1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3 most wanted leaders!

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Haresus, Nov 15, 2009.

1. ViterboKnight

ViterboKnight King

Pachacutec, Incas
    Marcus Aurelius, Romans
    Thutmosis III, Egyptians

2. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Somebody likes his Christian mythology. I would doubt that all of humanity seriously sprang from two people named Adam and Eve, but that's a debate for a different thread. ;)

I always figured that the little story "giving the Jews the state of Israel after the brutal Holocaust" was one of those simplistic stories they taught children in elementary school.

I don't have any more of a response than arguing against your quibble: I think people see more media related to the most recent events and believe on a day-to-day basis that these events have the greatest impact on their lives. The reason why I look further back in history is because the setting for those events now would be completely different had people made different decisions in the past (thus rendering the modern decisions irrelevant). For example, whether or not Christianity survived in Europe came down to two battles, one at Constantinople and one at Tours, during the period of expansion in early Islam. Even further back: who would have stopped the Persians if the Greeks failed? No other state was even vaguely organized or powerful enough to hold them back (hell, the Romans weren't even out of Italy and were struggling with the Samnites and a handful of other minor Italian tribes you've probably never heard of). The world would have been "Easternized".

It's a bit of a strawman argument to suggest I would reduce the entire game to a couple of leaders from 10,000 BC (or whenever). Instead, I'm focusing on the major turning points all throughout history, with a graduated emphasis for previous turning points over recent ones.

3. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Eh, I'm certainly far from a creationist myself, 'twas just using them to illustrate a point.

Okay, I was being simplistic (although the Holocaust was an undoubtedly important factor). How 'bout we widen it to the spread of independence throughout the world, and particularly Britain's overseas possessions, that can be attributed to the Second World War, which can be attributed to Hitler. The Balfour Declaration is an equally simplistic explanation as the Holocaust, as it was merely a meaningless declaration designed to gain the support of Zionists in World War One.

Well, undoubtedly, as you go further back in time, events have exponentially increasing impacts on history. However, that isn't really a good metric to determine historical importance, due to that exponential distortion, if you will.

Well, I guess I'm focusing on the same, but with more emphasis on recent turning points and leaders.

4. Zenon_pt

Zenon_pt Civing on the real world

Hum... That's right, I forget one leader over few names already said so, King Soloman of Israel. Yé I'd love to see him in Civ games!

5. Midnight-Blue766

Midnight-Blue766 The filidh that cam frae Skye

(In no particular order)
    1. Tamerlane
    2. Sargon of Akkad
    3. Teddy Roosevelt

6. Barbar

Barbar Chieftain

Can´t decide only on three - so here´s a longer list:

1. Sargon (Sumer?)
    2. Nebuchadnezzar II. (Babylon)
    3. Khosrau (Persia)
    4. Akbar (India)
    5. Taizong (China)
    6. Meiji (Japan)
    7. Timur (Mongols)
    8. Charles V. (Germany or Spain?)
    9. Cnut the Great (Vikings)
    10. Harun al Rashid (Arabia)

7. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I think it is a much better starting point, because it encompasses politics and a somewhat cynical exchange of land for support, which is a common theme throughout history. But yes, giving any single instance is an oversimplification.

My whole point is to recognize that exponential distortion; in my eyes, it's not a bad thing. We can agree to disagree here if you like. :)

8. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Agreed. To disagree, that is. :)