[3.11] No colours in tech tree

Teaf

Warlord
Playing without the Gameplay mod, so the map, tools and UI mods. The tech tree has no colours in it so you can't see what you have researched. It's still playable but it's a bit of a pain. Searched for "tree" and "tech" but didn't see anything, sorry if it's a repost.

Capture.jpg

Without the "Gameplay mod"?

I take it from this you mean you have installed and activated only CAT, but not CEG?

Without going into the "Why?". Could you provide you log files please?

Without the "Gameplay mod"?

I take it from this you mean you have installed and activated only CAT, but not CEG?

Without going into the "Why?". Could you provide you log files please?

Oddly, can't reliably recreate it. I think it's something to do with the Map mod, when I start using that things get a bit screwy. Instead of the above happening when I was trying to recreate it, my settler and warrior at the start had a bunch of promotions available and when founding the city the tech tree looked like it did in the first post.

Mods I'm using::
mods.PNG

Promotions screenshot:
upgrades.jpg

Log File:
View attachment Lua.txt

I can at least help with the 'promotions thing'.

Somehow the game has issues with the cache that affect how mods are handled.
Did you by chance happen to start one game, even a vanilla game, and then quit to the main menu and start another?

I logged an issue about this type of behaviour and it appears it is beyond the control of modders to fix.
The upshot is, don't re-start games without first quitting to the desktop. You may experience this bug.

Its a pain I know, but one we will have to put up with.

Although I haven't seen the techtree error myself, it is quite likely the two are related, even different symptoms of the same thing.

I can at least help with the 'promotions thing'.

Somehow the game has issues with the cache that affect how mods are handled.
Did you by chance happen to start one game, even a vanilla game, and then quit to the main menu and start another?

I logged an issue about this type of behaviour and it appears it is beyond the control of modders to fix.
The upshot is, don't re-start games without first quitting to the desktop. You may experience this bug.

Its a pain I know, but one we will have to put up with.

Although I haven't seen the techtree error myself, it is quite likely the two are related, even different symptoms of the same thing.

Ah I see, thanks for that. I know that it can get a bit... "weird" if you continue a modified game that you did "Restart Game" on from the menu, but didn't know you had to completely exit the game and from memory I think I did go back to the main menu and load up another.

Sorry, two posts in a row.

Looks like the tech tree issue is not related however I got a proper lua.log for it this time. This is what I did:

1. Started the game from Steam
2. Clicked "Mods", and turned on all the mods except the "CEG" one
3. Chose Venice, picked Communitas map, click "Advanced Setup" but made no changes
4. Start game
5. Founded city on the spot I spawned on, started a Scout
6. Pressed Tech Tree big blue button to pick something, had the small menu that came up, pressed "Open Technology Tree" and got the same screenshot as shown in my original post.

Lua.log file for that game:
View attachment Lua.txt

Hmm...

Must still be a cache issue. The log shows a call to a lua function checking for:
PROMOTION_AMBUSH_VANGUARD_1
This is a promotion only defined in CEG.

With whatever file manager or other utility you like, delete everything in your cache folder.
Typically it is found at:
C:\[your user name]\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Cache

This should clear any references to CEG that are still left behind. Then start your game as described and see what happens.

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for not using CEG?

Hmm...

Must still be a cache issue. The log shows a call to a lua function checking for:
PROMOTION_AMBUSH_VANGUARD_1
This is a promotion only defined in CEG.

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for not using CEG?

None really, I'm not specifically not using it because I don't like it or anything. I always used GEM for G&K just haven't gotten around to getting to grips with CEG yet. I will at some point as I loved GEM. I'll try deleting the files you mentioned in the cache area and see if that works, thanks for the continued help!

Top Bottom