1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

20k Culture

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Abaddon, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Abaddon

Abaddon Chieftain

Whats the best way to go about this? I'm playing on Chieftan, beaten up every other nation so have built litterally every wonder in my capital.. yet im a bit stuck

Do i progress pass education? Or will I stop getting culture from my wonders than go obsolete?

How on earth do people manage this by 1300AD in the HoF? I'm miles and miles off than yet can't see how they've managed more!? Godlike starting position?

2. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

Unlike CivIV, stopping research doesn't help culture victories. You don't stop getting culture from wonders going obsolete.

One consideration is early on when there are so many wonders to choose from, only put the mega-culture wonders in your 20K city. A wonder that only produces 2 Culture in the AA isn't worth it. You want things like SoZ (On Chieftain that alone guarantees dominating the world) and the Oracle (garbage unless 20K) in your capital. If you try to build every wonder in your capital (I did once) it takes so long to get to the heavy hitting wonders as you try to deny the peanut ones.

Admittedly I haven't gotten 1300AD. HoF needs skill and luck - getting a SGL or two and great starting position.

3. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Get your 20k city to size 12 ASAP once you have a second city out. You want your 20k city (almost always your capital) to have at least 24 shields. Run MapFinder to find a good start. The HoF games generally finished as fast as they did due to early SGLs. For lower levels other than maybe a Mysticism detour you want to get the Republic slingshot, then Literature (maybe Literature before Code of Laws), the Mathematics, try and SGL the Temple of Artemis, and get to Free Artistry as soon as you can without running out of cultural builds. After that go to Industrialization as fast as possible without running out of cultural builds. Try and also short-rush/buy the little library, little temple (usually hand-built), the colosseum, the little cathedral, and the little university. Sometimes you can buy say a courthouse and switch to the colosseum before clicking next turn so you get the colosseum during say a golden age with your capital at 40 shields per turn. I unequivocally recommend scientific tribes.

4. Abaddon

Abaddon Chieftain

What can/can't be built with SGL... I didn't think "big" wonders could be rushed?

My capitols only got 19 shields at size 12 :(

Need to get Map finder me thinks!

5. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Great or small wonders can be built with an SGL. Small wonders can also be rushed with an MGL. Great wonders cannot be rushed with an MGL, except by the AI.

6. Abaddon

Abaddon Chieftain

ah, hence science charge being imparative for popping a SGL.. righty :)

7. Aabraxan

Oh, and I suspect that you know this, but I'll say it anyway: The Scientific Golden Age doesn't work.

8. Spoonwood

9. Abaddon

Abaddon Chieftain

10. Spoonwood

What are your settings like? Don't start a game via quickstart also.

11. Aabraxan

Why not?

12. Spoonwood

For MapFinder starting a game via quickstart doesn't work, I think, because it's programmed to move the tab down a notch on the opening screen.

13. Aabraxan

Oh, yes. I've run across that snag. For some reason, I missed the connection that you meant for Abaddon not to use quick start with Mapfinder. I thought you meant just not to use quick start as a general rule.

14. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

There is a setting in Mapfinder that allows you to use Quickstart. It is a simple checkbox in Setup

15. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

16. Spoonwood

T-Hawk's article has some points which don't fit too well with HoF games. Sanabas has an article also.

17. Abaddon

Abaddon Chieftain

How "broken" is the HOF by the change from MGL being able to rush Wonders?

I am worried I am wasting my time since "back in the day" you would gain such an advantage from MGL's...

18. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

The advantage from a couple of early SGL's far outweighs the advantage from a few mid-game MGL's. This is why MapFinder is so important; you essentially have to bin a 20k HoF attempt if you don't get any leaders from the first couple of techs.

19. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Chieftain

Hardly. Nearly all the good 20K results have been achieved with C3C. There are only a few exceptions where good 20K results (guess whose) come from Vanilla/PTW world games.

20. Abaddon

Abaddon Chieftain

Fair enough. If I can get Mapfinder to work i'll leave it going overnight.. see if it gets me a few. Otherwise this part of the HOF seems too much about luck for my effort.