1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Oh, I don't think this is not standing by it. I'm standing by it. And I've even explained precisely the value of that stance in, what is now, excruciating detail.

Do you think all of your opinions are gold? Why would I think that of myself?

2. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Rasmussen has Biden up by 12 points (52% to 40%). I generally regard Rasmussen as pure unadulterated conservative propaganda, so if even they can't find enough Trump supporting subjects in their "polling" to keep Biden under 50% and Trump within 5 points... that's a good sign.

RCP currently has Biden up by 9.4% overall.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

AOC is like Beyoncé... as in you talk **** about her and the AOCeehive is coming for you... that's just the way it goes man, she is loved.

I know that doesn't help my case for her with you, but its the truth. I can't save you :nope:... its a "pays yer money, takes yer chances" kinda situation.:lol:

4. Farm Boy

Now, you leave B out of it.

So sick of it.

It was a bit more experiential than it was supposed to be, but I suppose the joke sort of landed.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

AOC has nothing like this scary image:

It will stay on the web for all time :eek:

6. Farm Boy

I'd let her crush me.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  7. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Beyoncé was one of the few things that could have made Austin Powers even better.

Hey, it's VP debate night!

Sommerswerd likes this.
  8. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

It makes no sense whatsoever to attempt to bailout the airline industry and to keep the restaurants all open because they will not be able to operate on the same level even in two years time. To offer them loans now will just keep people working there stuck in a rut. Let them go bankrupt, let those sectors downsize radically, as is necessary. By all means support people with unemployment benefits or other such schemes, but do not deliver the poison that is loans to nonviable businesses.

The major airlines' most profitable activity, business travel, is gone for good or gonre for many years at least.
    Many restaurant's business, catering to office employees who are being shifted to WFH, is gone. It's not coming back anytime soon.
    It's no good subsidizing these businesses. Do it and you'll only feed a backlash in a few months' time against the "bankrupt state". I'm warning, it's another crass strategic mistake. I'm pissed at seeing this foolishness being done in my country...

And in the US remember that even if the democrats will the election all around they're well capable of doing "austerity" on their own once an excuse exists.

9. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

I couple of years back I was skeptical of AOC. At least until now it doesn't seem she's "sold out", despite having to navigate rough waters infested with lobbyist in Washington. It's worth something.
    Then again I'm not paying that much attention to the details of american politics.

10. Drakle

Drakle King

My guess for the coming VP debate is a draw, or a slight Pence win. Pence is a fairly capable debater, can lie smoothly and doesn't get visibly rattled, so Harris won't crush him. Harris can be a capable debater, but sometimes get thrown off and goes down odd paths. And Harris is far more constrained by expectations. She can't tell Pence to shut up like Biden can, nor can she constantly interrupt like Trump did.

Harris will do better if she keeps the pressure on Pence and COVID. Pence after all as Governor, let an AIDS crisis go crazy, and now as the head of the COVID taskforce, COVID is going out of hand.

Either way, unless Pence visibly melts down (which he won't), the conservative media will herald the Trump-Pence comeback, and then the polls won't change.

Also

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1313976371790532609

Biden has a better shot at winning Texas (30% on 538) than Trump does of winning overall. And Texas counts fast, and urban areas results get reported first. Biden could win on election night or early morning because of Texas and Florida. While Trump switches from 'don't count mail-in ballots' to 'wait for Texan ballots'.

11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

I like AOC, but will like her better when she has a few years in Congress under her belt. She certainly has excellent taste in her choice of lipstick colors to go with her enthusiasm and diligence in thinking about how to solve problems.

12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Rush is all about hating liberals. That's his appeal.

13. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

We have the money to do it so why not? Restaurants and bars are one of the largest tax sources for states and localities. We let them all go under and you might as well just kill off all public education now. And like, the buildings are still there. What are you going to do with them? You can't just wave a wand and downsize millions of physical locations and their footprints and have the utilities and furniture and stuff shrink. And airplanes are never going to fully die. Online shopping depends on them and it's bigger than ever.

We can fund these forever if we want and it isn't gonna be forever. Restaurants are an integral part of the immigrant experience in the US. Go to NYC and tell the immigrant neighborhoods there with a thousand family run businesses they use to support family back in their home country that we should let them go under. Restaurants are not banks. Nobody here views them the same way. People want them saved. Just cruel af to watch them die. We have a checkbook unimaginably deep, we should use it. The bankrupt state is just bs republican talking points and will come no matter what if biden wins. Mitch is going to bring it day one. Let's start ignoring it now. It's a myth that needs to die. It'd be used against Dems if we didn't bail a single person out though.

El_Machinae, hobbsyoyo and Drakle like this.
  14. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

The debate is actually not actively terrible.
    Did I get caught in a parallel universe?

EDIT: And Pence flat out refused to answer a question from the moderator if he has had a conversation with Trump over stepping in should Trump become incapacitated.
    EDIT2: And completely ignored a question over whether the president should be more honest about his health.

Sommerswerd and Drakle like this.
  15. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

That conversation's never happened and they're never going to tell you what they said during it so stop asking.

Sommerswerd and hobbsyoyo like this.
  16. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

To be fair, Harris pretty much didn't answer the question either.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

The moderator doesn't seem interested in enforcing the time limit rules on Pence. Harris keeps abiding by them to her detriment, and she has not called him out on it as she could.

18. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

It's just rehearsed talking points across the board. Harris' "have you talked with Biden about taking over for him" she answered instead "are you qualified to be president?" And Pence hasn't once answered the actual question he was asked.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

And he's making things up almost as aggressively as Trump. I'm losing my patience with both the moderator and Harris for letting Pence run all over her in extended commentary. As others pointed out though, Harris is in a tough spot because if she's aggressive, she'll be slandered by the misogynisphere.

Ajidica, Sommerswerd and Drakle like this.
  20. EdmundIronside

EdmundIronside Challenge Accepted

Pence "I am very proud of our record on the environment and conservation."
    :nono:

Drakle, Ajidica and hobbsyoyo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.