1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

It's rhetorical but not particularly helpful. Just say we are doing a mass extinction, a possible P-T repeat. That's sober fact, no exaggeration whatever.

Estebonrober likes this.
  2. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Chieftain

Ironically some "Satanists" are more Christian than a lot of Christians these days. Of course I take that with a huge grain of salt since it is intentionally obtuse in it's execution as to be pointing out the hypocrisy of evangelical movements and such.

Socrates99 likes this.
  3. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Are you stating that you think that is not a mainstream right-wing view that the left is anti faith?

4. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Postmodernism is destroying the world. But it's not "leftist academics", it's American "Christians" who think they're actually following Christ. There is literally no group of people in all of recorded history who are less Christian than the modern Christian right in the United States.

I think I'm saying the opposite

haroon, Socrates99 and rah like this.
  5. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

I'm for ending the war on drugs. It's a public health issue like opioids. A significant fraction of violent crime involves addicts trying to raise money for a fix or distributors battling for market share. You still need control of tings like date rape drugs, but there is broad consensus ab
    Are you saying the left is anti-faith?

J

6. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Was there a time when prickly religious types didn't think the world was out to get them? Look at the Mayflower. They were so worried that everybody else in Europe was "anti-faith" that they couldn't bear to share a continent with them.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  7. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

Religious beliefs and faith being about as irrational a topic you can find. The fact you are politically dead if not religious in a presidential race speaks volumes about the rational on which these elections are held. Funny however; how the same majority of the electorate will bend over backwards in attempts to find rational in defence for the present economic policy. Your moral code can be anywhere – but challenge the way the budget is crafted and you’re done for. Green new deal – apparently extremely suspect if you’ve been talking to Jesus all your life.

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Actually, the hostility to atheists is a relatively benign aspect of US presidential elections. Just as an example of what I'm talking about, in the last election one party's primary candidates boasted openly of how they would kill more people than the others. Several promised to commit war crimes, to cheers and applause. Just the fact that this was happening in a national election would be embarrassing enough but of course one of those candidates went on to win!

9. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

And the other became president!

10. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Are you calling the Christian Right faithful?

11. El_Machinae

No. That the mainstream rightwing view of 'the left' is that 'the left is anti-faith'. The rest of his post is that it's not a very intellectually honest position, but one that the rightwing has talked itself into. The analogue is that it is a mainstream view of the left that "the right holds poor people in contempt".

12. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

Trump is an atheist or agnostic, he just lies about it but he aint foolin anyone. But he does expose the 'religious right' as frauds, at least the ones who voted for him in the primaries.

I cant remember her name but a comedian had a routine about her ancestors coming over on the Mayflower, they didn't leave England for religious freedom but for the freedom to punish sinners. I dont actually know how fervent the Pilgrims were but the Puritans showed up a decade later and Rhode Island was founded by someone (Roger Williams?) who was unhappy with their arrival.

13. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

The ones I know are. That's the Southern Baptist, Church of Christ bunch, so they are pretty Bible centered. Like any church, you get your true believers and the hangers on, but on the whole I would say, yes.

So, we have a mixed review, which fits since neither side is monolithic. To the extent that there is an anti-faith bloc, it is in the liberal camp. To the extent that there are anti-Christian or anti-Jewish blocs, they are also liberal. Anti-Muslim can be either but differently oriented depending on which side.

Trump isn't. Clinton wasn't. What you cannot be is anti-religious. Agnostic is forgivable but not atheist.

J

14. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

No reason why an atheist should be considered anti-religious. Most atheist are pro-choice when it comes to spirituality. Is it the matter of questioning blind faith that makes you see them as anti-religion? Many atheists are in fact very spiritual. I consider myself more agnostic but that’s really just a fuzzy convenience. I’m basically a spiritual and irrational atheist still searching answers. At least I can honestly recognise the irrationality of my spiritual position.

Now let’s drag this back on topic. Why do a majority of Americans still demand a presidential candidate morally grounded in an inherited religious faith – much lacking in sense of objective rational – and then expect them to reason in rational about law and policy?

15. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Those guys marching with the torches chanting "Jew will not replace us" weren't voting for liberals. You think those guys would support Sanders in the election?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  16. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Chieftain

"Jews will not replace us" -> votes for Jewish man. Makes sense :crazyeye:

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Read dat post more carefully

18. El_Machinae

Only non evangelicals think that Trump isn't religious. It's why we were so stunned about him lying about his faith, because we thought it would greatly offend the evangelicals. But it didn't. They seemed to embrace him.

19. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Who's "we" here, you and the one other person in the world who thought US evangelicals had any real principles?

20. El_Machinae

The problem with quoting me when you make these non useful quips is that I get an alert, and then I followed the alerts thinking they're important. And so, it kind of wastes my time. Obviously, you're free to make your sardonic group attacks. It's the quoting that's the problem