2020 US Election (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that the other candidate then proceeded to lose the Presidency to Donald Trump, do you really want to go there?

Has no bearing on my point. My point is about "dem voters." Thinking that Bernie best represents "dem voters" totally ignores a large bloc of very loyal "dem voters," who when presented with Bernie or another choice, picked the other choice.

I only get defensive when you indulge your hate-boner for the guy to the point that you (unintentionally, I am sure) boost the narrative that racial justice and economic justice are somehow in tension.

Oh please, I said and believe no such thing, and my comments don't boost that view at all. Bernie's vision is explicitly color-blind. That IN NO WAY implies that there is any tension. It just means he understands the problem wrong, or very incompletely.

I didn't know that, maybe its better for the Dems if The Rock gathers moss so they can run against Trump
Duane Johnson would crush anyone currently in the Democratic field, both electorally as well as physically. So in terms of hoping for a Democratic win, I'd rather Johnson stays out of it. But if he were the best option in terms of getting rid of Trump, I'd be smellin' what the Rock is cookin'.

Oh please, I said and believe no such thing, and my comments don't boost that view at all. Bernie's vision is explicitly color-blind. That IN NO WAY implies that there is any tension. It just means he understands the problem wrong, or very incompletely.

I would say that, even if he is 'colorblind' (which I don't believe is actually the case), he still understands the problem better than the people who cynically floated "Wall Street didn't gun down young black men" as a talking point...

Duane Johnson would crush anyone currently in the Democratic field, both electorally as well as physically. So in terms of hoping for a Democratic win, I'd rather Johnson stays out of it. But if he were the best option in terms of getting rid of Trump, I'd be smellin' what the Rock is cookin'.

This is true and possibly the most depressing thing I've read all day.

I would say that, even if he is 'colorblind' (which I don't believe is actually the case), he still understands the problem better than the people who cynically floated "Wall Street didn't gun down young black men" as a talking point...

Fine. But I didn't say that, did I?

A large part of my "hate boner," if you want to call it that, was borne out of Bernie showing up to my city, and injecting himself into a debate on the side of large corporations and against poor minority populations in opposing a beverage tax to pay for new and upgraded rec centers and universal pre-K. Also a big reason why I don't trust the way he approaches things. Do his interests really lie with providing better services for poor people, particularly of color? They didn't in that case.

The Democratic primary is going to crash headlong into the exciting new candidate v. practical "consensus" candidate... again.

I think that against Trump we would do better with someone exciting, particularly to the less motivated voters. I mean I'm voting regardless, so maybe it isn't that essential that I find the candidate exciting enough to motivate me to the polls... but from what I'm hearing here, I'm a little bummed... cause it does not seem like my Democratic voting peeps are excited about anyone... Houston we may have a problem :sad:

Fine. But I didn't say that, did I?

It is certainly the subtext of what you are saying.

A large part of my "hate boner," if you want to call it that, was borne out of Bernie showing up to my city, and injecting himself into a debate on the side of large corporations and against poor minority populations in opposing a beverage tax to pay for new and upgraded rec centers and universal pre-K. Also a big reason why I don't trust the way he approaches things. Do his interests really lie with providing better services for poor people, particularly of color? They didn't in that case.

So you think that because he disagreed with you on the beverage tax (which, incidentally, I do as well), his entire career is a lie?

I only get defensive when you indulge your hate-boner for the guy to the point that you (unintentionally, I am sure) boost the narrative that racial justice and economic justice are somehow in tension.
Racial justice and economic justice are in tension with justice.

What about if Bernie is the nominee? Just curious.

Sommer has properly answered for me. He'd be infinitely better than the present occupant of the White House, so I would gladly support him if he emerges as the Democratic nominee and the choice effectively comes down, as it would at that point, to him or four more years of Donald Trump.

I saw an "Any Functioning Adult 2020" bumper sticker the other day. Yeah, I might go that far, I thought.

Last edited:
I don't see anyone I really like, but that is not unusual. My viewpoint is unconventional. I like Bernie but think he's a hopeless dreamer. I think Warren shot her foot completely off. The Democratic party is in the midst of a generational transition, not unlike the Republicans of a decade ago. At the moment it looks like the old guard has one last hurrah, which is as doomed as the candidate in the book of that name. Of the young guard, I only know Beto O'Roark and consider him a vapid twit.

On the other side, there is only Trump if he runs and Cruz if he doesn't. Choose your poison.

J

Can I choose poison?

I don't see anyone I really like, but that is not unusual. My viewpoint is unconventional. I like Bernie but think he's a hopeless dreamer. I think Warren shot her foot completely off. The Democratic party is in the midst of a generational transition, not unlike the Republicans of a decade ago. At the moment it looks like the old guard has one last hurrah, which is as doomed as the candidate in the book of that name. Of the young guard, I only know Beto O'Roark and consider him a vapid twit.
This viewpoint isn't unconventional, at all, in fact, its pretty bog-standard for a particular wide segment of voters. I'll leave it at that.
On the other side, there is only Trump if he runs and Cruz if he doesn't. Choose your poison.
First of all I can't see how you expect to ask anyone to pick a Republican when you won't pick a Democrat... you haven't "picked your poison" so you don't have any standing in good faith to demand others do. Second, as I've said, I don't have to choose between Cruz and Trump because the Republican primary is going to be doing the choosing, and I won't be participating in that... I've got enough to worry about with the Democratic primary.

Are you a Sicilian?

It's telling that your avatar wears a brown shirt.
About the first thing... I was thinking it was the Greeks who do that:think: @Kyriakos ? Any thoughts?

About the second thing... hahaha I was thinking the same... in fact I think its clear that Civ 1 had exactly this in mind when they drew that "military advisory"... but I didn't want to say... cause I'm such a super-nice-guy ;)

About the second thing... hahaha I was thinking the same... in fact I think its clear that Civ 1 had exactly this in mind when they drew that "military advisory"... but I didn't want to say... cause I'm such a super-nice-guy ;)

It's weird, doesn't look like a military man at all, it looks like a douchebag fat cop

It's weird, doesn't look like a military man at all, it looks like a douchebag fat cop
I think the unsubtle message they were going for was "Police State" where the military and police are the same thing. He's the "Domestic Advisor" in Despotism.

This viewpoint isn't unconventional, at all, in fact, its pretty bog-standard for a particular wide segment of voters. I'll leave it at that. First of all I can't see how you expect to ask anyone to pick a Republican when you won't pick a Democrat... you haven't "picked your poison" so you don't have any standing in good faith to demand others do. Second, as I've said, I don't have to choose between Cruz and Trump because the Republican primary is going to be doing the choosing, and I won't be participating in that... I've got enough to worry about with the Democratic primary.
You are asking to pick the Super Bowl teams before the draft. Have some patience.

One point of clarification. The choice of poisons is which Republican will beat the sacrificial Democrat. If Trump runs, he will be re-elected. If not, Ted Cruz will become the next President. No one currently in the Democratic conversation is showing the stuff to make a race of it. And don't tell me about Beto. Cruz gave him a handicap and still beat him.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom