1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I watched the Chris Wallace interview. Never saw Trump on the defensive before or admit to any kind of mistake.

Things are different this time around. It would be dumb to say that this is definitely the end for him, but yeah, this is going to be interesting.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  2. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Trump had a decent strategy against Clinton. Hammer her for being the corrupt establishment figure she is. It could have worked vs Biden. But now he's going all in on this law and order "Biden's Antifa" garbage and claiming the guy who said he'd veto M4ALL is going to socialize everything. It's so bat**** crazy even Republicans are saying "wtf?"

I think he's just so far down the rabbit hole that hes operating on only the most crackpot rightwing conspiracies. The dude is delusional.

EdmundIronside likes this.
  3. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Beware of the Leopard

Yeah the most recent Pro Trump adverts have been pretty OTT! Talking about him defunding the police, and showing some sort of dystopian Antifa led mass rioting future under him! Its like they had all these scaremongering anti Sanders adverts stored up, and decided to just copy and paste them for Biden instead! One of my Sanders/Independent voting friends on FB shared a meme which went along the lines of "I wish Biden was the kind of monster that you say he is," which sum it up quite well. The previous Pro Trump adverts weren't a whole lot better. They showed a few clips of Biden saying nice things about China, and then implied he is soft on China and Trump is strong. Of course Biden saying a few nice things about China a few decades ago is not exactly the most concrete evidence. Plus it is not difficult to find quotes from Trump saying positive things about China. Anyway regardless of how people feel about China, I don't think foreign policy ever has a big impact on elections. Domestic policy generally always trumps this (excuse the pun)!

The pro Democrat adverts I have seen are kind of funny, as they almost entirely use the same strategy that Biden relies on, ie "I am not Trump" and "I know Obama." For example senatorial candidate John James is called out for refusing to criticize Trump, while Gary Peters is praised for working with Obama!

The downside of living in a swing state (at least in 2020) is that I am getting slammed by constant election adverts, even though it is still over 3 month away! I feel sorry for people living in Wisconsin and Florida which being probably the most competitive states probably are getting even more adverts.
    Are people in other US states seeing many electoral adverts for the November election?

Berzerker and Socrates99 like this.
  4. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

None in New Hampshire, yet.

A mid-June poll had Biden up by seven points here. The same poll had our Republican governor (John Sununu) up by 39pts over his likely Dem challenger.

I love my state.

5. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

AFAIK we do live in a pretty competitive state. He won MI by only 10k votes v Clinton. I almost feel bad for John James though. Any normal election cycle I'd say he'd be a pretty strong candidate v a guy like Peters. Handsome, well spoken, former military, and a business owner. Not to mention he's one of those rare black Republicans. I just don't see him pulling it off with an anchor like Trump tied to his neck.

And yeah, the ads are getting obnoxious. I can tune out the tv ones. It's the ones that pop up everywhere else that are driving me crazy. Although I do privately chuckle when a Trump as plays on Secular Talk or some show like that.

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I'm getting the feeling he found Karl Rove's playbook.

Around my state, I haven't seen any electoral advertisement being erected on other people's lawns.

7. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Here's what I mean. Trump had a unique combination of traits that accounted for the specific form that his appeal took, and I don't imagine anyone having that same combination of attributes.

1) starting name recognition (his having been on the tee-vee)
    2) enough of his own money so that he could say the crazy early stuff that got him attention and not drive away donors
    3) his speaking style, feels "honest" to politically-disengaged people: "he doesn't talk the way those slimy politicians do." No actually smart person could plausibly adopt that speaking style.
    4) absolute lack of concern for the truthfulness of his statements. Most politicians are liars, but have some reservation about getting caught out in their lie, so they don't lie as blatantly and unreservedly as Trump.
    5) zero political track-record, so people could imagine him as whatever kind of president they wanted to imagine him as.

This set of attributes brought out enough never-voteds or rarely-votes in a few midwestern swing states to give him the win. And all of them together were critical, I think. Since no one else will have that collection of attributes, we'll never have another Trump. And we won't have a smart-and-competent person who can bank on Trump's starting appeal, because he only had that appeal as a result of actually being dumb, not feigning dumb.

8. uppi

uppi Deity

Even if Trump was the single Trump-like person who could have won the last election, the same would not be true for future elections, because Trump has changed the political landscape.

Trump has proven that you can get away with a huge amount of crazy stuff, so donors might not not be as repulsed by similar stuff in the future. And a smarter Trump successor might not have the same appeal, but might be able to piggy-back on Trump's appeal by declaring to be the true successor. (Like Republican candidates trying to present themselves as the reincarnation of Reagan). And since Trump has proven that a large subset of voters do not seem to care about the most blatant lies if you do it often enough, a future crop of politicians might emerge, who have a similar defiance of the truth.

cardgame and El_Machinae like this.
  9. GenMarshall

I thought part of his attributes was that he doesn’t give two craps about political correctness.

10. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

I dunno, I am pretty sure he's a one-termer. And I'm pretty sure his election and the dingleberries that stick with him say more about his opponents than they say about him. I remember Bootstoots being a little proud of us for at least having the gumption to throw the rest of the crowd out on their ears, and I am still a little proud in that very specific way too. There is a big ass cost in having elected Trump, but for those that follow institutional malaise with hawks' eyes, the cost of Trump is not entirely their doing either.

El_Machinae and Socrates99 like this.
  11. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

I intended that to be understood as part of my point #3, and also part of the "crazy stuff" in point #2.

You can get away with it IF you have a bunch of crazed followers that you can use to threaten members of your own party.

This is precisely what I'm saying can't happen. The infrequent voters who liked Trump liked him because of a particular set of traits. They like those traits in him. It's what they like about him being president. When NextGuy comes along without those traits, they won't like NextGuy.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  12. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

and your opponent is absurdly unpopular. Clinton wasn't even that well liked by the Democrat base and hated by Republicans. She was a pretty easy target.

El_Machinae and GenMarshall like this.
  13. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Which leads to the conclusion that the real problem is the mass of GOP voters, and not Trump per se...

cardgame, Bugfatty300 and Samson like this.
  14. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

He drove turnout, but he didn't convert people to the cause.

Samson and GenMarshall like this.
  15. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

He converted enough in the right places to win.

They're not die hards though.

16. Patine

Patine Deity

I must be getting geolocked out of these Internet ads, and my television broadcasters aren't showing them either - for obvious reasons. Thus I haven't seen one - but nor am I craving to.

17. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

:vomit:

I hope this dangerous clown leaves in November. Still afraid of what idiotic choice Biden will make for VP.

Narz likes this.
  18. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Still blaming the voters rather than consider that what the Democrats offered wasn't that impressive and they cocked their last presidential campaign up.

Socrates99 and El_Machinae like this.
  19. Patine

Patine Deity

As I keep saying, the problem is the American voters have no real or genuine choice, because the Duopoly rigs all the elections, anyways. The whole U.S. electoral system is a corrupt criminal racket and an engine of high treason against the American people, nation, and Constitution. It's not a few enigmatic "Russian hackers," Americans should want to drag out for long-delayed and well-deserved justice over stolen and cheated elections.

Berzerker likes this.
  20. GenMarshall

Don’t forget the “sleepy Joe Biden” card in their deck.