1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Mar 11, 2020.

1. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I'm just asking myself, what has Kamala Harris done to those two European dudes (I assume) to deserve such vitriol? Or rather: is that sentiment repeated through the farther left wing of the US Democrats? (I feel far left just doesn't describe Sanders ideas, and neither does radical, but you know who I am refering to).

Or is my impression skewed from this forum? I just feel non-black non-female politicians have done much worse things than Kamala Harris and don't get such hate.

I myself might be a bit skewed since I had a bet running on her to become President and it would feel so sweet to get vindicated this late by a VP post... ;-)

I do agree though that Tammy Duckworth would probably better electorally and Susan Rice would be more effective in rebuilding the administrative shells left by Trump and his croonies. We'll see.

(I finish so many posts with those two words).

2. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

She prosecuted people overly harshly for crimes as a prosecutor in Cali, including protesters of the Iraq War and lots of utterly harmless weed stories, including an actual doctor? who prescribed weed medicinally. I don't know much about these stories, the Iraq protester had a story, I can't look it up because the website I found it on is no longer accessible.

She also said she supported M4A and then flip-flopped almost immediately to "No, I don't support any of those policies" when someone actually interviewed her about it, IIRC.

3. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

You don't know her history, obviously. Wait and see @mitsho.

She's not a normal politician. Normal is Biden or even Trump: corrupt, self important and manipulative. But there's a different kind, the ones who actually enjoy wielding power but believe that to demonstrably to do they should harm other people. That proving their own power is done that way. She's probably a worse psychopath than Hillary, and that one gloated over destroying whole countries.

4. mitsho

mitsho Deity

@innonimatu do you see the difference between these two posts. @cardgame makes me want to look up her story. All the things listed look very bad and while I can see rationalizations for any of them and that they may not necessarily be bad for a moderate voter, I can see how that would upset the farther left. Your post however doesn't tell me anything. Rather it kinda proofs the point that she may be vilified as a women just like Hillary Clinton was. The tone of your post however, just wow, again: such vitriol. Can you describe Biden in similar terms? If not, your position against her might not be too rational, I am sorry.

5. cardgame

I mean, the excessive and overzealous prosecution was done to climb the political ladder because more criminals behind bars for longer = tough on crime

it's not about justice

it's about politics and power grabbing

so it kind of supports inno's post

Berzerker and El_Machinae like this.
  6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

But it does seem that female politicians who act in the same way as many male politicians get far more vitriol directed at them.

tamyrlin, mitsho and Sommerswerd like this.
  7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Well Okay that makes sense, but if we're playing dumb then we have to acknowledge and accept at face value that afterwards she explicitly stated that she did not in-fact believe that Joe Biden was "a racist". Also, if we're playing dumb then we have to acknowledge that she never actually said that he was "a racist" in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    mitsho likes this.
  8. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Prosecuting people overly harsh = a fact that can be discussed.

Saying that she did it because of wanting tk grab power = assuming inner motivations that needs to be proven.

Just look at Trump, we know so much about him, but we still do debate why he is doing what he does. Motivations is a very slippery territory, I can't just take your word for it that she did it because it was politically opportune at the time.

9. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Mercatrix Citrorum Moderator

But in general, most women who act self assuredly, and have a backbone and opinions are seen as a (the B word). You probably know this just from your own life. I know I do from mine.

10. Sommerswerd

That's a pretty standard bad-faith debater / slippery-politician trick. They take a position that sounds good to them in a general sense, or is advantageous to them at the time, but then, when they are later asked to explain or defend their position by someone who is successfully pointing out the flaws, holes, inconsistencies etc., they then either deny ever taking the position, or they declare that they have changed their mind, thereby relieving themselves of any obligation to explain themselves. That's what I think Harris was doing with M4A etc. People do it on these threads all the time. I try not to do it, but I'm sure I've done it myself at some point.
    It doesn't seem that way. It is that way.

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

More crucially, it makes no sense to have a massive failure in the primaries, ie unpopular to dem voters Harris, rewarded by being VP, more so when Biden is so near death/dementia already.
    But I don't suppose any better can be expected.

12. Sommerswerd

Realistically, the choices at this point are:
    1. Harris
    2. Rice
    3. Abrams
    4. Lance-Bottoms

I haven't heard/seen anything that makes me think its worthwhile to discuss any other candidates. It's like complaining that Biden is the nominee... its done. The choices are Biden or Trump, that's it. Lamenting that the candidate isn't someone else does not seem to have much utility at this point.

13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Because he is the nominee, he'd do well to not shoot himself on the (hairy) leg.
    Anyway, makes no difference for me given for foreign policy reasons I'd actually vote Biden if it was close (else abstain). But all the more reason to hope he doesn't choose a VP which makes it harder for him to win.

14. cardgame

Hilarious name, also who the hell is that?

15. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I've always wondered why the nominee of either party doesn't just pick whoever placed second in the primaries? I mean, in theory it would make the most sense in terms of maximizing the amount of votes you get since you would, again in theory, be bringing the number two candidate's supporters into your fold.

16. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

Having backbone and opinions is wonderful.
    However, based on my experience, women in positions of power sadly seem to quite frequently develop what I think of as "chihuahua complex". Maybe since they feel insecure and not respected/taken seriously enough (?) they overcompensate by acting extra bitc... bossy, treating any argument as a personal slight and a challenge to their authority.

17. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

This is, uh, not a great take. Nevermind that men can be equally insecure, it's literally "women having a backbone is great, but".

18. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Clearly you did not understand the relatively subtle point I was making.

I'm saying that Sanders proposes to improve the country and that it is wrong for that to be (called) divisive while an evil resentful idiot who just wants to set the world on fire being opposed is actually a good thing.

19. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

There's no "but". Being assertive and simply being an ass (pardon the pun) are two entirely different things.
    Besides, it's just a personal observation, not a judgement on entire sex or something.

20. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Also just a personal observation based on my own experience but woman are likely to be judged more harshly for assertive behaviour. I've never heard a man described as bossy but women frequently are.