1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

230AD Fireside Chat - of permanent alliances and expansion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Gingerbread Man, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

There are some things on the agenda for the 5-turnly chat

1) Foreign advisor, we must:
    ---A) Formulate our proposal of a permanent alliance with Apolyton. This will be a full-blown help-each-other-out-till-the-end alliance, with military help in time of invasion, technology sharing and free trade, land division, as well as economically supporting each other.
    ---B) Organise a Triple Alliance (or Triple Entente, depending on your mood) of 'Poly, CFC, and CGN. This will mainly be a trade alliance, where we agree not to trade technologies with our nominated enemies, GCA, and GWT (See next)
    ---C) Decide on our official standing with GWT, whether it be accepting, cautious, opposing or agressive (ie war).

2) Science advisor, we must:
    ---A) Decide whether to start research or not next turn.

3) Domestic advisor, we must:
    ---A) Plan our expansion. remember, we can have two settlers on the island two turns from now.

4) Military Advisor, we must:
    ---A) watch out for what GCA is saying. They have asked for peace. May I urge you to REJECT that offer, and promptly send this in return:
    That's what happened the last time they offered peace, lets return the same.

5) Citizens, we must:
    ---A) Discuss all of this
    ---B) Make your opinion heard. Only if there are widely differing opinions will a vote be worth the effort.

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Well certanly were NOT going to have peace with GCA. I want to see them eliminated from the game.

3. Ankka

Ankka Deity

It would be easier to know what to research if I knew what we have and what deals we have etc...

And no way we would make peace with GCA! They betrayed us!

4. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Here's a strange idea to discuss.

With all of this talk of war weariness, why don't we offer peace for Port Blacksand and removal of their troops from the continent? If they go for it(which I am sure they won't), we can immediately switch to Republic.

After we have peace, we can then go to GWT and tell them about GCAs transgressions.

This is just a hypothetical, but it's worth talking about.

5. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Why do I always have the most work? :p

The big issue with Poly is still that bloody chokepoint.

DZ: I would go with it. Imagine being permanently at war with GCA.:eek:

6. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

No peace with Gamecatcher! We cannot trust them, They are horrible backstabers. I personaly dont trust them.

7. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Super Moderator

It really doesn't matter if they are horrible backstabbers or not. As long as they're off our continent they don't pose any threat to us, but we must verify that all troops have left the continent.

8. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

I would not trust them, they would still have there troops still in place. We must destroy the GCers!

9. Bootstoots

What makes you so sure of that, that they'd still have their troops in place?

10. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

They always lie for one case. Think about it, we clamed that iron source a long time ago and they just snuck in with there solders and raised it.

This may be my personal grudge against GC but I want to see the backstabers be destroyed.

11. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

Zarn - DZ's idea sounds good (Tell them we'll make peace once they're off our continent, then try to convince GWT to kill them). Convincing GWT is a veerry long shot, but who knows, their FA seem to be very stupid.

As for the land grab - Lets start asking poly for some land BEYOND our southern chokepoint. even if we can only build beneath a line drawn directly SE of the Choke. Our section, as it is, is WAY too small.

12. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

DZ has a great idea. Let's do it!

13. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

:rolleyes: Oh great,now we are crawling to GC begging for peace. This wont work, They are stuborn mules.

Note: This is from personal experiance when dealing with the GCers.

14. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

crawling? we are demanding their last city!

15. Ankka

Ankka Deity

Second last. ;)

But I think it's not a good idea, and they wouldnt get their troops outta there anyway. And We have that big stack of troops there, you don't think we and Poly couldn't get rid of them together? The only problem is that we need to either get peace with them or get GWT to destroy them after we take Port Blacksand...

But that's just my humble opinion.

@Zarn- (or whoever knows about the idea Trip told us about a while ago) I think it should be discussed further, because we need to get to know the total plan real fast, so we know what to do on the next turn with our scientific output.

16. Micaelis Rex

Micaelis Rex Prince

Hmm, perhaps I should clarify something. You mission was to eliminate GCA, not to just get them off of our continent. Friendly relations with them while they have a city left is out of the question! We did save you from being invaded, and we did give you many technologies and much of our treasury, in exchange for your friendship and this. You wouldn't backstab old friends now, would you?

I realize that there is the issue of war weariness, and it must be dealt with. I'll speak with what is left of CDG and see if we can come to a resolution on the matter. Until then, no peace, regardless!

CDG Exile to CFC,
    Micaelis Rex

17. Bootstoots

I don't see how allowing them to surrender with their troops removed from our continent would be any worse than defeating them in open combat and staying at war with them despite not being able to reach their city on the other continent. We will not be able to destroy GCA for a long time now that they have a city in GWT's land, and there is no point in us continuing to have self-induced perpetual war weariness. Also, we could avoid any casualties that we would receive from the attack on Blacksand with the same result as if we kept fighting: their removal from our continent. MRex, though it is true that we had an agreement with
    CDG to wipe them off the planet, do you see any real purpose in continuing this war even after they are off our continent, until we can sail ships over there and take them out? The end result would be the same.

18. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

First - War Weariness affects BOTH parties. So there is no benefit to be gained from it. If GWT provides safe haven for GCA, and GCA persists in maintaining a state of war with us (or the other way around), then we should consider them allied with each other and as such, declare war on both GWT and GCA. Thus, everyone must deal with this overblown concept of War Weariness.

Second - Offering a peaceful evacuation of their troops from our continent is laughable. If it were offered to any one of you, would you ever take such a deal, especially considering that you would have to traverse ocean squares in galleys to do so? And do not fool yourself into thinking that there is no harm in offering, because there is. It will only show weakness on our part and serve to give them hope, strengthening their resolve to hold on to their last city in our hemisphere until the end, knowing that whatever damage they do to us here, means a much longer time before we can do anything to them over there.

Don't waste Zarn's valuable time. He's got more important things to do like negotiate with Poly for that chokepoint city, which I might add was established rather quickly (implying that they had a settler in waiting - not very neighborly of them). Also, I doubt our negotiations for that city will go very favorably if Poly knew that we didn't conquer a single GCA city and we're going to entertain the notion of peace with our mutual enemy.

19. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

Hm. Are you sure poly doesn't know that we haven't conquered any of GCAs cities yet? Haven't we said on several occasions that GCA are razing their cities?

20. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

This whole concept of making peace with these people sickens me.

Bah... you all do whatever you want. Make peace with the devil. See how far that gets you. I wash my hands of this discussion.