already
A few days ago an opinion piece from Fox News popped up in my news feed that suggested Trump should drop out of the race because his polling numbers are getting so bad.

While it looks promising, let's not forget that most people thought Hillary was a slam dunk.
There's still plenty of time before the election for things to change.

I would like the dems in the house agree to put limits on mail in ballots but only if they expand the election over multiple days to make it safer. This, just to force the senate to vote against it or have to ignore it.

Fox News has raised the issue "What if Trumps decides not to run?" He might well choose not to run rather than lose badly. I certainly can see him choose that.

"You don't love me any more!" Wah wah wah.... If he doesn't run, he can't lose. It might well create other issues for him, but I'm sure he thinks he can deal with those.

While it looks promising, let's not forget that most people thought Hillary was a slam dunk.
There's still plenty of time before the election for things to change.
538 said:
But some people have dismissed Biden’s lead by pointing out that Hillary Clinton also led in most polls of the 2016 election (Clinton, obviously, ended up losing to Trump). While this is true, Clinton’s lead was much smaller. Applying our current polling-average methodology to 2016 polls, Clinton led national polls by an average of about 4.0 points four months before the 2016 election, and 3.8 points on Election Day itself. So while a normal-sized polling error was enough to throw the 2016 election to Trump, it would take a much bigger — and much unlikelier — polling error for Trump to be ahead right now.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-bidens-polling-lead-is-different-from-clintons-in-2016/

"Keeping up with Ivanka's election campaign"
Owen was almost killed by the shock of ‘Donald Trump Presidential Library’ being an actual possible, if not probable, future and he's been posting less and less since then. Do you want to drive even more intellectuals hence?

Biden is a terrible candidate, in a normal year he'd be torn to pieces. But is is not a normal year, government incompetence in dealing with the virus is so bad that I think now Trump has already gone over the point of no return. He could have save himself playing the "gift of healthcare card" (taking over the medicare for all thing) but he seems too incompetent to know how to do that. And what healthcare there is is failing anyway.
If the democrats manage to keep Biden hidden away they win by default.

He could have save himself playing the "gift of healthcare card" (taking over the medicare for all thing) but he seems too incompetent to know how to do that. And what healthcare there is is failing anyway..

Yes, he's certainly not astronomically comparable to Bismarck offering a welfare system in Germany to undercut the rising electoral power of the early SPD in the big industrial cities, in this way...

Trump reversed the US position on Cuba because Obama initiated it, and he is intent on undoing everything that Obama did in his presidency. It's an obsession with him.
It would be more accurate to say that Obama paid for it and Trump refuses.

Biden is a terrible candidate, in a normal year he'd be torn to pieces.
This year too.

But is is not a normal year, government incompetence in dealing with the virus is so bad that I think now Trump has already gone over the point of no return. He could have save himself playing the "gift of healthcare card" (taking over the medicare for all thing) but he seems too incompetent to know how to do that. And what healthcare there is is failing anyway.
I don't know how much longer they can string the COVID-19 crisis. Even the resurge is more of a whimper, with no matching surge in hospitalizations. In four weeks we should see baseball and NFL in the fall. Add the already appearing signs of economic recovery and it looks good for Trump and the Republicans.

If the democrats manage to keep Biden hidden away they win by default.
That didn't work for Hillary and she was much better situated. She could even string a sentence together without a teleprompter.

J

Last edited:
It does give you some insight into why states like Texas and Florida are pushing ahead with reopening plans in the face of record-level coronavirus cases and spiking hospitalizations. The Trump supporters simply don't believe that its happening and they refuse to be persuaded otherwise. That's all there is to it.

A physician family member shared an example with me, of a recent patient of a colleague, a child who tested positive for coronavirus. When the doctor informed the parents of the positive test, the parents flat-out denied that the test was accurate, denied that their child had coronavirus and refused to believe anything else the doctor said. That's a perfect snapshot of where we are.

Last edited:
It does give you some insight into why states like Texas and Florida are pushing ahead with reopening plans in the face of record-level coronavirus cases and spiking hospitalizations. The Trump supporters simply don't believe that its happening and they refuse to be persuaded otherwise. That's all there is to it.

A physician family member shared an example with me, of a recent patient of a colleague, a child who tested positive for coronavirus. When the doctor informed the parents of the positive test, the parents flat-out denied that the test was accurate, denied that their child had coronavirus and refused to believe anything else the doctor said. That's a perfect snapshot of where we are.

What is to be done?

What is to be done?

Perhaps reference a recent and similar (though far less impactful) issue, which is the anti-vaxxer drama? How are we getting people who refuse to stick needles in their children for the greater public good (as well as their own, natch) to ignore conspiracy-theory "facts" and actually get them vaccinated?

What is to be done?

Apply liability at the individual level.

As I unerstand it this is the consequence of a smaller state influence.

Either you think mainly from out the individual level with a minimal state mainly delivering Laws... in that case as individual your defence is to get at least the damage compensated from another individual causing that damage.

orprevent hundereds of thousands law cases and

The state takes over the risk mitigation on for example contagious risks and to avoid as state paying all damaged citizens and families penalties or social security-healthcare money, the state limits the freedom of citizens regarding infecting other citizens. Meaning enforced socialdistance, enforced vaccination.

The ability of a state AND its people to handle grey zones and going freedom the one area of living and going law enforcement the other area of living determines succes and happiness of the people.

If there is little consistecy between that all.....

I can repeat your question: what is to be done ?

Pray ? Accept your fate ? Ignore it and burry everything around it under six feet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom