2020 US Election (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit frustrating to hear how rural areas are suffering but yet ghey consistantly vote GOP, at some point these people need to do some introspection
Some time ago, I heard a Kansas woman on the radio say that she had voted Republican her whole life, and she was watching her local school district all but collapse for lack of funding. She said, "From the local school board all the way on up to the White House, there's nothing but Republicans, so I don't know who else to blame." So she was having a little bit of a rethink, I guess. I've read that since telling Sam Brownback to get stuffed, the Kansas economy has rebounded dramatically.

I've also heard it said that Bobby Jindal did more damage to the Louisiana economy than Hurricane Katrina did. Maybe that was hyperbole.

There's a podunk town in Sicily selling houses for $1. Beautiful scenery but there's no mention of electricity, plumbing or sewers. :dubious:
There's a lot of that going on in Italy. It's done because local municipalities are absorbed by larger neighbours if their population drops below a statutory minimum.
They're ugly and they stretch for mile upon mile. At least they seem useful. They could be worse. They could be Naperville.
Compared to the pleasant æsthetics of oil derricks or living near a refinery?

Those are much smaller. It's sort of like living in a demented forest of children's toys. You figure it'd get better once the sun goes down and you can't see them, but then they all blink in unison like ranks of Cyclopses.

The best you can hope for is to try to tune them out, but if you're within a quarter mile or so of one, you realize they aren't quiet either.

I have experienced the noise so aware of that, but I have never lived or camped near them so I'll take your word for it.

I know. It's because liberals don't really believe in human agency except in the most superficial and useless sense (e.g. "if you don't like where you're living, move!"). The foundational myth of liberalism is that human society is really no different from the animal kingdom and that it follows laws similar to those that govern the orbits of the planets. As such the scope of problems that can be solved by politics is small. In fact for liberals the ideal society is one where politics barely even exists because the market solves virtually all distributional questions. Depending on the degree of engagement with reality liberals will accept government policies are necessary to correct market failures.

I believe in human agency. What I don't believe is that I've ever met a human agent that really wanted to live in BFI (an acronym I'm sure is more easily recognized in the Egypt version than the Indiana version). I grew up in "good manufacturing jobs America" and NO ONE I went to school with wanted to stay there. College, the military, prison, a drug overdose...WHATEVER IT TOOK, we were all on the first opportunity out. It isn't "political choices" that make living in BFI totally unattractive to the modern USian, it is BFI itself.

As I said in the GOP thread, it won't, because while the broad characteristics of the Thing are the same, they're in reality two ontologically distinct entities. That is to say, Trump wraps himself in the guise of an outsider, not someone who has been cultivated and groomed within the Hill for decades. He may present himself as a billionaire, but ultimately in the eyes of a voter, he's "just a working stiff like me." There's something to be said to that line that every American thinks of themselves as a "temporarily displaced millionaire," and so there is in some sense an identification with Trump in that respect, as a "temporarily displaced millionaire" that's finally made good. Nevermind the fact that he inherited his wealth - that's immaterial here, because: the fact that he rambles incoherently and that he doesn't come with the fancy high-intellectual credentials serves to emphasize this alignment; he didn't go to Harvard or Yale or Georgetown to study law/political science, he didn't intern for a senator or clerk for a judge out of college, and he didn't work in some shady think tank for 5-8 years before starting down that cursus honorum that the vast majority of our politicians follow. The broad-strokes narrative is eminently recognizable as the paradigmatic American dream: go to college, get some money from your parents, "start a business", find success, and then enjoy the fruits of your labor. The narrative works despite the actual facts (he got his degree from an Ivy League, his wealth is inherited, he long-term almost certainly lost money through his business decisions over doing nothing with it and sticking it in indexed funds) because it rings a lot more clearly to people; it reifies the American dream (with just a bit of startup capital anybody can "become a billionaire") as opposed to the cursus honorum of The Hill which paints a picture of a political élite of powerful people using their power and social connections to put their children in lanes that raise them into that same élite class in an ourobouros of political hobnobbing.

The political response, from the élite both in the Republican and Democratic parties serves only to play into this. Their reaction is to attack his credentials (i.e. that he doesn't come from this political élite ourobouros pipeline) and to attack his manner of speech (i.e. that he "sounds dumb" or "incoherent," or else that he says distasteful things). This serves only to focus that social/class dichotomy. It's not a matter of rich versus poor, but a matter of socially élite versus not. It's a classic divide that has long colored American history and culture. On the one hand you have the blue blood élite that go to high-falutin East Coast Universities, attend symphonies, and talks about the latest Economist or New Yorker articleand only really interact with each other. And on the other hand you have everybody else that maybe go to a State school, listen to popular music, and reference Mad Magazine or Looney Tunes or whatever. A member of the everybody else may make a fortune - they may even command more wealth in reality than any of those blue bloods, but they will never be a blue blood because they don't have that pedigree, they don't have those credentials, and they don't have "that taste". All of the democratic criticisms of Trump play into this. The criticisms of his ill-fitting suits, of his garishly decorated apartments, his tacky bombast, his predilections for fast food, his rambling inarticulate diction, this all plays into this dichotomy - it's an ordinary person made good being derided by an élite class for not being one of them - and it serves only to emphasize to ordinary voters that there is a class divide in this country, and that political élite class ("the swamp") will do whatever they can to hammer home this divide and prevent ordinary people from holding any power whatsoever.

This is why the improprieties of Trump and the improprieties of Biden are totally different. Biden is a Washington élite. A senator of 30 years. As such, he presents himself/is presented by association with his party as someone who is of a more refined or distinguished character. He is an élite and is deserving of the esteem that entails. When it comes to light that Biden has used his influence to get his burnout son a cushy job on a corporate board, that emphasizes this class divide again. That ourobouros rears its ugly head (or...tail? :mischief:). It makes it clear that the meritocracy is a lie, and that there's rules for the powerful (political/cultural - not economic - élite) and there's rules for everybody else. When Trump does bad, it looks different because a) Trump doesn't present himself as someone who ought to be held to a higher standard as a Biden or Hillary does, and b) because when Washington points that bad out, it simply comes across as that political élite circling the wagons, as looking down their nose at the boorish normal people, and as conspiring to prevent ordinary people from acquiring any sort of power or say whatsoever. That's the difference.

A big refrain during the 2016 election was that to understand Donald Trump you needed to take him "Seriously" and not "Literally." Which is to say, you had to think about him and his rhetoric more in terms of what he represents at a broader, structural or cultural level. Much was made of this distinction because to Coastal Liberal voters and media, what he said was literally incoherent and nobody could really make sense of why he had and continues to have so much staying power. The answer that the Coastal Liberal voters and media have seemed to settle on with this form of analysis is, essentially, that Trump speaks to racism and "economic anxiety" which resonates with poor voters. But this is still not getting it. This is still trying to take Trump "literally" and not "seriously" by paternalistically looking down one's nose at the boorish poor white who irrationally "fears what he does not understand," and the assumption is that, on the one hand, we need to rehabilitate these people by patronizingly showing them the error of their ways, or else rest smug in the knowledge that Trump will reveal himself as a fraud and his base will turn on him. That's not going to happen, and as long as you (royal You) insist on such a monolectic, superficial (literal) analysis, you will never actually understand Trump, nor his base of support. They aren't dumb. They aren't deluded. And they aren't propped up by some absurd shadowy cabal of Russian GRU operatives. And you (royal you) are never going to truly understand them until you make a genuine dialectic analysis of the structure of American culture and politics. To understand Trump's support you have to not only take Trump "seriously, not literally," but you have to apply the same dialectic analysis to the Democratic (in particular) and Washingtonian (more broadly) establishment as well.

tl;dr: read The Rise of Silas Lapham
"Electoral photography is therefore above all the acknowledgment of something deep and irrational co-extensive with politics. What is transmitted through the photograph of the candidate are not his plans, but his deep motives, all his family, mental, even erotic circumstances, all this style of life of which he is at once the product, the example and the bait. It is obvious that what most of our candidates offer us through their likeness is a type of social setting, the spectacular comfort of family, legal and religious norms, the suggestion of innately owning such items of bourgeois property as Sunday Mass, xenophobia, steak and chips, ****old jokes, in short, what we call an ideology.

Needless to say the use of electoral photography presupposes a kind of complicity: a photograph is a mirror, what we are asked to read is the familiar, the known; it offers to the voter his own likeness, but clarified, exalted, superbly elevated into a type. This glorification is in fact the very definition of the photogenic: the voter is at once expressed and heroized, he is invited to elect himself, to weigh the mandate which he is about to give with a veritable physical transference: he is delegating his 'race'"

Roland Barthes, "Mythologies" (1956)

This forum censoring a non-offensive word from academic literature while allowing people to openly espouse fascist views is a perfect summary of our society today. My good we are really doomed.

This forum censoring a non-offensive word from academic literature while allowing people to openly espouse fascist views is a perfect summary of our society today. My good we are really doomed.

Oh no! Did you get censored like a *****? Did it crack your last faith in humanity, being considered that low of fudging class? :lol:

I mean, loudly declaring the abject decadence of contemporary society, and discovering that decadence in innocuous and mundane behaviour, is also kinda fashy. If you took a moment and Occam'd this one out, is it more likely that the censoring of this word is a symbol of the decline of Western civilisation, or that it was added to the autocensor to discourage a spat of non-constructive usage and nobody has gotten around to removing it?

I'd bet by election day she'll go, 'but abortion' and vote straight ticket Republican.

Choosing uneducated kids over dead kids seems like something a minimally humanitarian person might do, yes.

Last edited:
That's one dark interpretation of the phrase 'the unexamined life is not worth living'. ;)

I mean, loudly declaring the abject decadence of contemporary society, and discovering that decadence in innocuous and mundane behaviour, is also kinda fashy. If you took a moment and Occam'd this one out, is it more likely that the censoring of this word is a symbol of the decline of Western civilisation, or that it was added to the autocensor to discourage a spat of non-constructive usage and nobody has gotten around to removing it?
My post wasn't just a momentous jab at that particular instance of social degradation, but a sublimation of my daily observations. For example, look at this: 'Graffiti Grandma' fined €300 for painting over swastikas. The person doing something not at all objectionable gets punishment, while the people with evil motives get away.

It's almost like being in kindergarten: if someone teases you and you slap them, the teacher will punish you for slapping them, but not them for provoking you. The person with malicious intent whose goal is to do something bad gets away, while the poor soul who reacts gets punished.

However, not at all surprised that in the era of Trump we are all living in one big kindergarten. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Flip the order, the POTUS is important, but he's not that important. The AgeOfassClown got us President Trump. Trump didn't create it, he's just wonderfully adapted to the particular flavor of muck.

Farm Boy's right, Trump is the result, a catalyst that slotted into a system that took decades to design and implement.

"He's got a big softball coming over the plate and thats Syria, he is the only candidate on that stage with considerable foreign policy experience" - Mara Liasson of NPR talking about Biden's advantage in tonight's debate

I thought Buttigieg served in Afghanistan and Gabbard in Iraq. Maybe she's talking about experience with other leaders. Yes Joe, tell us what we should do in Syria. Arm moderate rebels to overthrow Assad maybe? I think Gabbard's gonna rip him a new one if Syria comes up, God I hope somebody up there has the balls to confront Biden about his 'expertise' on Syria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom