1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Jesse White seems a fine public servant.

Bernie could be worse, like the current president is.

rah likes this.
  2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Too early to say that. Prior to the first primaries the "obscure" candidates don't have enough name recognition to score in polling. But if he manages a strong showing in one or more early primaries the name recognition will come.

You are atypical, so an obvious exception to my comment...as always.

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Even assuming such (which seems unlikely to me), you can't be nominated if you are polling near zero with black people and "hispanics".

4. Timsup2nothin

Look at preliminary polling for Bill Clinton in 1991. Look at preliminary polling for Jimmy Carter in 1975. They were both total unknowns outside the core of the Democratic party. Southern state governors with no national profile at all. If Clinton hadn't pulled off "a miracle" in New Hampshire his campaign was over.

5. Farm Boy

That's a cop out. You must keep bad company.

6. Timsup2nothin

You think you are typical Republican material? My friend, the Antelope Valley Republican League would hang you from the nearest tree if you showed up at one of their meetings. They hate me more than they hate the average Democrat because I claim (falsely, in their estimation) that I used to be a Republican, and they pile betrayal on with the usual Democrat venom. Someone like you, a current Republican that has more to say to liberals than "I hate you and hope you die"? Man, they would be driven into an instant frenzy. They won't let me in the door because I'm not a registered Republican, but a Republican that doesn't share their hatred could get in the door, so would be considered a treasonous spy and treated accordingly.

In California the GOP has undergone an intense winnowing process, and only the "true believers" are still a part of it...and what they believe in most is hatred for the majority that "persecutes them."

Estebonrober likes this.
  7. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I second this sentiment. One shouldn't vote for a continuing evil because they benefit from it, especially once they realize its evil nature.

8. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

In fairness, @Farm Boy's comments are so cryptic Republicans may just walk away slowly, attempting to hide their utter bafflement.

rah and Phrossack like this.
  9. Farm Boy

You keep bad company. Lipinski is also largely tolerable, he doesn't get run against. The people that take the Nazi that wrote in against him as a sign of anything other than what you've been asking to find? Also bad company.

Maybe California sucks worse than I thought, if I take your word on it? It's ******* housing in pretty decent swaths of other states now.

10. Timsup2nothin

You underestimate my local Republicans. They would very likely be totally baffled, but their response to being baffled is "not one of us, so enemy."

11. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

At what point is that not California's fault but actually Capitalism's fault?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  12. Farm Boy

It's not an or. People make the system.

Estebonrober likes this.
  13. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

I think it's always some variation of strangling and squeezing people is fun, and this pool of blood i collected makes me really important among vampire squids.

14. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

I concur with this, I've met many liberals who fight against rezoning the areas they live in, because they know it will bring their values down. I try to remind them that that down turn is temporary. My children are poor compared to the people around them, yet they score 93-99th% on national testing.

That is because I care. That is because my family puts a premium on knowledge. If we work on high density; high knowledge kids the planet will only prosper.

Azem.Ocram likes this.
  15. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Most of those are positives (especially the last three) with alot of people and neutral with most.

Also she's super pale (not that it matters, 2008 & 2012 proves that the majority of Americans don't care about skin-tone).

16. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Hawks4life

This one in particular is negligable IMO. A solid majority of people who wouldn't vote for her just for being a woman are the sort of people who wouldn't vote Democrat in general. OTOH I know for a fact that there are some independents and even conservatives (especially female ones) who will vote her just because "it's time we had a female president."

I'm not saying I'm against that per say, but the disadvantage of being female to run for president these days is way overblown.

Narz likes this.
  17. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Yes, they are positives with me, but that does not deter from the fact that in many respects I am a deviation from the norm.

Also, as I keep saying, unfortunately in the US public opinion is not the same as the electorate's opinion. :(

18. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Health insurance isn't a real job, real jobs provide value and service to their community. Tell your friends to get a job.

Azem.Ocram likes this.
  19. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Government jobs can be real jobs. Some services are kinda important, look at Russia for an example of low tax low regulations with collaping infrastructure outside of two cites.

Those wages the government pays also gets spent in the local communities vs tax cuts for billionaire's. Military spending for example can also be good for the same reasons but corporations like Lockheed abuse it.

20. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

I don't disagree, Zardnaar. But military spending can almost always be spent on other, better things.