29 Great People

OKScientist

Chieftain
I am so proud of myself! :)

In one of my last games before BTS arrived, I managed to get 29 great people! My game was:
patched Vanilla, Noble difficulty (I specifically wanted to concentrate on GP generation), large map (didn't want too many wars, just a lot of land to choose my city spots carefully), and Marathon speed.

I was playing with Elizabeth (being Philosophical helped) on a Fractal Map, and the start was semi-isolated, as it was only me and Nappy on my continent. I killed Nappy by 80 AD to get Paris and the opportunity to concentrate on GP with Pacifism.

I ran Pacifism from 540 AD and on, and Mercantilism from 1250 AD and on. I also built the Parthenon in 560 BC.

I am sorry I have no screenshots, but here are some details:

London (wonder building city): 11 GP
Nottingham (a lot of clam and desert around, NEpic city): 7 GP
Paris (conquered in 80 AD): 4 GP
York: 1 GP
Lyons: 1 GP
Hastings: 1 GP
Tech-related: 4 GP (Music, Economics, Physics, Fusion -yes, all of them, it was on Noble!)

So, as you can see, I concentrated the GP generation on 3 cities, and that's the way I feel it works best (instead of concentrating on 1 or 2), as the 2nd and 3rd cities fill in the gaps when the GP points required are too many.

Totally, I got 13 scientists, 5 prophets, 4 engineers, 4 artists and 3 merchants.

I got my first GP in 550 BC, had 3 GP by 1 AD, 10 GP by Liberalism (1145 AD). Last GP was in 1706 AD.
I ended up with a 1707 AD Space Race win. It only took so long because I didn't have coal to make railroads and boost my production for the spaceship parts. Also, I didn't want to conquer anybody for coal, since I didn't want to quit Pacifism and lose concentration on GP generation, which was my main focus.

OK, enough with my bragging. Have you kept track on your best GP generating games?

A more interesting question would be "How many Great Generals have you got in a game?" :p

But i haven't tried very hard getting a lot of great people so i would guess 12-15 or so would be my highest.

Good job with 29 GP. I got to 20 once not including the free ones (got three that game) so it would be 23 on Prince marathon/huge map.

Also, I didn't want to conquer anybody for coal, since I didn't want to quit Pacifism and lose concentration on GP generation, which was my main focus.

I wage wars of conquest in pacifism all the time. The extra maintenance cost doesn't amount to much, particularly if you're on noble and/or have a small but technologically advanced strike force.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

Unfortunately I haven't kept note of how many GP points my capital was generating. I seem to remember around 150, but I am not sure at all. Also, I don't know how that scales for different game speeds.

I think, the key is that I didn't have 1 GP farm, I had 3 of them, on purpose too. I cannot prove it theoretically (not even to myself), but my best GP generating games have these common characteristics:
- Philosophical leader.
- Isolated or Semi-isolated starts (me and one other civ only in the continent, max) and peaceful strategies (for wonder building and pacifism). If surrounded by other civs all over, Pacifism is out of the question and the Parthenon is rarely worth the hammers.
- 3 or at least 2 GP farms: Capital with wonders, NE city (I now avoid to build it in capital), and ideally some enemy capital with a lot of fish. When I used to have 1 GP farm only, I remember getting less GP...

PS. In BTS, there are great spies, great generals, and also great people appearing when you complete quests. So I guess I have a good shot to break my record.

Svv, I just saw your 2nd message. I haven't tried that with Pacifism to be honest. The thing is, when I am all surrounded by other civs, my games go *a lot* better through wars than with great people focus. For example, I never build the Parthenon in those cases, I just build axes to get the land. Even if I build the Parthenon, I notice that I don't get so many GP then, because my strategy is focused on war. (maybe I am doing something far from optimized, but I can't spot it).

haha, about the hammer thing... with corporations and levees in BTS i was able to produce 973 hammers in my capitol... now imagine if I were running bureaucracy...

Edit: This was without any micromanagement. I'm sure if I had some workshops instead of the boatload of farms it would have been significantly higher... I might go back to the save to see how high I can get it ;)

Dave, I have never made it to 29 GP with the NE in the capital. When I put it in the capital, the first 10 GP or so come fast, but then it slows down (as the GP points needed increase, while the capital GP points reboot every time).

I agree that you are going to get the first few GP very fast with the NE in the capital. But then it will slow down too much, I have found.

PS. I wouldn't mind to be proved wrong with an example, of course!

Top Bottom