[Vote] (3-07) Proposal: Archeologists ignore border restrictions

Approval Vote for Proposal #7 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented.

You can vote for both options, which is equivalent to saying "I'm fine either way", but adds to the required quorum of 10 votes in favor.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 3, Proposal 7
Proposal:
Archeologists can go into enemy territory without requiring open borders.

Rationale: The idea here is to take the archeology race up a notch, and make it more like the faith race in the early game, or a wonder race, etc. The problem right now is, the AI jealously guards their dig sites, and so as archeology approaches, they common start shutting down open border agreements (even if you aren't even intending to take artifacts). So that means the majority of your archeologists only really fight over the open area artifacts, all the ones within borders generally goes to that person.

With this option, that race heats up. Now you can send archeologists to other civs more readily, and they can do the same to you. Speed and diplomacy become more important, as you want to prevent AIs from declaring on you while you rack up some penalties for taking their sites. Vice Versa, if you ignore archeology for too long, you'll find your dig sites gobbled up.

Last edited by a moderator:
AI only denies their own Open Borders if they hate you (Guarded/Hostile). You can always freely dig around friendly civs, at the cost of their friendliness and Open Border renewal.

I'm kind of okay with either way.

As long as you could do something like force open a border with a war and plunder another civ's sites that way, I think this is a change on the margins.
I wonder if this might end up just proliferating into the AIs having grievances against everyone, because everyone's archaeologists are going everywhere without restriction? Might need to get @Recursive involved in this for his opinion, as to whether or not a change like this would mainly end up tanking all AI diplomacy, both with the player and between themselves?

I'm kind of okay with either way.

As long as you could do something like force open a border with a war and plunder another civ's sites that way, I think this is a change on the margins.
I wonder if this might end up just proliferating into the AIs having grievances against everyone, because everyone's archaeologists are going everywhere without restriction? Might need to get @Recursive involved in this for his opinion, as to whether or not a change like this would mainly end up tanking all AI diplomacy, both with the player and between themselves?
It shouldn't, no. AI has existing code to decide whether a player is a "bad theft target".

Though, the AI may certainly hate you for stealing their artifacts, especially if they're playing culturally.

Proposal sponsored by pineappledan.

Please refresh my memory - If I park a civilian or military unit on a archaeological site, would that block a rival's archaeologist from moving onto that hex? What about my civilian/military unit on a archaeological hex within the borders of a City-State or civilization with which I open borders -- will that block a third Civ from swooping in?

Please refresh my memory - If I park a civilian or military unit on a archaeological site, would that block a rival's archaeologist from moving onto that hex? What about my civilian/military unit on a archaeological hex within the borders of a City-State or civilization with which I open borders -- will that block a third Civ from swooping in?
No.

Has the bug where AI archaeologists can override human worker/archaeologist's work on a site (build road, improve digsite) been fixed?

I kind of think any archaeologist should be able to override a worker (or else you could maybe use workers to block them effectively with micro) but they shouldn't be able to override other archaeologists. I'm not sure if that's how it works now but that's how it should work.

Top Bottom