2024 Election: 2023 Edition

Birdjaguar

Hanafubuki
Super Moderator
Supporter
Time to focus our US political news.

Opinion: The move that’s sure to elect Trump in 2024​

Editor’s Note: Paul Begala, a Democratic strategist and CNN political commentator, was a political consultant for Bill Clinton’s presidential campaign in 1992 and served as a counselor to Clinton in the White House. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his. View more opinion articles on CNN.

CNN —
As he was planning his 2000 third-party bid for the presidency, Ralph Nader asked me to meet with him. Nader strongly believed that he could launch a viable Green Party, seizing at least 5% of the national vote, which would qualify the Greens for federal matching funds, and begin to erode what he called “the two-party duopoly.”

“I’m not sure if you can do that,” I told Nader. “But I am sure of this: If you succeed, you’ll elect George W. Bush.” Nader vehemently disagreed. He thought that then-Vice President Al Gore would still have enough votes to win comfortably, and he wanted to pull him to the left.

I failed to dissuade Nader, obviously. The rest, as they say, is history. Bush was credited with a win in Florida by just 537 votes. Nader received 97,488 votes in Florida.

@Birdjaguar "those trans people want to groom your kids" is a better line than than "hey we want to jack up your taxes so that Sheldon Adelson can afford two islands full of child slaves"
That may work for the Q crowd, but I don't think it will go mainstream.

That may work for the Q crowd, but I don't think it will go mainstream.

Yeah, I mean, like I said, I don't think they have a shot of winning a majority of voters over with this rhetoric.

That's not to say they can't win elections - they can, and if they do then we'll see what we have to do to protect our trans homies.

My 2024 election expectation is that it will not include either Trump nor Biden.

The rhetoric can change. Trump made his "should have kept the oil" speech at CPAC, and was able to pivot from that to a win.

@Birdjaguar "those trans people want to groom your kids" is a better line than than "hey we want to jack up your taxes so that Sheldon Adelson can afford two islands full of child slaves"
:lol: child slavery is thriving thanks to Biden and the cartels

These are not children who have stolen into the country undetected. The federal government knows they are in the United States, and the Department of Health and Human Services is responsible for ensuring sponsors will support them and protect them from trafficking or exploitation.

But as more and more children have arrived, the Biden White House has ramped up demands on staffers to move the children quickly out of shelters and release them to adults. Caseworkers say they rush through vetting sponsors.

While H.H.S. checks on all minors by calling them a month after they begin living with their sponsors, data obtained by The Times showed that over the last two years, the agency could not reach more than 85,000 children. Overall, the agency lost immediate contact with a third of migrant children.

Last edited:
:lol: child slavery is thriving thanks to Biden and the cartels

These are not children who have stolen into the country undetected. The federal government knows they are in the United States, and the Department of Health and Human Services is responsible for ensuring sponsors will support them and protect them from trafficking or exploitation.

But as more and more children have arrived, the Biden White House has ramped up demands on staffers to move the children quickly out of shelters and release them to adults. Caseworkers say they rush through vetting sponsors.

While H.H.S. checks on all minors by calling them a month after they begin living with their sponsors, data obtained by The Times showed that over the last two years, the agency could not reach more than 85,000 children. Overall, the agency lost immediate contact with a third of migrant children.
You should read the articles you post before making claims about them. US corporations are hiring those kids; guardians of those kids are sending them out to work. Given that you seem to be arguing for more federal regulations and enforcement which Trump spent 4 years undoing. As it has always been with regard to hiring of illegal immigrants: it is the US companies that exploit them, not the federal government.

Children have crossed the Southern border on their own for decades, and since 2008, the United States has allowed non-Mexican minors to live with sponsors while they go through immigration proceedings, which can take several years. The policy, codified in anti-trafficking legislation, is intended to prevent harm to children who would otherwise be turned away and left alone in a Mexican border town. When Kelsey Keswani first worked as an H.H.S. contractor in Arizona to connect unaccompanied migrant children with sponsors in 2010, the adults were almost always the children’s parents, who had paid smugglers to bring them up from Central America, she said.

But around 2014, the number of arriving children began to climb, and their circumstances were different. In recent years, “the kids almost all have a debt to pay off, and they’re super stressed about it,” Ms. Keswani said. She began to see more failures in the vetting process. “There were so many cases where sponsors had sponsored multiple kids, and it wasn’t getting caught. So many red flags with debt. So many reports of trafficking.”

Now, just a third of migrant children are going to their parents. A majority are sent to other relatives, acquaintances or even strangers, a Times analysis of federal data showed. Nearly half are coming from Guatemala, where poverty is fueling a wave of migration. Parents know that they would be turned away at the border or quickly deported, so they send their children in hopes that remittances will come back. In the last two years alone, more than 250,000 children have entered the United States by themselves.

The shifting dynamics in Central America helped create a political crisis early in Mr. Biden’s presidency, when children started crossing the border faster than H.H.S. could process them. With no room left in shelters, the children stayed in jail-like facilities run by Customs and Border Protection and, later, in tent cities. The images of children sleeping on gym mats under foil blankets attracted intense media attention.

Biden is not the problem.

My 2024 election expectation is that it will not include either Trump nor Biden.

But will it include DeSantis? At this point I'm considerably more concerned about him than Trump.

But will it include DeSantis? At this point I'm considerably more concerned about him than Trump.
Too early to tell. He is building his case in Florida and I don't think that is what most Republicans actually want. We'll have to see if he can sell it nationally. I think we are in for a messy six months or so.

As someone from country with somewhat working multi-party democracy, I'll say one thing: US needs more parties ASAP or it really tears itself apart. Violently.

The two-party political system has inherently polarizing effect, made even worse by some US-specific cultural and demographical effects. And it picked up pace in last few decades.The effect also means that the pendulum of power will inevitably swing back to Republicans. Maybe not in 2024, but I suspect that at 2032 latest, you'll get your president DeSantis.

Green Party hurt Democrats because it aimed at Democrat voters. But right now, I suspect there's quite significant pool of moderate conservatives that would appreciate a third option.

A younger than Biden, left leaning, moderate Democrat is needed.

Trump's speech at CPAC

Trump says he won’t drop out of 2024 race if he’s indicted​

Former president Donald Trump said Saturday that he would not drop out of the 2024 presidential race if he were indicted in any of the federal and state investigations he faces.

“I wouldn’t even think about leaving,” Trump told reporters at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland, where attendees named him their favored presidential candidate shortly before he took the stage. Trump is facing a number of investigations that include several criminal inquiries. Prosecutors in Fulton County, Georgia, have been probing the effort by Trump and his allies to overturn Georgia’s 2020 election results, while the US Department of Justice is investigating the attack on the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, as well as Trump’s handling of classified material after he left office.

Trump remains defiant in the face of the ongoing probes and on Saturday argued “they’ve weaponized justice in our country.”

Trump has refused to commit to backing the 2024 Republican nominee if it isn’t him, and on Saturday also said he has not decided whether he would sign the loyalty pledge Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel is requiring of GOP 2024 candidates to participate in the debates.

More here:

A younger than Biden, left leaning, moderate Democrat is needed.

So, Buttigieg?

A 2024 Buttigieg vs Sununu election would be my ideal. DeSantis vs Biden is my nightmare, and Trump vs Harris is my sucks-so-it'll-probably-happen expectation.

Trump's speech at CPAC

Trump says he won’t drop out of 2024 race if he’s indicted​

Former president Donald Trump said Saturday that he would not drop out of the 2024 presidential race if he were indicted in any of the federal and state investigations he faces.

“I wouldn’t even think about leaving,” Trump told reporters at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland, where attendees named him their favored presidential candidate shortly before he took the stage. Trump is facing a number of investigations that include several criminal inquiries. Prosecutors in Fulton County, Georgia, have been probing the effort by Trump and his allies to overturn Georgia’s 2020 election results, while the US Department of Justice is investigating the attack on the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, as well as Trump’s handling of classified material after he left office.

Trump remains defiant in the face of the ongoing probes and on Saturday argued “they’ve weaponized justice in our country.”

Trump has refused to commit to backing the 2024 Republican nominee if it isn’t him, and on Saturday also said he has not decided whether he would sign the loyalty pledge Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel is requiring of GOP 2024 candidates to participate in the debates.

More here:

Trump acting like a bloody messiah.
Will stop the war in Ukraine in a day.
Will save us from world war 3, "that you will get".
Nato should match the U.S. dollar for dollar in Ukraine, while the U.S. * is part of NATO * !
Who "weaponised justice " ?
FS.

So, Buttigieg?

A 2024 Buttigieg vs Sununu election would be my ideal. DeSantis vs Biden is my nightmare, and Trump vs Harris is my sucks-so-it'll-probably-happen expectation.
No, no, no, and no.

Gavin Newsome or Jamie Raskin

There used to be breaks between elections. :cry:
Never for the House. That's always been never ending even with old fashioned post and papers.

At least we have, generally, a few special few making the most idiotic soundbites and nobody's been beaten on the floor with a stick.

Top Bottom