2020 US Election (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think nobody's going to win it, with the batch of contenders we have now.

I think I'm going to start referring to Trump as "His Majesty" and calling it the Trump Kingdom rather than the United States. Let no one say I wasn't ahead of the curve. In a few hundred years Trump's name should be a term roughly translating to "ruler" or "chieftain" in the scattered nomadic societies of the post-apocalyptic American wasteland.

It was the violent seizure of crown assets after the King has spent all that money investing in the development of his property

Remember, everything was owned by the king. And he allowed colonists to travel to the new world, subsidized it even, with the understanding that ownership of the land was according to a EULA that was subject to change without notice.

Alternatively, we remember that economics is a game that must be played, and that sometimes the current set of rules leads to a unsustainable endgame. And then we are required to change the rules in order to make the game sustainable

It was the violent seizure of crown assets after the King has spent all that money investing in the development of his property

Remember, everything was owned by the king. And he allowed colonists to travel to the new world, subsidized it even, with the understanding that ownership of the land was according to a EULA that was subject to change without notice.
That was only really a point of conflict in regards to the trans-Appalachian West, and while that's not not a factor going into the Revolution, you'd have a hard time arguing that the United States was founded for the sake of Kentucky.

I'm not a shill and I don't think she can beat him either. But then I work for a company that predicted Hillary would win.
(or at least in all of our models but one) So what the heck do I know.

I was referring to the more general reality that no matter who wins the Democratic party nomination they will suddenly become our number one independent voter's "only reason to support Trump," and our number one even-handed-libertarian-who-supports-neither-party's new worst enemy. Because both are really just plain deep rooted GOP shills.

I would think 1 did but not the other.

Moderator Action: Discuss people's posted positions, not their characters, please.

Cable news is becoming very fake and it's all in favor of Biden.

El_Machinae said:
The American Revolution was founded on the idea that people should get unearned wealth.

Two reasons off the top of my head- by looting it from the Indians, which they were expressly forbidden to do under British government, and by not paying taxes levied by the British government.

If "worker" means the people working under a specific employment description for a guaranteed wage, then the remaining $11, which you deem "boss," means literally everything else going on within the firm. This is all the development, decision-making, and capital required; as well as all the risk. A decent process would be that literally everything involved command its/his/her price based on supply and demand, but that government can interfere to deal with externalities resulting from the production and consumption of widgets, as they can tax to provide public goods.

A small note here about risk. The worker's risk is absolutely limited, but relatively much larger than the owner's. Two thirds of America report that they are living paycheck to paycheck - if the company goes under, the worker risks unemployment trending rapidly toward homelessness. Also a fun analogy here, they have the same political power here, if not less, as an American in the British Colonies - subject to an absolute monarch.

Last edited:
While Biden will probably make it to the showdown at the convention, the question arises who will be second. I think there might be a surprise there.

The Dems are suffering from the exact same problem the Reps did in 2016: too many want the glory to take down the outgoing president. Everyone's jumping on the bandwagon. Everyone's going to be ground up until there are two left.

Honestly the best thing for most of them to do is to drop out now and endorse someone or the other. I can see Bernie-Biden-Warren-Harris-Buttigege emerge for the final round.

Dropping out and endorsing won't do anything if people still don't know your name :lmao:

I only know 7 I think

I was referring to the more general reality that no matter who wins the Democratic party nomination they will suddenly become our number one independent voter's "only reason to support Trump," and our number one even-handed-libertarian-who-supports-neither-party's new worst enemy. Because both are really just plain deep rooted GOP shills.

Democrats are good, Republicans are evil

Better?

I haven't voted for a Republican in almost 4 decades. If it came down to Biden v Trump and I had to pick one, right now I'd pick Trump for one reason - Biden has far too much blood on his hands. His fingerprints are on too many wars, too many ruined lives rotting in cages or coffins for 'drugs'... Nope. HELL NO! I cant support someone like that. Trump is a terrible person in so many ways, but he would have to do something like invade Iran to venture into the hell Biden helped create. There are some Democrats I could support, Yang, Gabbard, Buttigieg, the Atlanta mayor (I gotta remember her name), and maybe Warren. Democrats wont win the moral high ground by lying about people, just makes them look hypocritical for calling Trump a liar.

Moderator Action: Quoting a partial post, or misquoting someone just in order to flame them is a rather dishonest way to have an argument and is looked on with some scorn by staff. There has already been mod text posted in this thread (post #2998) stating that everyone should address the poster's position, not the poster's character. I would strongly suggest that those of you who practice this sort of thing (like in post #3003 as an example) get this impulse under control or there will be thread bans all 'round.

You have been warned twice. The third warning will not be so charitable.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I think nobody's going to win it, with the batch of contenders we have now.
Correct. One will get the nomination and get swamped in November, probably taking the House down with him/her.

While Biden will probably make it to the showdown at the convention, the question arises who will be second. I think there might be a surprise there.

The Dems are suffering from the exact same problem the Reps did in 2016: too many want the glory to take down the outgoing president. Everyone's jumping on the bandwagon. Everyone's going to be ground up until there are two left.

Honestly the best thing for most of them to do is to drop out now and endorse someone or the other. I can see Bernie-Biden-Warren-Harris-Buttigege emerge for the final round.
More like 2012. The old guard had its day in 2008 with McCain at the head. In 2012 the Republicans ran about eight candidates to the front. Romney outlasted them all. It's why I say that Warren is still a possibility.

J

Last edited:
Biden will beat Trump, I'm not sure about Warren or Sanders

a blue collar centrist like Biden wont create the necessary contrast for Trump to claim the middle and independents. I know, Hillary was a centrist. But she was an elitist snob, Biden wont sneer at the working man.

He does sneer very hard at millenials which might cost him. trump is at least an edgy choice, biden isn't anything.

I didn't know he was unenamored with younger people, but they dont vote much... he's gonna be the nominee if the Democrat left doesn't settle on 1 person to go against him

He does sneer very hard at millenials which might cost him. trump is at least an edgy choice, biden isn't anything.

I dunno. Could Biden's pro-segregation stance attract some conservative votes to the Dems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom