2020 US Election (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not the only one who feels that way. In fact, most American would feel that way and were not called the Exhausted Majority for nothing. I'd encourage you to take a read of The Hidden Tribes of America, it's quite an interesting and an eye opener why I feel politically homeless.

Honestly it just feels like America is finding their labels. Which I feel is a great thing. I'm the '8 percent' political activist. The only problem is that the structure of the system hasn't caught up, and it won't as long as FPTP Two-party systems hold out. At the very least, you need *actual* big-tent coalition parties to get a 'voice', and beyond that, multiple parties.

The rest of the first world orbits around, but is not chained to, two parties; it's not the end of the world if we also change. While some gritting of teeth has to be done and working-together with the furthest reaches of the same side is to be expected to facilitate change, once that is done the change should come rapidly and we all go our separate ways.

Last edited:
Putin is the only national leader in the world that sometimes feels like a Vetinari type to me.
How much does Russia Today pay you again?

Nah, to american political comes close. Putin is the only national leader in the world that sometimes feels like a Vetinari type to me. Macron really wants to be but is far too inexperienced and it shows.

I can see it, actually. "Assassins' Guild" and KGB are close enough in spirit, controlling crime by organizing it, always knowing EVERYTHING that happens internally, and playing four steps ahead of everyone else.

I despise the man, but that doesn't preclude me from thinking he's done a very effective job both internally and externally with Russia; while he's harshly suppressing dissent and assassinating traitors (er, ex-spies) in hideous ways, I'm not aware of any large-scale human rights violations such as we see from the rest of the usual suspects lately.

I can see it, actually. "Assassins' Guild" and KGB are close enough in spirit, controlling crime by organizing it, always knowing EVERYTHING that happens internally, and playing four steps ahead of everyone else.

I despise the man, but that doesn't preclude me from thinking he's done a very effective job both internally and externally with Russia; while he's harshly suppressing dissent and assassinating traitors (er, ex-spies) in hideous ways, I'm not aware of any large-scale human rights violations such as we see from the rest of the usual suspects lately.

Large scale human rights violations are bad for business in these kleptocracies. The real crime is the suppression of the people's opportunities. On top of all the fraud and general mafia like crime these types of governments make standard.

As I see Vetinari, he's a man playing three-dimensional chess with people, is relying on a large network of informants and has little to no actual political convictions. He's a bit of a technocrat, doing what the experts or science says is best for his city of Ankh-Morpork. He doesn't shy away from doing back-channel missions while at the same time doing open diplomacy.

That does fit Putin, way more than Bloomberg, of whom I don't really know much.

Back from literary review to politics, does the election now finally start after more than a year of election coverage already? Man, your american elections take time...

That ‘other’ is pretty much confirmed Sanders, right?

I'm sure it also includes 3% for Yang and 3% for Gabbard, unless she dropped out already? Haven't heard anything from Tulsi in a bit

I'm sure it also includes 3% for Yang and 3% for Gabbard, unless she dropped out already? Haven't heard anything from Tulsi in a bit

Gabbard is in till the bitter end - and it will be very bitter indeed, as she's pissed off the DNC pretty comprehensively.

The so called cable news stations are beyond redemption. Best part is, they think, everyone is so stupid to believe them. The way they smeared Bernie after the ridiculous sexist accusations, the way they try to ignore him only makes people's disgust get worse. I mean, they even call Bernie an anti-semite, I mean, really?

The good thing is, there are so many good alternatives online these days, who needs CNN and likes.

The so called cable news stations are beyond redemption. Best part is, they think, everyone is so stupid to believe them. The way they smeared Bernie after the ridiculous sexist accusations, the way they try to ignore him only makes people's disgust get worse. I mean, they even call Bernie an anti-semite, I mean, really?

The good thing is, there are so many good alternatives online these days, who needs CNN and likes.

I'm reminded of the era when the printing press really started becoming ubiquitous. This is an age that should in the long run promote social justice just like the proliferation of the printing press in the era before it. Of course the counter point is that same era eventually lead to some pretty bad reactionary movements as well. Interesting times amiright?

I'm reminded of the era when the printing press really started becoming ubiquitous. This is an age that should in the long run promote social justice just like the proliferation of the printing press in the era before it. Of course the counter point is that same era eventually lead to some pretty bad reactionary movements as well. Interesting times amiright?

Any technology can be used for good or ill. I'm reminded of Hearst and the 'yellow press' helping to push the US into the Spanish-American War after USS Maine went down.

Any technology can be used for good or ill. I'm reminded of Hearst and the 'yellow press' helping to push the US into the Spanish-American War after USS Maine went down.

Being a natural optimist (most of the time) I like to think of this in terms of the abolitionist movement and worker's movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom