(26b) Counterproposal: Trailblazer Scout Promotions Rework

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineappledan

Deity
This is a counterproposal to @ilteroi's proposal for removing double movement abilities from the scout line. link here.
His proposal adds % withdraw chances as recompense for the lost double movement abilities. Withdraw chances have already been removed from the scout line in the past, because they were random chance mechanics and unpopular with certain members of the community.

Here is what I propose:
All Recon Units have base 3:c5moves: moves (affects Pathfinder, Scout, Paratrooper, Special Forces, XCOM. Explorer and Commando are Unaffected)
  • Trailblazer 1:
    • +1 Sight.
    • Ignore movement penalties on forest, jungle, and hills.
  • Trailblazer 2:
    • +1 :c5moves:moves.
    • Ignore movement penalties from desert, snow, marshes, and rivers.
    • no penalty for attacking over rivers.
  • Trailblazer 3:
    • Ignores ZOC.
    • Can cross mountains and embark
    • +20%:c5strength: CS Outside friendly territory.
Other promotions:
  • Scouting 1(Available at TB 2 and Survival 2): +1 Sight
  • Scouting 2: +1 :c5moves:moves
  • Scouting 3: removed
  • Frogman (New promotion):
    • Available at TB III
    • Costs 1 Move to Embark and Disembark
    • No penalty to attack from embarked
    • +50%:c5strength:defense when Embarked

Last edited:
Gotta point out that there's still overlap with Iroquois, Inca and Songhai UA.

My issue with these proposals is that every one of them just feels a way over the top reaction. The goal is not to reinvent the whole line again, the goal is just to tone down the exceptional high speed movement of the unit.

So TBI for example. +1 speed (with the usual +10% Cs outside friendly land), that's all you need. Now you have a unit that ignores terrain at 3 speed, its slower in forest than it was before, but is also faster in desert than it was before. So in some cases its stronger, some its weaker, overall pretty well balanced. Anything more than that is just overthinking the problem.

TBII is the one that's a bit tricky. We could go with another +1 speed, that gets us back to teh "crazy" movement, but it does take longer to get their than before. It also doesn't stack with the scouting +1 movement bonuses, so you never get to the "really really really high speed".

If people want to keep things about 3 speed, than the +1 sight idea makes some sense to me (with the usual +10% CS outside friendly and ignore ZOC still thrown in). Nice, in some terrain a bit weaker than TBII was before, in case terrain (heavy forest no desert) its a tad bit stronger. Again seems well balanced.

so even though this is a counterproposal to mine i would sponsor it because it's good. also i'd do almost anything to get rid of double movement promotions.

@ilteroi Sponsoring a proposal is not an endorsement, just a willingness to make the changes if the community votes in favor of them.

Proposal Sponsors: ilteroi.

(Sponsors have indicated that they are able and willing to perform the code changes required for this proposal if the community votes Aye on it. Other coders are free to sponsor this as well. A proposal without a sponsor will not advance to the Voting Phase.)

oh i am endorsing it!

but not the other counterproposals. which raises a question. what happens to orphaned counterproposals after the others have been voted on?

oh i am endorsing it!

but not the other counterproposals. which raises a question. what happens to orphaned counterproposals after the others have been voted on?
If 3 out of 4 counterproposals get sponsored, than only those would make it to the voting phase I imagine.

let me rephrase - once any proposal from a set has been ratified, all counterproposals become obsolete, even if they have not been voted on. right? or do they stay around to come an haunt us later on?

let me rephrase - once any proposal from a set has been ratified, all counterproposals become obsolete, even if they have not been voted on. right? or do they stay around to come an haunt us later on?
All proposals which don't get sponsored or don't get approved by vote are moved to Failed Proposals.

If they don't get approved by vote, they can't be proposed again for 30 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom