(23) Proposal: Change how Bonus vs Domain works

Status
Not open for further replies.

azum4roll

Lost the game
It's probably less known that Siege Inaccuracy, Naval Target Penalty and Naval Inaccuracy also affect the units in when defending against attacks from the listed domain. These promotions currently use the UnitPromotions_Domains table which affect both attack and defense against the listed domain. The table is also used by Targeting, Shrapnel Rounds, Air Targeting and Strafing Runs promotions, but it doesn't matter for the latter two as air units never defend against land and sea units.

I propose that these promotions should only affect attack, as the promotion names (Targeting, Inaccuracy, etc.) make people assume that these should only boost ranged attacks, and not also make the units stronger/weaker in defense.

Currently the table only has PromotionType, DomainType, Modifier and PediaType (unused) columns. We should add Attack and Defense columns like the UnitPromotions_UnitClasses table, and change all the above mentioned promotions to use the Attack column instead of Modifier. Promotion descriptions will also be changed to clarify they're for attack only.

Siege unit CS should be reduced by 33% to make them stay in OHKO range by same tier mounted melee units (essentially same behaviour as current).

As a result, siege units will be much more defensive against land ranged units; early ranged ships (Dromon, Galleass) can take some more ranged hits; and the archer line will be more resistant against naval ranged. Taking Targeting promotions will not make naval ranged survive longer against land ranged fire.

Yeah agreed I assumed it was just attack all this time, even though I am familiar with the table your refer to.

I can't recall current state, but at one point both naval ranged and land ranged had these penalties applied nearly symmetrically.. I suppose they were just cancelling each other out?

With proposed change, presumably units could be given separate promos to boost defence or attack vs a domain, ie via mod or further rebalancing, right? This might allow for some fine tuning of existing promo lines.

If implemented, should keep the existing table names to not break any mods that might rely on existing setup.. ie shift the attack modifier effect into the existing field, and create new field for the defensive version

If implemented, should keep the existing table names to not break any mods that might rely on existing setup.. ie shift the attack modifier effect into the existing field, and create new field for the defensive version
The edited table should have Modifier, Attack and Defense columns just like UnitPromotions_UnitClasses.

Sponsored.

Proposal Sponsors: Recursive.

(Sponsors have indicated that they are able and willing to perform the code changes required for this proposal if the community votes Aye on it. Other coders are free to sponsor this as well. A proposal without a sponsor will not advance to the Voting Phase.)

Which is why the CS nerf to siege is also included in this proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom