2D fallback for Leaderscene completely disables voiceover?

DudeWithThePC

Chieftain
Hey everyone, want to start this post by saying thank you to everyone here and on the Civ5 forum as i've learned a lot recently from all the wonderful tutorials, but i've hit a wall and I believe it's an engine limitation.

I followed the tutorial for custom voiceovers in GnK for custom voiceovers with a 2D leaderscene. This works, but ONLY if there is a 3D model present. Even if I use in built voice clips, the audio only plays if there is a 3d model present, as soon as the 2d takes over there is no audio. Which really quite sucks as the main reason i'm doing this mod requires some custom voiceover, without it the mod will literally be 10% of what it could be.

To set up the VO, i've done the following:

In my Leader_Scene.xml, defined fallback .dds for all tiers of affinity
Set the environment to use Leader_Environment.xml for all tiers of affinity
Set the object ID LeaderName.fxsxml for all tiers of affinity

In my LeaderName.fxsxml did a complete copy paste of the entirety of Brasilia's Tier 2 Supremacy .fxsxml, with the single change being TimedTriggers being changed to leader_trigger.ftsxml

Made NO changes to leader_trigger.ftsxml for testing, also setup an audio script with a working voiceover line that DOES work

In my leader_environment.xml I again set the fallback .dds to the same as the Leader_Scene.xml
And also set the Object to Brasilia's Tier 2 Supremacy model
Removed EVERYTHING else, the camera, lighting, etc as per the tutorial

Now...in my testing, i've done the following:

Disabled the object in the leader_environment.xml, which caused the static 2D scene. No audio played but working 2D scene.
Reverted everything to stock. Normal voiceover played.
Using stock files, disabled the model only. 2d leaderscreen of Brasilia, NO voiceover.
Changed landing voiceover line to my custom line, which played.
Disabled fallback image in leader_environment, only using the Leader_scene to define fallbackImage. Still showed 2d leader.
Disabled model reference in Leader_Scene. 2d leaderscene, no audio.
Re-enabled model in Leader_Scene, this time going into the leader fxsxml and disabling the Mesh field, causing the game to fallback to 2d. No audio.
Disabled the model and BOTH 2d fallback in every file I could. Got a nice placeholder image saying "REPORT ME AS A BUG." No audio again.

I'm kind of at my wits end. I don't know what else to try to get it to work.

The next thing's im going to try tonight are either going to be playing the voiceover as basically a non-looping background music track, or creating a flat polygon in Blender and texturing it with my 2d leaderscene.

But if anyone has any ideas or insight into thing's I have missed, please let me know.

Leaderscenes in general are very very very wonky in BE for some reason. Even adding 2D leaderscenes with no custom dialogue causes all sorts of problems. My suggestion is to keep that aspect of your project on hold for now until Rising Tide comes out.

Top Bottom