2K/Firaxis gives boot to Gamespy and adds the Steam Workshop

What exactly does this mean? A different interface for mods?

The steam workshop is apparently now integrated into Civ 5.

What that means is you can browse via Steam to find mods. It allows you to subscribe to the mods there, and they'll download/install when you go into Civ 5 next. Given that mods aren't 'normally' auto-installed, you'll likely have to go into the ingame mod section to work with them still.

The key thing here is that the workshop has more 'user friendly' components for mod users. Not sure how things have changed for mod creators though.

Does this mean you can use mods directly through the game on Mac now, or does this really have no effect on it?

Well I imagine that makes it easier, because you don't have to go to the forums and download a modpack. The other thing it will be done integrated through steam, linking automatically to your game, which is rather convenient. What I was wondering will it install the mod, or do you have to still go in an install the mod via the mod browser in game?

Steam Workshop works very well for Skyrim, so this is good news (although I can't comment on how Civ V's mod system currently works, since to be honest, I haven't downloaded a mod yet).

Steam Workshop works very well for Skyrim, so this is good news (although I can't comment on how Civ V's mod system currently works, since to be honest, I haven't downloaded a mod yet).

I agree. It's almost too easy to find/download/play mods from the workshop for Skyrim (and Portal 2 puts even that to shame).

As a mod creator - and someone very interested in getting a Gods and Kings version of my mod up and running asap - this seems very positive news. I never uploaded my mod to the modbuddy system (partly due to the size of it) but feel that the Steam workshop system will make it more accessible and easier to download.

Great news. As said the Steam Workshop has really proven itself with Skyrim.

On a separate note: It's great to see mods in general getting a standardised and professionalised approach. Mods are what gives games additional longevity and variation and really gives PC gaming an edge

Can anyone speculate (based on other games using this system) if there is a size limit? Or if there is, can it be expanded in any way? My mod is going to exceed 100 Mb when it includes the full art set.

:( is it weird that I'm upset this got 13 replies while my own thread made less.. and strangely enough, my thread is in General Discussion xD.

Either way, I don't really care about the workshop.. it's .. meh. I don't even use mods anyway.

What do you think?
Will this fix all the issues with the game's multiplayer, like the random disconnects at the ends of turns? I mean, there could be a mod for that, right? <.<

What do you think?
Will this fix all the issues with the game's multiplayer, like the random disconnects at the ends of turns? I mean, there could be a mod for that, right? <.<

Its not fixing anything, its just changing the database where mods are released.

Top Bottom