1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2K Support Lied to Me!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by Munchkinguy, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Munchkinguy

Munchkinguy Chieftain

I was having problems with choppy wonder movies (even after the patch), so I emailed technical support. Here is their response.
    That is not true. According to the Official Civilization VI Support Page, the minimum is 256. (Not to mention that they spelled "due" improperly.)

2. Paccali

Paccali Chieftain

These guys are a bunch of morons. They can't do anything correct. I'm about to call their Corporate office in New York. I can't get anyone on the phone, and I can't return the defective beta that they sold us. When they decide to release the real game, I'll be thrilled. If I were Sid, I would get my name removed from this box.

3. dkehler

dkehler Chieftain

Well, if you happen to be running Windows XP, than 256 megabytes of RAM most certainly isn't enough. It's hardly enough just to run Windows XP.

And by the way, they spelled "do" absolutely correctly in the context in which it was used.

4. StyxNCa

StyxNCa Chieftain

Their grammar isn't very good either. The correct statement should be, "The problems you are having are due to the fact you need a minimum of 512mb ram on your computer. You have 256mb ram.",

I can barely make out what they are trying to say in the way they said it. No wonder they are having problems. It sounds like a 7 year old is working on it.

5. Neon Deon

Neon Deon Prince

So your running this game on win 2000 and not XP?

6. RDomico

RDomico Chieftain

I have Windows XP and 256mb of RAM and it runs fine for me.

7. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

Minimum means minimum - the minimum to run the game without any fancy stuff. It also says on their website that you need 512 MB if you have WinXP.

8. Natronomonas

Natronomonas Warlord

Just be glad Take2 Tech Support actually got back to you.

256mb is really not enough - these days "recommended specs" should usually be read as "required specs".

If stuttering wonder movies are your only problem, you're actually doing pretty well with this game.

9. Munchkinguy

Munchkinguy Chieftain

Yes, I have XP. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough. :( Apperently Windows Vista will actually allow programs to run faster...

Maybe I should just buy an iMac, and wait for the Aspyr Media version of Civ to come out.

10. alexpro14

alexpro14 Chieftain

i have the same problem as u but i have 1 gig of ram. its got nothing to do with ram

11. Underseer

Underseer King

The problem also isn't the game, at least that's my suspicion.

I downloaded a utility from the makers of Bink video so I could view the movies outside the game. The stutter prevented me from seeing them in the game, and I just wanted to seem them without the slide show thing going on.

So I installed the relevant utility (RADtools) and set about double-clicking on the various movies to watch them. The movies played fine, but if anything else was going on, I got the stutter. If I moved the window while playing the movie, I got stutter. If I closed another application (a small one at that) during playback, I got stutter. This is with the game not running at all.

Based on that, I think the problem may be with the video card drivers, the sound card drivers, or with the Bink codec itself.

12. atomant

atomant Chieftain

Strange. I did the same thing and the movies played great without CIV4, no problems with the Bink player. I even created a replacement intro.bik file to use. It also played fine outside the game. Playing it using the so-called game, the new movie is jerky just like the other movies.

13. robaughjr

robaughjr Warlord

2k is feeding you a bunch of bull. I tried my game on an inlaws pc with over 700 mb ram and it did the same thing.

14. dkehler

dkehler Chieftain

It's true that more RAM is no guarantee that stuttering movies will be fixed. I have 1GB of RAM and the movies stutter (before and after patch).

HOWEVER, running Win XP with only 256 MB of RAM is begging for problems. RAM is cheap these days and you will be amazed at how much better/faster an XP system will run even with 512 MB as opposed to 256. Been there, done that.

15. Paccali

Paccali Chieftain

Yeah, I mean, you can get a stick of 512 MB for less than 35$ on Newegg.com. 256 MB is even cheaper.

16. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

That support page is, to put it mildly, out of date. The minimum requirement was changed to 512Mb on XP on about the first day the game was released, and is now generally regarded as the minimum needed on any system. Yes, it is rather dodgy to change the minimum listed specs after the game has been released, but 512Mb is now the minimum.

As to the choppy movies this doesn't seem to be a RAM issue, since they've been reported runnng perfectly on 256 and badly on 2GB. Civ 4 seems remarkably inconsistent on what it requires to run properly.

17. Zevus

Zevus Chieftain

Did for me - I had 1 GB of ram and had the stuttering wonder movies (as well as the insanely crazy slowdowns on large and huge maps), upgraded to 2GB and problem went away. No other changes.

18. Dr Corbett

Dr Corbett Chieftain

Ah; although DDR2 ram is indeed cheap now, some of us (cough, cough) are saddled with two problems.

a) Living in Canada / other minor country
    b) Being cursed with RDRAM.

Now imagine that you're that person (cough) and have to get more ram. It's almost cheaper to buy a new computer.

I play Civ IV on my newer laptop, and it's fine.

However, on my Desktop, the 256mb of RDRAM is hardly sufficient to run XP. It has difficulties, however, running exotic and memory intensive programs like Windows Notepad or Internet Explorer.

(By the way, part a is also relevent; if I am recalling correctly, I am fairly certain newegg and other such places do not ship to Canada.)

19. Guerra

Guerra Warlord

For Canadians,

there are better options than newegg.

Try Canada computers. If it exists, they probably have it at dirt cheap prices.