2020 US Election (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

They'll include not just one but three candidates at 6% and completely fail to mention Sanders

consent: manufactured
It's hard to believe that is a real poll, since it appears that Sanders, a major candidate, was simply excluded from the choices and indeed is who accounts for the lion's share of that 33% plurality that was attributed to "other". But assuming that this screenshot is legit, the poll wouldn't be credible and would show obvious anti-Sanders bias. There's no way that could be an oversight.
Gabbard is in till the bitter end
Really? You think so? Why??

Sorry, i dont equate "global" with "western industrialized nations", especially if you are excluding the US.
Well, even non Western countries have UHC so I wasn't even specifically talking about westernized countries.
The so called cable news stations are beyond redemption. Best part is, they think, everyone is so stupid to believe them. The way they smeared Bernie after the ridiculous sexist accusations, the way they try to ignore him only makes people's disgust get worse. I mean, they even call Bernie an anti-semite, I mean, really?

The good thing is, there are so many good alternatives online these days, who needs CNN and likes.
This bugs me so much. If someone like Bernie is labeled a sexist anti semite how are those labels ever supposed to hold any weight when applied to actual sexists or anti semites? Half the reason Trump's been immune to criticism of his sexism is because many of the same people pointing their finger at him are the dopes that pushed the Bernie Bro (and even the Obama Boy) narrative.

Really? You think so? Why??

Btw, speaking of Hellary :)

She says that "nobody likes Bernie". I suppose she was never in touch with how the public views her, but this is too much.
Only surprise is that she fails to realize that she is toxic material and will sink anyone she speaks favorably about...

Last edited:
Well, even non Western countries have UHC so I wasn't even specifically talking about westernized countries.
This bugs me so much. If someone like Bernie is labeled a sexist anti semite how are those labels ever supposed to hold any weight when applied to actual sexists or anti semites? Half the reason Trump's been immune to criticism of his sexism is because many of the same people pointing their finger at him are the dopes that pushed the Bernie Bro (and even the Obama Boy) narrative.
This is the problem w/ overuse of sexist, racist, blah blah blah, they lose all meaning & people just start to ignore all the wolf criers.

She says that "nobody likes Bernie". I suppose she was never in touch with how the public views her, but this is too much.
Only surprise is that she fails to realize that she is toxic material and will sink anyone she speaks favorably about...
Lol, Hillary isn't really one to talk about likability.

This is the problem w/ overuse of sexist, racist, blah blah blah, they lose all meaning & people just start to ignore all the wolf criers.
Add on top of the heap of the list is Nazi, Fascist, homophobe and transphobe.

I agree wholeheartedly, the words are being over used to the point where I’d just roll my eyes since the words are so far devorced from the original definitions that all of these words are just used as a form of a pejorative to roughly mean “I disagree with you and label you as such just to cancel you by labeling you as x”.

The whole crying wolf has caused most of us wanting to just tell these people to shut up cause they’re sick and tired of hearing it and being insulted. Which is a real shame cause if there’s actual sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. No one is going to believe it and just assume you’re just crying wolf and just disagree with the person.

"Most of us"? It's generally better to speak for oneself, you know.

Thus spake Arakhor. *stirring music*

Add on top of the heap of the list is Nazi, Fascist, homophobe and transphobe.

I agree wholeheartedly, the words are being over used to the point where I’d just roll my eyes since the words are so far devorced from the original definitions that all of these words are just used as a form of a pejorative to roughly mean “I disagree with you and label you as such just to cancel you by labeling you as x”.

The whole crying wolf has caused most of us wanting to just tell these people to shut up cause they’re sick and tired of hearing it and being insulted. Which is a real shame cause if there’s actual sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. No one is going to believe it and just assume you’re just crying wolf and just disagree with the person.
Bernie being called an antisemite is something that can be laughably rejected by the public record. The other things you're complaining about are often far less so. The thing is, antisemitism is an allegation levelled by right-leaning figures and media channels, often at left-of-centre figures for no other reason than ideological opposition. Homophobia and transphobia? Less so, because it'd mean these figures would have to admit such discrimination is wide-ranging enough to be a thing (and certainly, for transphobia, you'll rarely see it raised as a serious concern by right-leaning folks).

Clinton did an interview recently where she criticized Bernie for not being liked by any of his colleagues and that this keeps him from actually acting on his agenda. I wish she'd go away.

Last edited:

Yes, and it's disheartening to see "believe women" cynically weaponized for political gain.

Clinton did an interview recently where she criticized Bernie for not being liked by any of his colleagues and that this keeps him from actually acting on his agenda. I wish she'd go away.

If I said she might have a point, would that make me a stooge for the DNC? I still think she shouldn't have said it and wish she would get out of the limelight because she does way more harm than good. But it does seem to me that while his message resonates with voters, it doesn't seem to resonate with most of the members of Congress.

Last edited:
If I said she might have a point, would that make me a stooge for the DNC? I still think she shouldn't have said it and would get out of the limelight because she does way more harm than good. But it does seem to me that while his message resonates with voters, it doesn't seem to resonate with most of the members of Congress.

Well, to the extent that Bernie's message "doesn't resonate with members of Congress" it's because Congress is comprised mostly of gross little invertebrates who would be selling used cars if the US political system hadn't been reduced to a hollow shell by the capitalist class.

It's simply a lie that Bernie has gotten nothing done, a lie that he hasn't been able to work with anyone in Congress. Clinton can say "no one likes" Bernie because she runs with people like Harvey Weinstein and Jeffrey Epstein. I'm perfectly willing to believe that no one in Clinton's circle likes Bernie. As FDR said many years ago, "I welcome their hatred." If Bernie weren't pissing people like Clinton and her friends off, he wouldn't be worth supporting.

The message won't "resonate" with members of congress until they start to fear their own constituents or are replaced by more progressive candidates.

The idea that sitting members of Congress don't want to work with Bernie is a tautology because, regardless of what they claim on the campaign trail, they don't support his agenda.

edit - Got sniped by Lexicus :(

It's a horribly stupid slogan anyway.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/01/15/politics-believing-women

Believing women means starting from a context where women are not liars. It means entering a conversation from a place of kindness and acceptance, and knowing that there is no harm in listening to someone's story with compassion. In a way, it's not very different from how you'd expect to enter most conversations with someone who you have no reason to distrust. It means protecting vulnerable and marginalized women who are most likely to be impacted by a system that consistently attacks, discredits, and harms them. The need for "believe women" as a political slogan came about because of the fact that in situations where women are victimized, they are typically first addressed with suspicion. You should not have to prove that you are not a liar as a prerequisite for discussing your trauma or asking for assistance.

So who needs to believe women? We need emergency and crisis workers to believe women and give them the care they need. We need law enforcement to believe women and investigate the crimes they report. We need our friends and family to believe us when we tell them we have been victimized. We need our peers to believe us when we say someone has violated our boundaries. Sadly, like the #metoo movement itself, the slogan has been distorted and repurposed by privileged liberal feminists. We need this language to describe actual instances of abuse, actual emergencies. In a context where minor disagreements are labeled sexual assault, we lose that language. As Sarah Schulman explains in Conflict is Not Abuse, "rhetorical devices that hide details keep truth from being known and faced." When everything is an emergency, nothing is.

Here's the truth: I don't care if Elizabeth Warren is believed about Bernie Sanders saying a woman couldn't be president. I don't care if a rich white woman has an equal peer tell her something that might be slightly bothersome depending on the context. It's not news, it's certainly not relevant to a presidential election, and it's absolutely not abuse or sexual assault. I do care about victims being believed and getting the support they need, and I care about perverting the language used to empower victims to seek that support. The people engaging in these theatrics care about winning. They care about controlling conversations and selling books. They don't care about women.

Well... no one was, actually, until you brought her up... at least not for the page or so before you posted this... but that never stops you from bringing her up anyway so... knock yourself out champ ;)

You don't have to speak in her defense either, but don't let self-importance end anytime soon :)

Well, to the extent that Bernie's message "doesn't resonate with members of Congress" it's because Congress is comprised mostly of gross little invertebrates who would be selling used cars if the US political system hadn't been reduced to a hollow shell by the capitalist class.
Way to go there. Insulting a whole industry of hard working people. ;)

You don't have to speak in her defense either
Here's a thought exercise for you, try to find the last post of mine where I did so and make a note of the date... then see if you are able to reevaluate the false equivalence you're making between you and I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom