1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3 most wanted leaders!

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Haresus, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Aquila SPQR

Aquila SPQR Prince

Why? Please, tell me at least one thing (when thinking about civilisation) where Native Americans surpassed other Civs. For example - Egyptians - built pyramids. Sumerians - at least they invented, and been using, a wheel. Greeks - philosophy, architecture etc. Countries of west and eastern europe have made significant progress in past 1000 years - from barbarians to really modern countries. And what progress did Native Americans do? If the europeans didn't land there they would be still running half naked and living in shacks...

Better news flash: other standard civs achieved higher level of civilization and were, for example, capable of understanding engineering and able to build huge stone buildings. Native Americans failed to achieve it and did a gigantic leap only after contact with europeans.

See the difference?

So always a BIG NO to new American Natives leaders. I know that it would be great thing for Americans and descendants of Native Americans who live in US (so few more American customers will be happy) but including next Native American leader (or even whole Native American civ) is silly. As silly as adding Inuit civ, Pygmy empire or Mighty Australian Aborigines Empire of Hopping Kangaroo.

2. Midnight-Blue766

Midnight-Blue766 The filidh that cam frae Skye

Li Shimin/Taizong?

3. Midnight-Blue766

Just like those barbaric Agricultural Hurons, those primitive, confederation-forming Iroquois, the backwards, never-building-ANY-totem-poles-or-Viking-like Haidas, the never-building-any-elaborate-societies-or-terraces Incas, those third world never-bulding-any-pyramids-or-forming-any-elaborate-political-relationships Aztecs and especially those no-good-never-forming-any-advanced-states-and-ESPECIALLY-never-making-ANY-elaborate-calendar Mayans?

P.S. So you're willing to boot Monty, Pacal and HC?

4. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I laughed pretty hard. :D

Reminds me of the Dan Quayle Civ.

5. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Akbar (India)
    Harun al-Rashid (Arabia)
    Timur (Persia? Mongolia? Timurid faction? I don't care as long as he's there somewhere)

6. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

...and that restoration took place through embracing all things European.

Me.

Should we have George VI instead of Churchill? Wilhelm I instead of Bismarck?

I would've thought Industrious to be a given for any Japanese leader of the period. And then Imperialistic probably makes most sense, seeing as it was imperialism rather than simple aggression that Japan embarked upon.

7. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Yeah, I was looking at the Civics more in terms of name than actual effect.

8. Pikkis

Pikkis Prince

My three favorites at this time:

Lorenzo de' Medici (Republic of Florence) - to represent the city-states of renaissance Italy

John III Sobieski (Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth) - because Poland should be in the game; I chose the leader quickly and there may thus be leaders that suit better than him

Meiji (Japan) - Japan should get second leader and Meiji is possibly the most important leader in the history of Japan

These are the ones I think most deserve to be in the game, so I didn't put a Finnish leader on the list even though I'd like to see Finland represented in an official Civ release.

Swedish leaders (Gustaf II Adolf and Gustaf I Wasa) are quite high on my list of favorites, but not in the top three.

9. Aquila SPQR

Aquila SPQR Prince

We are not talking about Incas, Aztecs or Mayans. We are talking about Native American Civ - which in game resembles Hurons, Iroqouis, Sioux etc.

Do you really compare totems to for example egyptian temples or ziggurats?

Since it's onlyabout leaders, not new civ, I'd like to see Hitler, Lenin and Caligula.

10. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

1. Gustavus Adolphus
    2. Alfonso the Wise of Castile
    3. Prince Shotoku of Japan (7th century - he was outlooking and was responsible for introducing a lot of cultural impulses - and people - from outside Japan)

11. Haresus

Haresus Chieftain

Seems i can put some more civs+leaders in my "wanted leaders list"!:goodjob:

Keep em coming!;)

12. Midnight-Blue766

No, but what about the burial mounds of the Adena Culture and the like? In addition, did you see that the Haidas, the Hurons and the Iroquois on my list?

Back to topic:

-Jan Sobieski of Poland (Pro/Org)
    -Harun al-Rashid of Arabia (Ind/Phi)
    -Akbar the Great of India (Cre/Cha)

13. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Was it your thread that proposed Alfonso the Wise for Spain's second leader before? I'm liking your selection criteria.

14. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Well, technically, the Incans, Aztecs, and Mayans were/are Native Americans. Having a "Native America" civ is comparable to having a "Europe" civ. There were many tribes. Either way, several tribes did have some good accomplishments. And to say that they would never have advanced without European contact is, frankly, idiotic.

I can understand Hitler, and maybe Lenin, but Caligula? Why?

15. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I agree with your first half completely--if anyone hasn't seen the History Channel's Engineering an Empire, they did some really good stuff on Aztec and Mayan construction, including aqueducts they built in the middle of the jungle and their pyramids.

I think the explanation for those three leaders in particular can be explained as an attempt at humor. If you want some tyrannical Romans, you have Domitian, Commodus, Caracalla, and others. If you want a decent ruler, you can look to the period of the 5 Good Emperors and get either Trajan, Hadrian, or Marcus Aurelius (for some reason, other posters don't show Antoninus Pius any love). If you want a crossover with the Byzantines, Constantine seems to be the consistent choice. Caligula had to have been picked for the humor value. I can only conclude Hitler and Lenin were as well.

16. pesgores

pesgores Deus Vult!

Hitler.
    Another Spanish Leader.
    Some Polish Leader along with Polish civ.
    Civ and Leader for Mekong area civ.
    Gustavus Adolphus for Sweden.
    Getulio Vargas for Brazil.
    Another Portuguese leader.

17. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

@Antilogic:
    From a previous thread:

on being asked to explain his choice of Caligula:
    Not quite sure how they were picked for humor value.

18. Zenon_pt

Zenon_pt Civing on the real world

To add 3 over the very larg list of Civ Leaders, here's my choises:

* JFK (USA) I was listening today over JFK, and I agree on what they told about him. He was a master in Media, and create a great empaty with the American people and also over the world. And according to them, he was elected the 2nd most important US President of all time (the 1st one was Lincoln).

* I agree with the majoraty of the forum. Japan shoulds have another leader. Between Meeji and Minamoto Yoritomo.

* Now for the 3rd, it's complicated:
    1st - I would love to see new civ's
    2nd - I would love to have another leader for Portugal (also)
    3rd - Besides the Incas, South America need another civ

So the Brazilian civ - D. Pedro I (the 1st Emperor of Brazil)

*another sugestions:
    - Fidel Castro (Cuba)
    - Nelson Mandela (South Africa)
    - Bolivar (Gran Colombia)
    - D. Afonso Henriques, D. João I and Marquês do Pombal (Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo) (Portugal)
    - Charles V (Spain)
    - Henry VIII (England)
    - Some from Thailand, maybe Rama I (I don't know the history)
    - Arkab (India)

19. EMT

EMT Hated by the Spaniards(?)

Cambodia, the Nahuatl, Guatemala, modern Iranian romanticists, turks, Irish, Scots, and Brittanians, South Africans, and some Peruvians/Bolivians/Ecuadorians beg to differ that they don't exist anymore.

20. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

Yes, it was. Thank you. I think that if Frederick the Great of Prussia can be chosen to represent all of Germany (something most Germans don't seem to mind), then Alfonso the Wise should certainly be a valid choice as a more tolerant alternative to Isabella. As for Gustavus II Adolphus, he was one of the most remarkable kings Europe has ever produced, and I am not speaking as a Swedish nationalist here. He and his Chancellor, Axel Oxenstierna, not only made Sweden a military and political major power in Europe; they also did great things to promote learnng in Sweden and its newly acquired territories. The problem is that he would probably not be acceptable as a Scandinavian ruler to Danes or Norwegians; he (and his successors) beat the military bums of Denmark/Norway rather to thoroughly for that.