1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I think he meant "don't" not "do"

Birdjaguar likes this.
  2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Thanks; I edited my post to make it right. :thumbsup:

3. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

This is the real import of the Flood letter. In early 2016, this was supposedly an anti-espionage investigation, but there are several problems with that explanation. I am guessing that the Inspector General has issued at least a preliminary finding of probable cause that official misconduct occurred. As a reult a Federal Prosecutor has been tasked with the case.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...to_review_origins_of_russia_probe_140321.html

This is the first domino.

J

4. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Seems like a pretty serious escalation. I look forward to this fire fight of lawfare. May the loser never accept the outcome of it. Escalate no matter what the reality. Fight to the death and burn the other side alive. Hail Trump!

Fwiw, you still can't put the shoe on the other foot. If Sanders had a long history of foreign business dealings with states hostile to the US and democracy at large. If he continued to have people talk to and collaborate even tacitly with those foreign interests we would be well served that our intelligence agencies looked into it. I support the CIA and FBI looking into Trumps campaign, all of his children should be indicted for conspiracy as far as I can tell. At least campaign finance violations. Again since never ending escalation seems to be the order of the day, lets just get the dance going.

Stupidity and naivety in the electorate is not an excuse for selling out your nation. You have been sold. Mainly to Saudis, Israelis, and Russians. What is becoming clear is that the republican base wants to be sold to totalitarian states, because in their heart of hearts they are totalitarian.

Edit: In a calmer reaction. Think about the reality of what they did in "spying" on Trump. They tried to protect the nation from having a Russian asset as President. If they were wrong then so be it, but they should not be prosecuted for trying to protect the nation from an obvious adversary. I will never get over the fact that you think its better that they did nothing.

5. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

autocrats are easier to deal with, no democracy, no legislature or judiciary to get in the way, just bribe one guy and its done

6. onejayhawk

More serious than a move to impeach? I don't think so. This is a measured and targeted response.

I agree that stupid and naive electorate is no excuse for selling out the nation. But that's a subject that involves the former Secretary of State and more recent Presidential loser. This conversation is about the Obama administration and the massive scandal that is unfolding from it. That is the reality of spying on Trump. Watergate is nothing but a hiccup in comparison.

Yeah. That is exactly how the BOA comes across, as autocrats bent on railroading the opposition.

J

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  7. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

:popcorn: time

Hrothbern and Berzerker like this.
  8. onejayhawk

The physics part of that is interesting--stored potential energy, etc. This has the look of rulebreaking that has gone on so long that the doers consider themselves above the law. It's a culture that acts as though only the other side has to follow the rules. A lot of it probably will escape account, but not all.

J

9. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

I thought you were a Trump supporter?

10. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Yes, but he's doing projection.

Lexicus likes this.
  11. Truthy

Truthy Idle

Nate Silver responded to this in the 538 politics podcast in this episode. I don't think there's a transcript available, so if you want to know exactly what he said, you probably have to listen to the first 10 minutes or so.

The long and short of it is that CNN was not lying or being misleading. Their sample of younger voters was small, so they didn't think it was a representative sample and so they excluded them from the table. However, they included younger voters in the overall poll results and up-weighted their answers to compensate for them being a small sample.

Why doesn't CNN just call more people instead of calling 400-something, not having any millennials answer their phones, and then dealing with sampling issues? Beause they don't feel like spending the money to do that. But it doesn't matter that much because people like Morning Consult regularly poll thousands of people and got results pretty similar to what CNN showed in this poll from around the same time.

12. onejayhawk

Trump was the subject of illegal spying.

J

13. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I’ll be shocked if you get one indictment out of all this. You guys have been taking conspiracies and how all your political enemies are going to jail for like 30 years now and none of them do, but like a dozen of Trump campaigners are. . . Hmm

14. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

It sure is looking like Carter Page was spied on for dubious reasons, he blamed the dossier.

15. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Didn’t Page have a long history of ties to the Russian energy sector? Wasnt he playing foreign advisor to the trump administration? Was Russia not neck deep in tampering with the election?

If the shoe was on the other foot. . .

Birdjaguar likes this.
  16. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

The shoe is on the other foot, Biden's son sat on the board of a Ukrainian energy company being investigated for corruption while Joe lobbied to get the investigator fired. That does not look good. Now what did Page do? I dont think he was doing much advising, he was just a name Trump threw out when asked for his foreign policy credentials. Apparently that made him a target for Steele and if this dossier was used to justify the spying something is rotten in Denmark.

17. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Except again there is no wide scale effort on the Ukraine part to troll the american election thus far, and also I'm not against them looking into it if they do start doing so and Biden's son is involved. Steele was an investigator with legit credentials before all this, so his dossier took a serious note that, I know republicans don't respect, but obviously the FBI did.

Frankly I'm not against them looking into whether Biden broke any laws by doing that as well, and I support writing laws that would make that kind of action illegal in the future. It is still a markedly different beast than what the Trump campaign was accused of doing.

18. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, if a democrat is convicted of shoplifting, a republican can be excused for murder. :lol:

19. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

it will not stop at the Ukraine...
    people are already checking out the company set up by him and John Kerry's son
    Bohai Harvest RST with direct links to the Bank of China and the Communist party... it deals in surveillance technology...
    "All politics are personal"... ''China's economic growth is very much in the interest of the United states" Biden 2013

Former Vice President Joe Biden downplayed again the threat of China, saying the Chinese economy or its influence won’t overtake the U.S., reiterating his previous stance that China is not a competitor.

China not a competitor to his personal family ambitions
    he was out again last week spruiking their ''good guy'' credentials

Both Bernie and Mitt missed his point...that when it comes to corruption, China is no competition for the Dems

20. rah

rah Deity Supporter

But does any of this excuse Trump's sins? It more like people are trying to divert attention from it.