1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2K Greg's recent posts on the 2K forums

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by V. Soma, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Uh, that's not what was said at all, but you can read what you want. He said serious threats (which could include death threats) are deleted. He didn't say whether or not they were banned (which I presume they are) and he did admit that threads that deal with repetitive topics are closed down and redirected to one large thread that already discusses that topic.

It's no different than here (although I think the threshold is lowered slightly when it comes to repetitive topics, I've still seen some locked down). And flaming and trolling posts get deleted (that's why they have the big red moderator action tags for).

2. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Actually, that is precisely what he said; things serious such as threatening murder have their posts deleted, which is rare.

Therefore, posts should never be deleted for things like a flame or trolling, or saying that they don't like Civ 5, because those types of things are no where even in the same vicinity of being close to something as serious as murder. But obviously this doesn't seem to be correct, as many others have mentioned.

So, you said that flaming and trolling gets deleted, but 2K Greg says that only things such as murderous death threats get deleted... How come 2K Greg isn't being truthful in the matter?

It's a big conspiracy theory! J/K!

3. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: I realize that you guys are responding to a post by Greg, but please remember that CFC would prefer if other forums' moderation policies were discussed as little as possible as it really has nothing to do with Civ the game or CFC. Thanks. :)

4. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I don't understand the perception that 1) Civ5 is more of a wargame than Civ4 and 2) there's not enough building to do. Regarding the first point, it seems about the same to me, albeit a different style. I am spending far less time building military units in Civ5 than I did in Civ4. And the second point, I have been spending far less time "building" wealth or research in Civ5 than I did in Civ4. I am finding lots of building to do in Civ5, even as I have always been more of a warmonger in every Civ game. I also concentrate on production and specialty cities and I am finding lots of buildings to work on to boost hammers or gold.

5. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

OP updated

6. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

One reasonable argument I've heard is sort of roundabout, but basically, Civ5's war system is more intricate than before, and the building is less complex with fewer choices, so the balance seems like it's more war heavy.

It's really the most reasonable answer to the vague complaint about it being more war gamey. Though tbh, I think that complain is overblown/exaggerated , so it's kind of just a rationalization of a gut feeling not really a factual complaint.

7. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

I'm not so sure about that. From the limited games I've played, V is more weighted towards war than builder. Although tbh, the AI is totally brainless in that respect, and there are some glaring.... gaps in the air and naval warfare aspects of the game.

8. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

What aren't you sure about. And it's funny you just repeat the same charge with no evidence backing it up then throw a random complaint to make it look like its substantiate

I'm merely repeating an explanation that's been given by one of the posters who actually try to explain their position and it seems most reasonable. There's more to war due to 1UPT but fewer buildings, which offsets the balance. I sort of find that most reasonable in largely a sea of white noise about this 'it's a wargame' argument.

9. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Ah yes, my apologies son. I forgot how much you enjoy copius amounts of links, hard data, SS, and assundry data that is crossed referenced in order for someone to post an opinion. So please, allow me to rephrase.

IMO, after the number of limited games i've played, my personal observations are thus ( insert previous quote here). Also, IMO, I still think the air/naval aspects of the game are lacking. There ya go son, all fixed now.

10. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

Er... the charge is 'the game is less fun for a subset of players who prefer building to war'. The evidence would be 'those players have reported they are having less fun.'

It doesn't really get any more complicated than that. :p

11. Justicex

Justicex Prince

I think the charge is valid that the game is more war-centric, which would explain the reduced number of things to build. If there are less buildings you need to build, there is less distraction from builing that panzer army you always wanted.

Also too, it's a pretty lame and obvious tactic to get us to build and actually de-specialize our cities or keep our civs smaller when a number of the wonders can't be built without having a barracks in every city for example. What an interesting way to try to distract us from having less buildings :D

12. YoHo

YoHo Warlord

Greg's comments on the 15th about the QA process are dead on.
    It interleaves with something I said a couple weeks ago. Likely, a number of bugs and gameplay issues WERE discovered before release. Likely they were aware of flaws in the AI and such, but they probably couldn't get a resolution that passed QA in time.

Deadlines are often inflexible. Or at least less flexible. I know that is the case in my experience as a QA and System Tester for "Not games." The business demands a completion date and sometimes setbacks can simply not be accommodated. The PC game industry is especially bad about this, because it is like movie. You need to time a release so you can have the most focused eyeballs and so you can start recouping the investment....Its not a pretty process, but it is how the capitalist world works.
    I think we and 2kgames/Firaxis are Lucky that there was a release candidate that was as complete as it was when it needed to be released.

Not an excuse for incomplete or broken games, just an acknowledgement of reality. You can't always get what you want.

13. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

YoHo, I agree. I'm develop C# applications at work and know all about the cascading effect of changes. That's why I have spoken against early mods, except for testing and prototyping purposes.

14. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

Oh yes, definitely. Mods like that or that are a pinnacle of human achievement, and modders who created them surely are risking a lot of cascade effects, that's why they need rigorous QA before the release in official patch!

15. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Guardian_PL. Obviously those were not the sort of mods he was talking about. But technically even the auto unit cycling mod could be broken by a patch, not that it would be necessary anymore after the patch :mischief: and not that it would be hard to fix. :mischief:

16. marekb

marekb Warlord

2K Greg about D2D pre-order bonus:
    (http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95375)

17. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

added quote to OP...

18. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

This one is brilliant.
    Ever heard the sound of complete despair? :lol:

19. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

Oh my god. Too bad he isn't a Firaxian, otherwise this would have been the winner in the "Favourite Firaxis quotes" thread. :lol:

20. 2K Elizabeth

2K Elizabeth <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

Technically, that's correct. Happens a bunch to my Outlook inbox, which can certainly be a bugger. ;)