[Vote] (3-06) Proposal: Move oil to dynamite

Approval Vote for Proposal #6 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GeneralAmadeus

Chieftain
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented.

You can vote for both options, which is equivalent to saying "I'm fine either way", but adds to the required quorum of 10 votes in favor.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 3, Proposal 6

Proposal Details:
Move oil reveal and oil well from combustion to dynamite.

Reason:
Changing the location would give the player more flexibility. If a player would go to combustion for the tanks and discover he had no or very little oil it might make combustion a lot less desirable. Getting oil from dynamite would give the player good info in advance and the possibility to change course or perhaps more time to seek some alternative sources for oil. Also it would allow the player to place some oil wells before he gets tanks to use them on. Several other resources do it this way (Iron, aluminum, uranium). Also it would give players the option to temporarily skip tanks to get to aircraft faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proposal Details:
Move oil reveal and oil well from combustion to dynamite.

Reason:
Changing the location would give the player more flexibility. If a player would go to combustion for the tanks and discover he had no or very little oil it might make combustion a lot less desirable. Getting oil from dynamite would give the player good info in advance and the possibility to change course or perhaps more time to seek some alternative sources for oil. Also it would allow the player to place some oil wells before he gets tanks to use them on. Several other resources do it this way (Iron, aluminum, uranium). Also it would give players the option to temporarily skip tanks to get to aircraft faster.
Plus, it is historically accurate as the first tanks came many years after oil production started.

I am opposed to moving strategic resources away from things that use them. It turns SRs into nothing but trade commodities, divorced from any use for a number of turns.

It's bad enough that's already the case with iron, aluminum and uranium, as you say. I consider that a shortcoming of the mod, and not something to use as precedent.
1672941367791.png

Here is the current Dynamite and Combustion techs. This is another case where, if you remove Oil reveal and Oil Wells from Combustion, you will leave it a desperately impoverished tech. Only 1 unit and a situational building.

I don't have an issue with moving the oil reveal to dynamite, I do think its nice to be able to plan your strategy based on what you have (and since an oil lack can be a big deal, its good to know if you are flush with oil or going to need to get creative with its acquisition).

I don't agree with moving the oil well though, I think its fine to reveal at dynamite to know if combustion is a good tech to go for, but you should still have to go there to get the benefit of that oil.

So wait, this is a ratification option now, so that means if we vote yes for it, its permanent, no follow up ratification?

I am opposed to moving strategic resources away from things that use them. It turns SRs into nothing but trade commodities, divorced from any use for a number of turns.

It's bad enough that's already the case with iron, aluminum and uranium, as you say. I consider that a shortcoming of the mod, and not something to use as precedent.
View attachment 649788
Here is the current Dynamite and Combustion techs. This is another case where, if you remove Oil reveal and Oil Wells from Combustion, you will leave it a desperately impoverished tech. Only 1 unit and a situational building.
While I agree that bronze working will be a less attractive tech without the iron reveal, I don't agree that this is the case here. Combustion is only attractive for war mongers IMO. If you go for other victory types, and are not hard pressed to defend, the tech is almost useless. But if you go for domintaion, it unlocks the most powerful late game unit line. And the tech becomes even better for war mongers with the earlier oil reveal, since you can get landships online much faster with oil wells already up. It only becomes less attractive if you have too little oil. But in that case you are at a disadvantage anyway. No need to trick you into researching an otherwise useless tech on the gamble to find oil.

I don't have an issue with moving the oil reveal to dynamite, I do think its nice to be able to plan your strategy based on what you have (and since an oil lack can be a big deal, its good to know if you are flush with oil or going to need to get creative with its acquisition).

I don't agree with moving the oil well though, I think its fine to reveal at dynamite to know if combustion is a good tech to go for, but you should still have to go there to get the benefit of that oil.
Moving the reveal without the well feels like a bad idea. It would mean that cities or great people that got placed on oil already can produce it and instead of waiting for combustion players can place GP improvements on it. You would also get it from effects that grant oil like Foreign Service.

No, you need to research Construction to get the Stone/Marble bonus even if you settle on them. It should be the same with Oil.

Proposal sponsored by DImensiondog.

Top Bottom