2650BC: Iron Working from hut. Iron in BFC!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Ray Patterson, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Ray Patterson

Ray Patterson the dude is not in

The very turn I was about to found my copper city, I pop a goodie hut with the most awesome of goodies above Chieftain: Iron Working. And look at that:

Spoiler :

Iron right next to my capital! Pretty insane. Do you think I should relocate my settler? Seems like it's still on a good site for a second city. Especially considering Isabella is so close and has founded Hinduism (! rare for her to go anywhere but Buddhism). And I have a lot of trees. The gems can come after Madrid is mine.

Thoughts? Jealous? Monarch/Epic/Continents by the way.

Also, I am really starting to understand why people (TMIT in particular) dislike huts. Admittedly it was already a strong start (loads of trees and non-protective civ nearby), but this changes strong into cruise control to domination.

Edit: and if you're wondering about the quarry: I popped Masonry before, so I actually had masonry before BW.

2. bakshi

bakshi Prince

I would settle the gems/elephant/sugar/cow site but then I like happiness. I have been in a game where the AI gets writing from a hut. I know this because I was playing marathon and it was like turn 20 and after meeting him he wanted to open borders.

3. Zink

Zink Chieftain

Same here, that was the last game i played with huts.
    In that game i also got 3 slave revolts within short time. Last game i played with events too :lol:

Topic: That's lots of hills :crazyeye: I'd just settle over there anyway since it's midway towards Madrid and has great production to aid your rush. Once Isabelle is gone that city will nicely connect your empire.

4. shulec

shulec Grrrrr... I AM the force! Hall of Fame Staff

I was playing a deity game where I popped three huts (which is good luck in and of itself) and I got An Hus, Archery, and HB Riding. Now that is a recipe for a horse archer rush. Unfortunately, I got eaten by barbs before putting my plans into motion.

5. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

Obviously it is now peanutbutter-jellytime!:banana:

About the settler, I would possibly position him to have the pigs in the first ring, so 1E. I am unsure about your scouting though. Where is Izzy, and why are you not settling to block her off? You seem to be able to settle a bit further east but ou have not scouted there. How would you know how big a priority settling over there is?

6. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Popping HBR from a hut at 3400BC has got be be my favourite.

RE your game, I would've settled SE towards the Cow/Copper site. Where you are is alright, I'd probably move 1NE onto the plains hill for the extra hammer in the city tile.

7. drlake

drlake Emperor

Very nice! I popped Monarchy from a hut a game back, that was about the best I've seen.

I'm starting to consider not playing with huts and events, though. I dunno...

8. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

I seem to recall Sisiutil popped Astronomy from a hut in an ALC game . . . :)

9. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

I remember one game somebody was playing Rome and popped bronze working and iron working with the following 2 huts and got iron in the BFC too. :p

And yes I have also popped astronomy from a hut once. That was really nice.