(25a) Counterproposal: Sphere of Influence can only be proposed by current CS ally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
Counterproposal to this: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/proposal-sphere-of-influence-rework-amended.679350/

I don't have an innate problem with the original proposal, save that its going to be a large scale effort. Updating the AI to account for this is a lot of work, and there are a lot of finer details to work out. We have discussed a number of these on discord, and already there are divisions forming on how best to do them.

Therefore, my counter is to go with a very simple change that gives us an immediate benefit to a known problem. And then later on if people want to work on a grander proposal that provides an even better solution, then by all means.

Proposal: The Sphere of Influence proposal works just as it does today. The only difference, only the current CS ally can propose it for a given CS.

Rationale: This greatly reduces the AIs ability to spam the SOI proposal in the WC, aka you are less likely to see the queue filled with these proposals. Further, this means that SOI at least require a bit of investment on the part of the player, you can't just try and snag any CS in sight, you at least have to make a conservative effort to become the ally first in order to "lock it in".

This provides some nice reasonable curbing of the SOI power, but with a coding change that is very easy to do and requires no AI changes, aka its something we could in place right away.

While this is simpler, it's also more boring. If we don't have the coding power to implement the other idea then I guess this is ok. This is more of a fix solely to reduce SOI spam rather than a feature to improve SOI.

I mean more boring gameplay-wise, as the only thing that changes in game is SOI becomes less spammy.
With the other idea you can have more options/interaction through the influence race, more chance for diplomacy/military flexibility which is the better part of civ.

While this is simpler, it's also more boring. If we don't have the coding power to implement the other idea then I guess this is ok. This is more of a fix solely to reduce SOI spam rather than a feature to improve SOI.
Yep, its simple, boring...and it works.

Again, I am not opposed to a grander proposal, but it is a lot trickier to implement, and its going to take time and discussion to get it to a good place to implement (we had a long discussion on this today on discord in fact). so I would rather get a quick solution that could be implemented immediately and deliver real benefit right away, and then after more discussion if people want to go for a cooler, grander SOI, I'm all for it.

Im not a fan of the SOI, perhaps there should be a decay time for it like 30 turns or so scaling to game speed, I personally dont like the Diplomatic stuff Im forced to have it on as years before it was an optional mod. If coding allows id go far as Doubling the decay time in Statecraft Policy or something... or from a Wonder like Palace of Westminster. I dont know, Scrapping the SOI all together would be on my wishlist ;)

I sponsor this proposal.

Proposal Sponsors: Recursive.

(Sponsors have indicated that they are able and willing to perform the code changes required for this proposal if the community votes Aye on it. Other coders are free to sponsor this as well. A proposal without a sponsor will not advance to the Voting Phase.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom