1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3 No brainers for next patch

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by katipo, Oct 23, 2010.

1. katipo

katipo Chieftain

I have to so that so far I am disappointed with Civ 5 - bought it yesterday.

Three things that are obvious must-haves in the next patch are:

1. Get rid of steam

2. Bring back unit stacking - the game is nearly useless without it

3. Make all Civ leaders speak ENGLISH. Who the hell speaks aztec these days??

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

1- not possible now
    2- probably not possible, even in an expansion
    3- why, what is the harm?

3. SneakY BenjI

SneakY BenjI Chieftain

Over a million people speak Nahuatl.

4. katipo

katipo Chieftain

1 I doubt that very much

2 Rubbish - probably only a 5 minute code tweaking job!

3 Not any harm as such, but totally pointless

5. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

1. It is impossible. You can't patch steam with Steamworks built out.

2. It is, actually. There's a mod called Legions that allows infinte stacking. What does take dozens of manhours doings is getting the AI to use it effectively again, getting the interface to work with stacking (since the simple "code tweak" doesn't show all units in the stack) and a lot more.

3. The game being in 3D is actually pointless since you can play it in 2D. In the end, its an aesthetic choice. It isn't a game changer and not really a big deal. You can always just turn their the VOs off. The reason why I don't think most people would want them in English is because it can get pretty narmy pretty fast.

:)

6. Scilly_guy

Scilly_guy Prince

1. Whats the harm
    2. No I prefer 1upt
    3. Learn to read

I thought your no brainers were going to be:
    1. Fix the interface so that it responds quickly.
    2. Sort the AI out so it knows how to play the game instead of simply giving it bonuses to make it harder.
    3. Add my favourite civ X or make my house a wonder or some other trivial addition.

7. logarithm64

logarithm64 Omnipotent Space Lizard

1. Steam is integrated into the software- removing it would have massive repercussions on other parts of the software.

2. Unit stacking encouraged the stack of doom and the one unit per tile rules force you to make strategic and tactical use of the terrain, making the positioning of the army more important. I fail to see how (apart from making it less tedious to move a large army around) stacking would contribute anything to the strategic element of the game.

3. Who the hell speaks French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Greek, Russian, (English) etc. these days?? Okay, seriously, not everyone has English as a native language and many people would be offended by people supposedly representing their country not speaking in their native tongue. Making all of the leaders speak different languages also adds more immersion to the game and makes it feel as if each civilization has its own unique culture and society. How, exactly, would having every leader speak English be advantageous when the game already provides a subtitled translation that most people will read in preference to listening to the leader's voice anyway?

8. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Making units share the same tile is not the same as making it work. I would expect that Steam has a nice contract and lawyers to punish any move to drop them without full compensation.

Firaxis is surely willing to pay them off and put out the money to rewrite Steam out of the process. It just is not on this planet.

9. Vordeo

Vordeo King

Wow. Those might be the three worst suggestions I've ever seen on here.

The first one is completely unfeasible, the second one makes no sense and would require an overhaul of pretty much the entire system, and the third is just really, really weird.

That said, Catherine the Great speaking English with a New Yorker accent would be hilarious.

10. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I agree only with your suggestion No. 2, but even then, it is by no means a job for the next patch. It will simply have to wait to Civ6. Sonereal mentioned some reasons why it would take more than a quick fix, and then another colossal thing to consider is balance, which it would undoubtedly effect.

11. TSGracchus

TSGracchus Chieftain

Steam is annoying. Even more annoying is the opening "movie" which runs every time I start the game. Can it be disabled after the first 5-6 times the game starts?" Sometimes it is just a black screen, but with sound.

The game is graphically improved, but otherwise about the same. Civ III is still more fun.

I think Civ V was a wast of money.

:sad:

12. Willdabeast

Willdabeast Chieftain

1. Do you mean online game distribution "steam" or are you talking about an in-game concept? (I only played the ancient-to-medieval demo so far.)
    If you mean the former (removing Civ 5 from Steam), I think its funny that you think that's in any way a thing they would ever consider doing so.

2. I did like stacking units, but I think they wanted to put more emphasis on strategic positioning. Maybe allowing stacks of 3 units at max?

3. Who the hell spoke English 6 thousand years ago? No one, that's who. Come on. It says all the important stuff at the bottom of the screen. In English.
    If I ever speak to Montezuma, it'd be JUST to hear him speak Aztec.

13. jfuesting

jfuesting Chieftain

You can skip the intro by editing the ini file, search the forums for how to do it. You will instead be treated to a ~15 second black screen, since the game is loading while the movie is playing.