[Vote] (3-12) Proposal: Changes to Respect and Righteousness virtues

Approval Vote for Proposal #12 (instructions below)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Legen

Emperor
Voting Instructions
Players, please cast your votes in the poll above. Vote "Yea" if you'd be okay if this proposal was implemented. Vote "Nay" if you'd be okay if this proposal wasn't implemented.

You can vote for both options, which is equivalent to saying "I'm fine either way", but adds to the required quorum of 10 votes in favor.

All votes are public. If you wish, you can discuss your choice(s) in the thread below. You can change your vote as many times as you want until the poll closes.

VP Congress: Session 3, Proposal 12

Spoiler Dojo virtues :
Respect: +15% :c5strength: Combat Strength VS Melee and Gunpowder units.
Righteousness: +20% :c5strength: Combat Strength VS Wounded units.

Honor: +15% :c5strength: Combat Strength outside of friendly territory.
Loyalty: +15% :c5strength: Combat Strength inside friendly territory.
Courage: +15% :c5strength: Combat Strength when attacking.
Self Control: +15% :c5strength: Combat Strength when defending.
Sincerity: +50% Experience gained from combat.
Benevolence: Units in adjacent tiles receive +5 HP when healing.

All virtues share the following effects:
- Combat strength increases with damage taken.
- Heal 10 HP after defeating an enemy Unit.

Important detail: Righteousness's CS bonus vs wounded units only applies when attacking, despite its tooltip description suggesting that it can also apply when defending.

Proposal:
  • Respect changed to "+20% :c5strength: Combat Strength when attacking units above 50% health."
  • Righteousness changed to "+20% :c5strength: Combat Strength when attacking units at or below 50% health."
Rationale:

The reason to change Respect is due to its behavior not matching the unit type (melee+gun, mounted+armor) it is on, which is the theme expected of it. This is an old complaint, players wanted a Respect mounted unit to fight better vs other mounted melee, not vs infantry. It is particularly glaring with the addition of naval melee as eligible units for the virtues, as Respect is only applicable to them when attacking embarked units. Back then, the devs had responded that adjusting Respect around unit types would require new code, so it is reasonable to look for an alternative effect instead.

Righteousness's main issue is that it is, in practice, a better version of Courage ("15% :c5strength: CS when attacking"). It should be a conditional, but stronger, version of Courage; for the times you don't satisfy its condition, you're compensated with an extra +5% :c5strength: CS on the times you do. However, the wounded condition is very easy to satisfy, only needing 1 previous damage from an ally. A single ranged ally can do it so consistently that, with some minimal planning, your Righteousness unit is practically never attacking a full health unit. As such, this proposal gives it a stricter condition, lowering its overall power closer to Courage's.

The choice of both having mirror conditions (enemy above vs below 50% health) follows how half of the virtues are currently designed (honor vs loyalty, courage vs self control), a theme missing from these two's current effects. It should also help keeping them at comparable power levels, but with varied niches nonetheless. Respect's +20% :c5strength: CS follows Righteousness's concept as a conditional, but stronger, version of Courage's; without that extra +5% :c5strength: CS, both virtues end being strictly worse versions of Courage's unconditional effect. Especially so when considering that Courage's effect works when attacking cities, who don't count as units for these two's effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or just revert the change that added it to ships, because it's kind of silly and it stacks up on the Imperialism finisher.

Wouldn't have to fix this if you hadn't broken it :undecide:

I can sponsor this.

Or just revert the change that added it to ships, because it's kind of silly and it stacks up on the Imperialism finisher.

Wouldn't have to fix this if you hadn't broken it :undecide:
The points on both virtues stand regardless on how Respect acts on naval melee units.

Proposal sponsored by Legen.

Would like top point out that by any consistent application of the veto rules, this is changing the Japanese Bushido promotions while we already have an approved, but not implemented change to those same promotions.

Like, I don't even care, but this clearly violates the exact same rule even more overtly and precisely than what got my proposed changes to Forge and reformation vetoed in this same round.

Would like top point out that by any consistent application of the veto rules, this is changing the Japanese Bushido promotions while we already have an approved, but not implemented change to those same promotions.

Like, I don't even care, but this clearly violates the exact same rule even more overtly and precisely than what got my proposed changes to Forge and reformation vetoed in this same round.
By the narrow interpretation standard, changing the nature of two of the promotions, and allowing all of them to apply to naval melee units, are separate.

This is what I meant by these subjective judgement calls. Which is why I'm getting rid of the problem entirely.

Top Bottom