1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Nah man, "the left" mocks the right's ridiculously overwrought claims of systemic left-wing or liberal media bias because that is a figment of the right-wing imagination.

Now, you have latched onto something insofar as the Trump's critique of the media (which basically amounts to: it doesn't act as my propagandists) some liberals have responded with arguments that seem to implicitly assume we should uncritically trust the media as neutral conveyors of facts, but the left wing of the Democratic party has remained critical of the media because we know it's controlled ultimately by the capitalists.

cardgame likes this.
  2. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

I would prefer to pay absolutely zero attention to Trump, so I'm not going to read every single article criticizing him looking for bias or whatever. What I do hear, just by existing on the internet, is conservatives complaining about "the unfair media" and every. single. time. it's just that Trump did something stupid and the media reported relatively accurately that Trump did something stupid. Frequently they don't go far enough, or at least this was the case in '17 and early '18.

Bernie Sanders on the other hand is an actually interesting figure that I sometimes like paying attention to, so spotting the bias is a lot easier. Especially when they make it so absurdly obvious. The NYT's Bernie coverage is provided by a business school grad married to a Finance bro, who has no actual background in journalism, and who sources loads of quotes from corporate lobbyists.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 9:15 PM
    Estebonrober likes this.
  3. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

'Trump called neo-Nazis fine people and Mexicans rapists'

the media bias is in our face everyday, you dont have to go looking for it

4. Narz

Narz keeping it real

"including far-right stepping stone Joe Rogan" lol, what garbage. Rogan's last two guests were Cornel West & Bernie Sanders.

Can't anyone just trust their own "journalism" to be interesting without trying to fan flames & get people's panties in a bunch? :rolleyes:

"Listen to Tulsi Gabbard talk about war, and you will hear about wasteful government spending. You will hear about post-traumatic stress disorder, the VA’s failures, and the tolls extracted from the bodies of American soldiers. You will hear about the cost of our bombs, and how they help to sow the seeds of terrorism around the world. You are unlikely to hear, however, about suffering abroad. You are unlikely to hear about the victims of imperialism, international solidarity, or the essential right of non-Americans to freedom, material security, or collective self-determination."

She has the right ideas but she didn't mention all of our preferred talking points, therefore her heart is in the wrong place. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

OMG, she's converting people from the Right into Democrat voters & some people on four - chan like her, she must be evil. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Baffling indeed.

I guess I should have more sympathy for this Mamagram guy, sounds like he's homeless
    https://thebaffler.com/authors/evan-malmgren

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 9:29 PM
  5. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Bias is when you quote the subject of the story

hobbsyoyo and Lexicus like this.
  6. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Mostly the people who talk about how hot she is are her haters (like most people who assume a pretty woman is only where shes at because of her looks)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 12:35 AM
    MagisterCultuum likes this.
  7. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

I saw both, I didn't care for West in the past cuz I never got to see him pontificate for more than a minute or 2 at a time and it just sounded like a sequence of cliches but he was very impressive without a time constraint.

Those aren't quotes, they're media fabrications

Prove me wrong, quote Trump calling neo-Nazis fine people and Mexicans rapists.

8. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Thread Killer Moderator Supporter

Source: RealClearPolitics The Hill

Real Clear Politics even has video.

9. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

Trump said some of the Mexicans coming across the border are rapists

Not true?

No Mexicans are bringing drugs in either?

Trump: some Mexicans entering the country illegally are rapists
    Media: Trump called Mexicans rapists

How do y'all not see the bias?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 10:37 PM
    Tristan_C likes this.
  10. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

I live in a country where said ‘liberal moderates’ actually managed to copy the Democrats' 2016 playbook and lose a preliminary election to a bunch of people who openly praise Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin, boast about economic mismanagement, issue death threats against their opponents and proclaim that corruption is a good thing almost like Donald Trump saying he doesn't pay taxes because he is ‘smart’.

So yes. And, what's worse, you're not alone!

11. Narz

Narz keeping it real

He's trying to stoke fear, he's implying immigrants are more likely to rapists. And that "Mexico is sending them", no ones sending them, they are coming, seeking a better life. They are statistically less criminal than natives iirc.

Birdjaguar and MagisterCultuum like this.
  12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

CNN, what a load of trash :)

13. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

He didn't mention immigrants, but does that mean he said Mexicans are rapists or that some Mexicans illegally entering the country are rapists?

14. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

He's stoking racist fear. First off, he is making Mexico an active participant. So not just that some illegal immigrants turn out to be rapists. But Mexico is sending their rapists. Big difference.

It's the same racism that allowed him to send the racist infographic about crime statistics. It's the same racism that allowed him to bring up the heritage of the judge ruling on Trump University. It's the same racism that caused him to assume that three of the four congresswoman actually had some place to go back to

You're nitpicking a specific case. But it's a Gestalt of stoking racism.

15. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

As much as Dems complain that Trump attempted to reverse everything Obama did as president just because it was Obama, I expect the exact same thing to happen if a Dem is elected in 2020. And that republicans will do a similar foaming at the mouth.

16. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

Trump only got one piece of legislation passed that really mattered, tax cuts. I assume that's goneburger in 2020 if the Dems win.

17. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Will the Democrats make the same mistake as Obama did in treating the current GOP as if they were reasonable people amenable to reason and compromise?

cardgame and Lexicus like this.
  18. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I think that ship sailed already. So no.

19. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I mean, Biden has said he will do exactly that - in his words
    “With Trump gone you’re going to begin to see things change. Because these folks know better. They know this isn’t what they’re supposed to be doing."

and Biden is firmly ahead in the polls; no developments so far have changed that.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  20. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

That's just campaign speak in my opinion. Do you really think the Dems in Congress will fall for that crap again? They'll be out for revenge.