1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

That makes people not hate Trump?

2. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Oh, I misread you then.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

S'okay, happens to the best of us, and even the rest of us.

4. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

If Joe Biden is considering a Republican VP, has worked with segregationists, and is in some ways more to the right of Trump, why do you think he will appoint a good justice?

Estebonrober, Socrates99 and cardgame like this.
  5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Based on the judges Obama appointed, he'll be fine on that front. I do not see this as a real concern with Biden, of which there are many.

Berzerker likes this.
  6. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

OK, but it still needs saying because a lot of people just conflate population, citizenry and electorate.

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Agreed, which is why I have now acknowledged twice that I should have mentioned it.

8. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

But Biden is not Obama

9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

No, but he is still very likely to appoint judges that are going to be consented to in the senate by wide margins rather than the strictly partisan right wing lockstep approvals we have seen from Trump.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Obama, after all, managed to be potus ^_^

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

And you are saying, for approximately the thousandth time, that in your opinion Biden won't.

WE KNOW ALREADY. WE HEARD YOU THE FIRST FEW HUNDRED TIMES.

12. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

I realize I'm from Illinois so my perspective is probably skewed, but people were rumbling about him running for president when he was first elected to the senate. When he stepped up he was practically unstoppable from the get go. It wasn't the narrative, but it seemed pretty obvious from here. People were getting rich until right at the end of the race. The Starbucks candidate really wasn't going to lose to the Dunkin' Donuts one. They partially drifted into Trump territory over the following eight years. Bailouts for Starbucks and foreclosures for Dunkin' did that. Let's see how the bailouts go this time. I'm not particularly hopeful.

Then again, other people thought Hillary was obvious and I thought she was going to win too, so take it with a grain of salt.

13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Obama was destined to be president one day when he delivered the keynote address at the convention in 2004. Even outside Illinois there weren't many close observers of politics that didn't know that.

EgonSpengler and Sommerswerd like this.
  14. Patine

Patine Deity

Tim Horton's always wins up here, @Farm Boy. Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts don't even compete. But Timmy's is clever. They back three different, sometimes up to five, different horses - with drastically, and very different ideas. But, they can all sit in the same 24 hour restaurants and discuss their different viewpoints like adults without fighting like children. Only the Quebec separatists' aren't backed by Timmy's.

15. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

I guess I thought it was a vibe rather than endorsement. More a social commentary on class?

My reading could be faulty - can probably count the times I've had either Dunkin' or Starbucks on both hands. Not entirely certain what Tim Horton's is, though I have heard of it. Usually McDonalds or Casey's if I'm out and about. Crap, the seedy underbelly is showing.

16. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Bernie on how his ideas (raising the minimum wage, tuition-free universities, healthcare for all etc) are not radical.

I like two of the comments there:

-"Biden has no idea, Bernie has real ideas."

-"These ideas aren't radical, they're just rad."

That Bernie would appeal to the independents is rather obvious - but once again, if the #1 goal is to prevent Bernie, the dems lose the election with Biden.

17. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Sanders is clearly the anti-establishment candidate but if he was so popular with non-Democrats why didn't he get that support in the primaries? I can understand it if primaries were closed to non-Dems and some, maybe most were, but people can register as Dems to vote in closed primaries. They must not have cared enough to do the extra leg work.

edit: I just noticed the source was CNN exit polls so does that mean independents and Republicans told pollsters who they were when they voted? I can see a Dem winning primaries and doing worse in the general than their primary opponent.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  18. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

I would have to cede my more relatively meaningful vote in village elections and county primaries in order to cast a symbolic vote for Bernie. I'll have to settle for voting against the president twice. Illinois Democratic party infrastructure working as intended I surmise. Probably at least a little like that everywhere on both sides of the licked window, even if Illinois is a little extra drooly.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  19. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Have they opened a voting centre at the local graveyard yet? The dead of yore can be guaranteed not to have coronavirus.

Estebonrober likes this.
  20. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Deity

I think those polling stations are a tad to the east.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.