1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Nov 13, 2018.

1. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

Wow you guys are such nerds. Of course, Trump did not singlehandedly orchestrate this era. I just named it as such because we don't have a name for it yet. "Post-truth society"? Or maybe "nothing even makes sense anymore"? Whatever it is, Trump is a symptom most widely associated with it.

I refuse, however, to believe in some conspiracies that the system it is today was shaped by some political masterminds because no one is that smart, and people generally can't predict the technological advances or social movements decades in advance. Surely, the Republicans have been working really hard to get richer, while making everyone else poorer, but so did the Democrats. What we have now is a combination of failed neoliberal policies, which, I am sure, some politicians earnestly believed would be good for our society, massive exchange of knowledge, opinions, and fake news over the Internet (NO ONE could foresee this 40 years ago tbh), and a social transformation brought about the inexorable climate apocalypse, people fighting against oppressions, and a bunch of other stuff.

Unfortunately, I am not such as eloquent as @Owen Glyndwr, and, frankly, I am too old to be writing big posts on Internet forums. So here is a video by Contrapoints, where she, among other things, sharply points out how Trump is a "poor people's idea of what rich people are" (which makes him relatable—what Owen was saying), but also posits that we are entering a new time of American aesthetics and transformation of the acceptable. And I am going to bed, thank you very much gorg.

PS: sksksksk and i oop and i oop

Kaitzilla and mitsho like this.
  2. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

He's also an idiot's idea of what an intelligent person looks like and a weak person's idea of what a strong one looks like, they say.

The part of your post I'd argue against is where you say that neoliberal policies have failed. They have succeeded. It's just that people somehow thought that they, individually, would be the ones to come out on top.
    They were neoconservative, i.e. they sought to undo the New Deal, destroy social housing, public healthcare, public transportation and energy sources other than fossil fuels. A return to the gilded age in which price and worth were synonymous.

Socrates99 likes this.
  3. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Some did. It did have their genuine believers though.

Neo liberal ideas started to gain ground in the 70s which had stagflation etc. It was seen as a solution to that.

Reform was needed they took it to far and/or not in the wrong direction.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Yes, such as taking advantage of the situation to discourage alternative sources of energy which were already known by the time.

5. Narz

Narz keeping it real

6. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Moderator Action: As a general reminder, always provide context for each video you post in a non-video thread. People cannot be expected to watch a video simply because it is posted.

7. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

Ok so is tulsi a Russian agent? Will she run as an independent? Is Hillary nuts?

8. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

No, no maybe.

bernie14 likes this.
  9. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I saw that today and rolled my eyes but mainly just because I wish she would be quiet. The accuracy of her statement is yet to be seen and I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on it. Tulsi has been a bit erratic from my PoV.

bernie14 likes this.
  10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

What happened? What did she say?

11. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Yang is the candidate most serious & unapologetic about decriminalizing drugs.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2019
  12. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ians-will-back-tulsi-gabbard-third-party-bid/

“They’re also going to do third-party again,” Clinton said. “I’m not making any predictions, but I think they’ve got their eye on someone who’s currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate. She’s the favorite of the Russians. They have a bunch of sites and bots and other ways of supporting her so far.”

At another point in the interview, Clinton wagered that Russia does in fact have some compromising material on Trump, suggesting that’s why so many of Trump’s decisions have erred in a pro-Russian direction.

“I don’t know what Putin has on him, whether it’s both personal and financial,” Clinton said. “I assume it is.”

Idk about the Gabbard thing but yea I still buy the Putin thing on Trump.

13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

This is not helpful to anyone but the conspiracy-fueled right and the media that profits from giving them airtime.

bernie14 and Estebonrober like this.
  14. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Let's say Trump is impeached and removed from office :dance:, who would they run?

15. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Yea it sounds conspiratorial and she is the worst mouthpiece for the left possible. Frankly be she is not even left anyways.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Ted Cruz!

17. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

John Kasich. He just came out in favor of impeachment. I can't remember if he's mounting a third party campaign, but he's well liked with some level of national recognition and is not really seen as a rightwing extremist. I don't follow him, so I don't know if that perception is true or not.

The rest of the GOP hate his guts. He's seen as a phony opportunist, a bit of a dimwit and an obtuse obstructionist extraordinaire.

18. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

Romney seems to be trying to slither into the spotlight. ..

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

He's damaged goods but I could see him being put on the ticket.

20. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Ted Cruz was tongue and cheek, he is truly loathed

hobbsyoyo likes this.