1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

You also said it "reeks of self-pity", which is a value judgement on your behalf. I'm not particularly interested in any of that. I was only interested in the fact that you thought "I was frisked" was a fair reply to "this is blatantly unconstitutional". cardgame wasn't debating how much it sucked at that point, right? They explicitly made an argument to the rights of US citizens, which you didn't engage with. That's what I called out.

2. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Stop and frisk was bad policy instituted for good reasons. :hammer2:

Trump University and the Trump Family Trust were scams instituted by crooks. :evil:

GenMarshall likes this.
  3. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

It was not a reply to blatantly unconstitutional. It was a justification of my previous post that the article was hyperbolic, silly, and self-pitying. Stop and frisk is not slavery.

4. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

You're accusing him of being a psychopath because he made what you regard as a hyperbolic statement? That seems pretty hyperbolic to me.

5. luiz

I said only a pyscopath would really consider killing his own children to spare them the horrors of stop and frisk. I charitably took it as silly hyperbole by the author, and not a real sign of psycopathy.

6. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It's like we've forgotten when Henry Louis Gates (a prominent historian who is black) was arrested on his own front porch and the media (all sides) pushed Obama to respond to it like it was his personal problem to fix. It resulted in the 'beer summit' which everyone crapped on him for.

That was just a prominent example of this happening...it happens a lot more but we don't hear about it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Cloud_Strife likes this.
  7. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Attitudes such as luiz's is exactly the reason society has yet to deal with this issue; continuously labelling any attempt to bring it up or reference it as being negative.

8. luiz

Nah you can bring it up without comparing it to slavery and contemplating whether killing your kids would be a good move.

9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Bloomberg on the debates should be 'interesting'. I think it is a lose-lose for him. That said, he seems to only be running as he would as independent in 2016, only to stop Bernie (and save himself countless billions in taxes).

Furthermore, could he be less prepared to respond to what he should have known he would be asked about? ...

10. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Given the school to prison pipeline that exists and the labor that is extracted from those imprisoned, I think the comparisons to slavery are a lot more salient than you'd care to admit, especially given the disproportionate punishment of non whites.

If I had kids I'd be worried about them entering a system that prioritizes wealth and profit over addressing the systemic issues plaguing society.

Kyriakos likes this.
  11. Kyriakos

Back in 2008, a famous black comedian (I tried to google his name... he was a friend of Richard Pryor; I recall he was tied to the Apollo theatre and even tried to defend that loser Kramer, using his own fame and standing in the black community) publicly supported Hillary, saying that Obama isn't that black. I mean, there's no need to see racism everywhere, bro :)

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I remember this joke about the sexual habits of Greece that I've always thought was funny, but too rude to use generally. Good to know that since I heard a comedian say it it is actually perfectly good for regular social discourse.

hobbsyoyo and Sommerswerd like this.
  13. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

It may have died out around 2015 in NYC, but it is still going strong in Australia.

I was reading that New South Wales has a yearly quota for police to perform 241,000 frisk/strip searches and 106,000 move-along orders.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...arch-quota-revealed-in-foi-documents/11960682

They also are required to hand out 8 traffic tickets per shift.

The Greeks are great.
    They invented most everything worth remembering.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius

I still use "Dog Days of Summer" and had no idea why until today.

It's because of the Dog Star Sirius and the Greeks.

Kyriakos likes this.
  14. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Which of course is nothing like what the article said, but by misreading that into it you get to be dismissive about the article so I can certainly see why you would want to misread it that badly.

Anyone looking for an actual TL;DR of the article:

Black people in the US are not as upset about Bloomberg screwing them over and then hiding behind "but it was for their own good" as you might think they should be, because from their perspective that's just so typical of white people and always has been that calling him out individually seems kinda silly.

Cloud_Strife likes this.
  15. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Bloomberg has already evolved on this issue since 5 years ago.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/13/bloomberg-stop-and-frisk-114755

Democrats are good at evolving.

16. Kyriakos

Not our fault that the US is so homophobic :jesus:

17. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Agreed. Now who's fault is it that you continue to use, and try to defend using, a phrase that is widely considered offensive?

hobbsyoyo and Sommerswerd like this.
  18. Kyriakos

My only error was thinking that trying to show how it wasn't used offensively, would signify it isn't itself offensive. Anyway, I don't play by US rules, this is the internet.
    By the way, the claim by that prominent black comedian wasn't said as part of a comedy routine, but in political interviews - likely to CNN - in the 2008 campaign.

19. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Could he be out of touch?

No, it's the PoC living in America that are wrong

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

The article is not suggesting that stop and frisk is equivalent to slavery nor that killing one's children would be an appropriate response to stop and frisk.