2020 US Election (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does "anti-church people" include anti-mosque people and anti-synagogue people? Cause those folks are mostly Conservatives, etc.

Does "anti-faith people" include Anti-Islam/Anti-Muslim people? Cause again... that's more a Conservative/Republican thing.

Or was Christianity the only thing that counted as "faith" and "church" and "religious freedom" in your mind?

Sometimes I think liking a post should have a "boom" emoji effect as you scroll past it. lol.

My point was all this is overblown media driven nonsense. The right wing media which contrary to its self recognition is large and powerful perpetuates the idea that the entire left wing is godless communists. It is fear mongering and "otherizing" in a dangerous manner. It is part of what concerns me most in the body politic in the West these days.

Does "anti-church people" include anti-mosque people and anti-synagogue people? Cause those folks are mostly Conservatives, etc.

Does "anti-faith people" include Anti-Islam/Anti-Muslim people? Cause again... that's more a Conservative/Republican thing.

Or was Christianity the only thing that counted as "faith" and "church" and "religious freedom" in your mind?
Anti-synagogue, yes, particularly in the form of anti-Israel. Anti-muslim is still close to universal.

Yes. No it isn't

No. Why would it be?

J

That's not happening either.

My bad. Second point but third sentence.

J

One very common trait I've found with conservative thinkers is they lack imagination. . .Not only can it happen, it is currently happening if we continue our pace, and has almost happened in the past.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/07/a-road-trip-to-the-end-of-the-world/532914/

The good lord gave us the earth for us to be fruitful, part of that gift is the responsibility that goes with such a gift. We are supposed to be good stewards of this gift, we are failing that so a few people can get insanely wealthy. We can and should be better. There a "leftist" put a global warming argument in biblical terms. You're welcome.

Meh. That is bureaucratic more than political. Exemptions for burial practices are common, for example.

The war on drugs has been waged with fervor, religious freedom wont matter after we're dead. If religious freedom means anything it is the freedom of spiritual consciousness and for God only knows how long, that included drugs, musical trances, mind altered journeys, etc. No, neither party has a good track record on religious freedom.

I've watched Bill Maher criticize religion for over 2 decades to applauding audiences so it is a problem. If a race was between 2 Democrats with 1 being openly religious and the other openly atheist, who do you think Bill Maher would vote for?
Maher would vote for the atheist but the majority, yes even the majority of his crowd that laughs at his jokes, would vote the religious one. It's a statistical fact. Atheists are at an extreme disadvantage even as Democrats. People still tie morality to religion for some weird reason.

One very common trait I've found with conservative thinkers is they lack imagination. . .Not only can it happen, it is currently happening if we continue our pace, and has almost happened in the past.

While that is a good article emphatically worth reading, the Earth isn't going to resemble Mercury without some catastrophe that is well beyond the capacity of humans. We'd have to stop the magnetic field or significantly reduce the mass of the planet to strip off the atmosphere like that. I'm pretty far out there on the "we are utterly doomed" scale but I don't think we can get to Venus-like conditions even if we burn all the fossil carbon in the entire crust, either.

While that is a good article emphatically worth reading, the Earth isn't going to resemble Mercury without some catastrophe that is well beyond the capacity of humans. We'd have to stop the magnetic field or significantly reduce the mass of the planet to strip off the atmosphere like that. I'm pretty far out there on the "we are utterly doomed" scale but I don't think we can get to Venus-like conditions even if we burn all the fossil carbon in the entire crust, either.

Realistically no, its an analogy that even the layman can wrap his mind around. Most children know Venus is insanely hot and not conducive to life. Referencing it is rhetorical. I'm pretty sure as we get to study more and more planets outside our solar system we will find almost no two are ever perfectly alike. Little snowflakes in the cosmic wind.

Realistically no, its an analogy that even the layman can wrap his mind around. Most children know Venus is insanely hot and not conducive to life. Referencing it is rhetorical. I'm pretty sure as we get to study more and more planets outside our solar system we will find almost no two are ever perfectly alike. Little snowflakes in the cosmic wind.

It's rhetorical but not particularly helpful. Just say we are doing a mass extinction, a possible P-T repeat. That's sober fact, no exaggeration whatever.

Maher would vote for the atheist but the majority, yes even the majority of his crowd that laughs at his jokes, would vote the religious one. It's a statistical fact. Atheists are at an extreme disadvantage even as Democrats. People still tie morality to religion for some weird reason.

Ironically some "Satanists" are more Christian than a lot of Christians these days. Of course I take that with a huge grain of salt since it is intentionally obtuse in it's execution as to be pointing out the hypocrisy of evangelical movements and such.

Anyway, you know perfectly well it's not a "communication problem" but another manifestation of the increasingly dangerous fantasies in which the right is immersed. It's not possible to honestly believe that publicly-displayed religious faith is a problem for a Democratic candidate for national office, it's just totally ridiculous. And J knows this perfectly well, he's just lying as usual to confuse people and piss them off. It also feeds into the whole "telling me I can't persecute people is persecuting me" that the right in the US has been engaged in ever since an antislavery electoral majority looked like it might emerge in the northern states.

Are you stating that you think that is not a mainstream right-wing view that the left is anti faith?

Ironically some "Satanists" are more Christian than a lot of Christians these days. Of course I take that with a huge grain of salt since it is intentionally obtuse in it's execution as to be pointing out the hypocrisy of evangelical movements and such.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Postmodernism is destroying the world. But it's not "leftist academics", it's American "Christians" who think they're actually following Christ. There is literally no group of people in all of recorded history who are less Christian than the modern Christian right in the United States.

Are you stating that you think that is not a mainstream right-wing view that the left is anti faith?

I think I'm saying the opposite

The war on drugs has been waged with fervor, religious freedom wont matter after we're dead. If religious freedom means anything it is the freedom of spiritual consciousness and for God only knows how long, that included drugs, musical trances, mind altered journeys, etc. No, neither party has a good track record on religious freedom.
I'm for ending the war on drugs. It's a public health issue like opioids. A significant fraction of violent crime involves addicts trying to raise money for a fix or distributors battling for market share. You still need control of tings like date rape drugs, but there is broad consensus ab
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Postmodernism is destroying the world. But it's not "leftist academics", it's American "Christians" who think they're actually following Christ. There is literally no group of people in all of recorded history who are less Christian than the modern Christian right in the United States.

I think I'm saying the opposite
Are you saying the left is anti-faith?

J

It is interesting if people of the mainstream right suspect that the mainstream left is anti-religious. It's a communication problem.
Was there a time when prickly religious types didn't think the world was out to get them? Look at the Mayflower. They were so worried that everybody else in Europe was "anti-faith" that they couldn't bear to share a continent with them.

the atheist would have no chance.

Religious beliefs and faith being about as irrational a topic you can find. The fact you are politically dead if not religious in a presidential race speaks volumes about the rational on which these elections are held. Funny however; how the same majority of the electorate will bend over backwards in attempts to find rational in defence for the present economic policy. Your moral code can be anywhere – but challenge the way the budget is crafted and you’re done for. Green new deal – apparently extremely suspect if you’ve been talking to Jesus all your life.

The fact you are politically dead if not religious in a presidential race speaks volumes about the rational on which these elections are held.

Actually, the hostility to atheists is a relatively benign aspect of US presidential elections. Just as an example of what I'm talking about, in the last election one party's primary candidates boasted openly of how they would kill more people than the others. Several promised to commit war crimes, to cheers and applause. Just the fact that this was happening in a national election would be embarrassing enough but of course one of those candidates went on to win!

And the other became president!

Are you saying the left is anti-faith?
No. That the mainstream rightwing view of 'the left' is that 'the left is anti-faith'. The rest of his post is that it's not a very intellectually honest position, but one that the rightwing has talked itself into. The analogue is that it is a mainstream view of the left that "the right holds poor people in contempt".

Trump is an atheist or agnostic, he just lies about it but he aint foolin anyone. But he does expose the 'religious right' as frauds, at least the ones who voted for him in the primaries.

Was there a time when prickly religious types didn't think the world was out to get them? Look at the Mayflower. They were so worried that everybody else in Europe was "anti-faith" that they couldn't bear to share a continent with them.

I cant remember her name but a comedian had a routine about her ancestors coming over on the Mayflower, they didn't leave England for religious freedom but for the freedom to punish sinners. I dont actually know how fervent the Pilgrims were but the Puritans showed up a decade later and Rhode Island was founded by someone (Roger Williams?) who was unhappy with their arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom